Easy Classic Granny Square
Learn how to crochet a classic granny square with this easy-to-follow tutorial.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
A granny square is the quintessential crochet project for beginners or traditional crocheters. This Easy Classic Granny Square is an iconic style that everyone who picks up a crochet hook should know how to make.
Luckily for you, we have directions to crochet a granny square like this. Rhondda from Oombawka is here to walk you through this classic granny square design.
Use this crochet square tutorial to create many complementing-colored squares that can be connected together for a beautiful granny square afghan or use your squares for another project. There are so many ways to use these squares!
This traditional Granny Square Tutorial shows you how to make neat and tidy color changes for every round. If you want to make a solid colored granny square, simply sl st from the last st of your round to the next available ch3sp and replace the initial standing double crochet stitch with a ch 3.
Want more? Sign up for our free crochet newsletter!
BONUS! Click the play button on the video right below to watch a traditional granny square being crocheted in real-time. This is so helpful for beginners and also visual learners.
Crochet HookG/6 or 4 mm hook
Yarn Weight(3) Light/DK (21-24 stitches to 4 inches)
Finished Size5 inches x 5 inches
- 4 mm (G) hook
- DK  Weight Yarn (I used Scheepjes Softfun Denim Yarn)
Find blanket patterns you'll love to use for your new granny squares with this page, 58 Crochet Granny Square Blanket Patterns (Free!)
Classic Granny Square
TIP: If you are making a granny square blanket or a very large granny square (bigger than 16-inches square) I recommend you turn after each round, rather than work the project with the RS facing each round.
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
ch – chain
ch1sp – chain one space
ch3sp – chain three space
dc – double crochet
R – round
RS – right side (aka as the ‘pretty side’ of your work)
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
() – Repeat the instructions between the parentheses the number of times indicated.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- sl st does not count as a stitch in the row end count
- sk all dc stitches unless otherwise specified
- This project is worked with the RS facing for every round
- Join yarn in corner ch3sp can be done with a sl st to join and ch 3, or a standing double crochet stitch. I demonstrated the sl st to join, ch 3 in R2. I used my preferred method in R3-R5
- CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE
How to Crochet a Classic Granny Square:
R1: Ch 4, beg in 4th ch (Note: the sk 3 ch count as 1 dc) and work (2 dc, ch 3). *In the same ch work: (3 dc, ch 3)**. Rep from * to ** 3 times. Sl st to the second st of the round to join and finish off. [12 dc, 4 ch3sp]
R2: Join yarn in any ch3sp with a sl st to join, ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) or use a standing dc to begin the round. In the same ch3sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1). *(3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1) in the next ch3sp.** Rep from * to ** 3 times. Sl st to the second st of the round to join and finish off. [24 dc, 4 ch3sp, 4 ch1sp]
R3: Join yarn in any ch3sp with a standing dc. In the same ch3sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1). (3 dc, ch 1) in the next ch1sp. *(3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1) in the next ch3sp, (3 dc, ch 1) in the next ch1sp**. Rep from * to ** 3 times. Sl st to the second st of the round to join and finish off. [36 dc, 4 ch3sp, 8 ch1sp]
R4: Join yarn in any ch3sp with a standing dc. In the same ch3sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1). (3 dc, ch 1) in each ch1sp across. *(3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1) in the next ch3sp, (3 dc, ch 1) in each ch1sp across**. Rep from * to ** 3 times. Sl st to the second st of the round to join and finish off. [48 dc, 4 ch3sp, 12 ch1sp]
R5: Join yarn in any ch3sp with a standing dc. In the same ch3sp work (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1). (3 dc, ch 1) in each ch1sp across. *(3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1) in the next ch3sp, (3 dc, ch 1) in each ch1sp across**. Rep from * to ** 3 times. Sl st to the second st of the round to join and finish off. [60 dc, 4 ch3sp, 12 ch1sp]
Weave in any ends.
Your square measures 5-inches square at this point.
Easy Classic Granny Square PDF
Want to save this pattern for later or print it out in an easy-to-follow format? Get our free printable PDF.
Click Here to Download
the Easy Classic Granny Square PDF
How to Print the PDF:
Printing this is as easy as 1-2-3! If you're not familiar with printing PDFs, here's the step-by-step, along with a few tips.
- Click the red button right above this section that reads, "Click Here to Download the Easy Classic Granny Square PDF". Or, just click this link here to download.
- Find and open the PDF.
Pro tip: You may see the download appear at the bottom of your browser window, and you can open it from there. Or check wherever your downloads are set to save to (the Downloads folder is often a default location).
- Click the "Print File" button, choose the printer, choose how many copies you want, make any additional adjustments needed for personal preference, and click the "Print" button.
- Grab your hook, yarn, any other supplies needed, and you'll be ready to crochet this beauty!
For more classic patterns like this, be sure to check out our page on 25+ Vintage Crochet Patterns (Free)
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
The Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanie is your new go-to winter hat, and it's available in any size you could want, from newborn all the… Continue reading: "Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanievideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Pretty In Pink Elephant Lovey
- Clustered V-st Crochet Preemie Blanket Pattern
- Ice Cream - Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Boxed Bead Koozie
- Zayd The Boy Crochet Doll
- Zoya Amigurumi Mermaid
- Power Of Positivity Prayer Flags
- Harry The Spider
- Ice Cream Ripple Scarf
- Knit Look Bow
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters