Crochet the Rainbow Granny Square Throw
This vibrant rainbow granny square crochet blanket is ideal for any of the bright people in your life.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Crochet the Rainbow Granny Square Throw is a crochet blanket that is essentially one large granny square, so you can work it as large or as small as you want by choosing how many rounds to crochet when working this up. This crochet blanket is beginner-friendly, so this is perfect practice if you're just learning how to crochet.
Once you've mastered the crochet stitch pattern of this rainbowlicious design, simply keep repeating it, around and around the blanket. Keep the bright and vivid color scheme as in the photo, or you can switch things up with your own favorite color or colors. Though we love the look of this rainbow granny, it would be beautiful in ombre blues, reds, or greens, too!
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeGauge in DC: 13 stitches and 7 rows = 4" (10 cm)
Finished Size40" x 40"
Worsted weight yarn such as Red Heart With Love or Red Heart Super Saver in the following colors:
o Color A - Pink - 64 yards
o Color B - Orange - 97 yards
o Color C - Yellow - 141 yards
o Color D - Green - 185 yards
o Color E - Blue - 229 yards
o Color F - Purple - 304 yards
o Color G - White - 77 yards
- 5.5 mm (I-9) crochet hook
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Find crochet blanket patterns for beginners that are suitable for both children and adults, alike here: 25+ Comfy Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
Granny Square Crochet Blanket Pattern:
-The alt-ch counts as the first stitch of the round.
-You will turn your work after every round.
The first round of stitches is all worked into the 2nd chain from the hook. You can start with a Magic Ring if that is your preferred method.
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
With Color A – Pink
Round 1: Ch 2, in 2nd ch from hook, [make an alt-ch, make 2 dc, ch 2, *3 dc, ch 2*, repeat from * 2 more times], sl st to join in top of alt-ch and turn (12 dc, 4 ch-2 spaces)
Round 2: In the first ch-2 space make [alt-ch, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc], *in next ch-2 space make [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc]*, repeat from * 2 times, sl st to join in top of alt-ch and turn (24 dc, 4 ch-2 spaces)
When the instructions say “in first/next space”, it means the open space between the sets of 3 dc stitches.
Round 3: In first space make [alt-ch, 2 dc], in corner ch-2 space make [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc], *in next space make 3 dc, in corner ch-2 space make [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc], *, repeat from * 2 more times, sl st to join in top of alt-ch and turn (36 dc, 4 ch-2 spaces)
Round 4: In first space make [alt-ch, 2 dc], *in corner ch-2 space make [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc], make 3 dc in each space to next corner*, repeat from * back to start, sl st to join in top of alt-ch and turn (48 dc, 4 ch-2 spaces)
Round 5: In first space make [alt-ch, 2 dc], make 3 dc in each space to corner, *in corner ch-2 space make [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc], make 3 dc in each space to next corner*, repeat from * back to start, sl st to join in top of alt-ch and turn (60 dc, 4 ch-2 spaces)
Round 6 – 8: Repeat Round 5
With Color B – Orange
Round 9 – 13: Repeat Round 5
With Color C – Yellow
Round 14 – 18: Repeat Round 5
With Color D – Green
Round 19 – 23: Repeat Round 4
With Color E – Blue
Round 24 – 28: Repeat Round 5
With Color F – Purple
Round 29 – 33: Repeat Round 5
Round 34: Ch 1, sc in each stitch to corner, *make 3 sc in corner ch-2 space, sc in each stitch to next corner*, repeat from * back to start, sl st to join in first sc and fasten off.
Shell Stitch Border
With Color G – White
Locate the middle SC stitch in the corner ch-2 space, count 3 stitches to the left and join with a sl st in that third stitch. *(Skip 2 stitches, in next stitch make 6 dc, skip 2 stitches, sl st in next stitch*, repeat from * to next corner, in corner stitch make 7 dc), repeat between ( ) back to start, sl st to join in starting stitch and fasten off. Weave in all ends.
- Alternate DC Starting Chain (alt-ch)
- Turn your work, but do not chain. Insert hook in first space, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through both loops, insert hook in front vertical bar of stitch just made, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through both loops.
Now that you know the granny stripe stitch, you can learn how to crochet the granny ripple stitch with this video tutorial!
Who do you want to make this beautiful blanket for?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crochet readers
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
Grab two skeins of your favorite Caron yarn to make this Simply Stripes Baby Blanket. Crochet blankets always make a great homemade… Continue reading: "Simply Stripes Baby Blanketvideocam"
- Christmas Granny Afghan
- "Two Hearts that Beat as One" C2C Square
- With Love Crochet Granny Square
- Desire Crochet Granny Square
- Crochet the Rainbow Granny Square Throw
- Lacy Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- Bargello Crochet Afghan Block
- Hug a Friend Square
- Garden Trellis Afghan Square
- African Flower Granny Square
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Mesh Crochet Sunflower Hat
- DIY Crochet Fringe
- Crochet Father Christmas Figure
- Crochet Christmas Wreath
- Easy 2 Row Crochet Snowflake Or Star
- The Perfect Crochet Mittens For Beginners
- Puff Stitch Slouchy Hat
- Quotidian Crochet Satchel
- Rainbow Hearts Pouch
- Chevron Stripes Pouch
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters