Our Favorite Free Crochet Patterns of 2018
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
There's no better time to reflect on the past than at the start of a new year, and that's exactly what we're going to do here today! We at AllFreeCrochet love sharing free patterns with you all, so it's always exciting to look back and see which of our thousands of patterns you all loved the most. We're used to see some of our tried and true faves in our yearly recaps, but sometimes trends get so big that some brand new patterns make their way onto our lists.
Enjoy our list of the top 100 crochet patterns of 2018 - from crochet afghans and shawls to crochet ponchos and crochet patterns for the home, a little bit of everything made its way onto this list.
What do you think - did we include your favorite pattern? Let us know! In the meantime, did you know you could subscribe to our newsletter and get free crochet patterns sent directly to your inbox? Check it out!
Table of Contents
Crochet ponchos were back and bigger than ever in 2018, and these seven ponchos were your favorites! Loose and airy, these garments are the perfect piece to just toss on over a tee or a tank for a quick cover-up. You can even wear these over a long-sleeve shirt to be even warmer!
Editor's Fave, Cozy Tweed Crochet Poncho: There's something about the oversized drape of this pattern that I can't stop staring at, and the cowl neck design adds a stylish touch to this design. I need one!
- Cozy Cowl Poncho (Free Crochet Pattern)
- Boho Poncho
- Effortlessly Chic Poncho
- Oversized Lean Poncho
- Queen Elizabeth Poncho
- Chic Cowl Neck Poncho
- Cozy Tweed Crochet Poncho
- Ridiculously Easy Poncho Pattern
- Thick and Neutral Crochet Poncho
- Perfect Fall Poncho
- Rainbow Lace Crochet Poncho
- Stupendous Stashbuster Poncho
Crochet scarves are a must for any experienced crocheter! Surprisingly, only six of our patterns made the list, but we think they're some of our absolute faves. Choose from any of these beginner-friendly designs you'll love, from a loopy fashion scarf to simple and airy designs.
Editor's Fave, Aurora Borealis Crochet Scarf: Take a simple repeating pattern in a pretty solid colorway and you've just gone ahead and described the scarf patterns I like to make. The Aurora Borealis Scarf works up so quickly using bulky varigated yarn, and is just so pretty!
Infinity scarves are incredibly stylish, and this collection is the best of the best! 17 Crochet Infinity Scarves You Need In Your Wardrobe
Crochet hats are a must-make for many crocheters - they're quick and simple projects that everyone always needs in the winter, and they're endlessly customizable. These eight hats made our best-of list this year - beanies and slouchy hats were the most popular, but there's a really cute messy bun hat that snuck its way into the list.
Editor's Fave, Celtic Dream Crochet Beanie Pattern - Even if I weren't of celtic descent, I would be all over this beanie design. The dreamy teal color of this beanie packs a punch of color to brighten up even the dreariest of cold days. This pattern might be tricky for beginners, but experienced crocheters will love this fun challenge.
Crochet Sweaters and Crochet Tops
Only five sweaters and tops made the best-of list this year, but they are all fan favorites! Sweaters and tops are a little trickier than scarves and hats since they require more precise measurements and shaping, but a cozy handmade sweater or top will always get you attention and compliments.
Editor's Fave, Victorian Romance Cardigan: You'll never find a crochet sweater like this one in stores. The intricate details give this pattern a vintage flair that is hard to come by in modern designs.
Crochet Shawls and Crochet Wraps
Bigger than your typical scarf and so warm and cozy to wrap around yourself, crochet shawls and wraps are just as popular as scarves to make! These ten designs were some of your favorites for 2018, and all feature simple, repeating patterns anyone can handle. These wraps are stylish and warm and are the perfect little coverup for anything from a holiday party to a chilly day in the office.
Editor's Fave, A One Skein Wrap: Shawls, to me, are more for dressing up so you need to have a little lace. A One Skein Wrap is that perfect combination of lacy but still substantial and warm - and the serene aqua shade it's pictured in is divine! Did we mention it only uses one skein of yarn?
Crochet Baby Blankets
Baby blankets are a little more manageable than regular afghan designs since they're so much smaller, and you guys really love them too since so many of them made our best-of list! From rectangular crib blankets to round and star-shaped designs these little designs are amazing shower or birthday gifts!
Editor's Fave, Nana's Favorite Baby Blanket: The granny stitch used in this blanket is a classic favorite, and the clean lines and crisp colors of the pattern add a modern twist. Plus, it works up quickly, so it is a great project to make for a baby shower gift.
- Rockabye Baby Granny Square Blanket
- Easiest Baby Blanket Pattern Ever
- Calming Crochet Baby Blanket
- Addicting Crochet Baby Blanket
- Light and Lacy Crochet Baby Blanket
- Adorable Sugar & Shine Baby's First Afghan
- Lavender Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Elegant Baby Blanket
- Cuddly Teddy Bear Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Nana's Favorite Baby Blanket
- One Skein Lilac Blanket
Whether you are expecting a baby, or know someone who is, this is a fabulous resource for you to find your next crocheted afghan. If you've never crocheted an afghan before, don't worry; it's really quite easy to learn how to crochet a blanket for babies. How to Crochet a Blanket for Infants & Toddlers
Crochet Afghan Patterns and Blankets
Crochet blankets and afghan designs are pretty standard patterns but are definitely on the ambitious end due to how long they can take to complete. If you have the patience and the time to work one of these up, though, you'll definitely be rewarded! These crochet patterns are snuggly and oh-so-warm! Pro tip: Work with chunky or super bulky yarn to help speed up the process!
Editor's Fave, Lazy Girl Crochet Blanket Pattern: As much as I like to challenge my crochet skills, I can't resist incredibly easy patterns like this one. This design is super easy to memorize and definitely works up quick - I love it!
- Dragonfly Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Lazy Girl Crochet Blanket Pattern
- World's Easiest Afghan
- Mountain Mist Afghan
- Brighton Blanket
- Easy Ripple Afghan
- Laid Back Blue Crochet Blanket
- Easy Jeweled Continuous Granny Square Afghan Pattern
- Magnolia Afghan
- Honestly Easy Tunisian Crochet Afghan Pattern
- 5 1/2 Hour Throw
- Makin' Squares Blanket
- The Granny Block Blanket
- Grandma's Lap Blanket
- Moroccan Tile Afghan
- Easy Crochet Angel Cloud Afghan
- Snow Queen Blanket
- Luscious Lace Crochet Blanket
- Relaxing Rainbow Crochet Blanket
- Mindless Crochet Scrapghan
- One Skein Mini Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Quickest Granny Stripe Crochet Afghan
- Easy Jeweled Continuous Granny Square Afghan Pattern
Christmas Crochet Patterns
Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, and these crochet patterns only make it better! From crochet Christmas ornaments to crochet snowflakes and angels, these were everyone's favorite Christmas patterns in 2018.
Editor's Fave, Jewel Tone Crochet Snowflake: This ornament isn't exactly traditional Christmas colors, but that is part of what makes it so special! This pattern uses hardly any yarn, so you can make one for everyone on your list.
- Lacy Snowflake Pattern
- Jewel Tone Crochet Snowflake
- Irish Snowflake
- Crochet Snowman Gift Sack
- Little Helper Crochet Elf Hat
- Divine Crochet Angel (Free Pattern)
- North Star Christmas Ornament
- Christmas Crochet Ball Ornament Pattern
- Jolly Elf Crochet Hat Pattern
- The Crocheter's Favorite Ornament
- Christmas Heirloom Afghan
- Crazy Cute Crocheting Snowman
Other Crochet Patterns
Finally, we have a little bit of everything in this section. These patterns are the eight designs that didn't technically fit elsewhere, but don't let that deter you! Choose a fingerless gloves pattern, or a crochet bag pattern.
Editor's Fave, Two Hour Tote: There is no such thing as too many bags in your closet. Plus, this one works up so quickly, you have no excuse not to make one in every color!
What was your favorite crochet project of 2018?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
This crochet placemat pattern is so stylish, you'll want to do cartwheels--just like the stitches on this easy crochet pattern. The… Continue reading: "Cartwheel-Worthy Placematvideocam"
- 2770+ Free Crochet Patterns
- Nosey Cozy Crochet Nose Warmer
- Flaunty Flared Crochet Skirt
- Crochet Lilac Flowers
- Our Favorite Free Crochet Patterns of 2018
- 47+ One Skein Crochet Patterns
- 30 Dragon Crochet Patterns
- Fine Coral Beaded Barefoot Sandals
- Crochet Amish Puzzle Ball Pattern
- 30+ Free Caron Cakes Crochet Patterns
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet