Easy Crochet Slouchy Beanie (North Mountain Slouch)
This crochet slouchy beanie is perfect for beginners and beautiful in any color!
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Simplicity at its best! This easy crochet slouchy beanie, aka North Mountain Slouchy Hat, is the perfect design for a beginner wanting to work on shapes beyond the square or rectangle.
Made using basic stitches with simple increases, this hat will quickly become your go-to pattern for your favorite hat design. The unisex style works for nearly anyone, especially those looking for a no-frills hat that gets the job done.
This easy crochet slouchy beanie hat pattern is a type that anyone can appreciate. It's beautiful in any color and can be made with the addition of a crochet or fluffy and stylish pom-pom on top or left without.
We also love how you can wear it tighter or with the full slouch. It's nice to have a versatile hat that delivers a few different looks. Once you start sporting this one, get ready for the many requests you will get so that your family and friends all have their own, too.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge3 completed rounds will = 4"
Finished SizeTo fit women with a 20-22" circumference head
- 150 yards of #4 Worsted Weight Yarn - Samples shown in Red Heart With Love - Sage, Taupe and Tan 100% acrylic, 198 g/7 oz, 338 meters/370 yards
- J/6.00 mm crochet hook- or hook needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Tape measure- to measure gauge
- Pom-pom (optional)
Learn to crochet all kinds of simple hats with over 50 totally free patterns in this list!
Find it here: 60+ Free Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
Hat measures 22" circumference
Band measures 18" circumference
Height measures 11"
ch(s) – chain(s)
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
st(s) – stitch(es)
RS – right side
sl st – slip stitch
- Hat is worked from the top down in turned rounds.
- Ch 3 is considered the first dc.
- Ch 2 is NOT considered the first dc.
- Stitch count takes place at the end of each row in.
Easy Crochet Slouchy Beanie Pattern:
Rnd 1: Create a magic circle and ch 3, place an additional 11 dc inside the circle OR ch 4, place 11 dc in the 4th ch from the hook, sl st into the top of the ch-3 to join into a circle, turn work. <12 dc>
Rnd 2: Ch 3 and dc in the same st as your join, *2 dc in the next st, repeat from * ten times, sl st into the top of the ch-3 to join, turn work. <24 dc>
Rnd 3: Ch 3 and dc in the same st as your join, dc in the next st, * 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next st, repeat from * ten times, sl st into the top of the ch-3 to join, turn work. <36 dc>
Rnd 4: Ch 3 and dc in the same st as your join, dc in the 2 sts, * 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 2 sts, repeat from * ten times, sl st into the top of the ch-3 to join, turn work. <48 dc>
Rnd 5: Ch 3 and dc in the same st as your join, dc in the 3 sts, * 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 3 sts, repeat from * ten times, sl st into the top of the ch-3 to join, turn work. <60 dc>
End of increase rounds- double check your measurements. Your flat circle should measure 6". From here on down you will be using a ch-2 instead of a ch-3 and it will not count as a st.
The hat will begin to take on a domed shape.
Rnd 6-16: Ch 2 and dc in the same st as your join, dc in each st around, sl st into the top of the first dc (skipping over the beginning ch-2) to join, turn work. <60 dc>
Crochet Hat BAND Pattern:
Rnd 17: Ch 1 and sc in the same st as the join, sc in each st around, sl st into the top of the first sc (skipping the beginning ch-1) to join, do NOT turn work. <60 sc>
Rnds 18-22: Ch 1 and 3 sc in the same st as the join, skip 2 sts, *3 dc in the next st, skip 2 sts, repeat from * around, sl st into the top of the first sc (skipping the beginning ch-1) to join, do NOT turn work. <60 sc>
With the hat turned inside out, weave in all ends, be sure the magic circle is secured tightly. Attach optional pom-pom. Turn right side out and enjoy your new creation!
Easy Crochet Slouchy Beanie PDF
Want to save this pattern for later or print it out in an easy-to-follow format? Get our free printable PDF.
Click Here to Download
the Easy Crochet Slouchy Beanie PDF
How to Print the PDF:
Printing this is as easy as 1-2-3! If you're not familiar with printing PDFs, here's the step-by-step, along with a few tips.
- Click the red button right above this section that reads, "Click Here to Download the Easy Crochet Slouchy Beanie PDF". Or, just click this link here to download.
- Find and open the PDF.
Pro tip: You may see the download appear at the bottom of your browser window, and you can open it from there. Or check wherever your downloads are set to save to (the Downloads folder is often a default location).
- Click the "Print File" button, choose the printer, choose how many copies you want, make any additional adjustments needed for personal preference, and click the "Print" button.
- Grab your hook, yarn, any other supplies needed, and you'll be ready to crochet this beauty!
BONUS! Slouchy Hat Video Tutorial:
Visual learner? Learn how to crochet a similar slouchy hat with the easy pattern used in this video tutorial right below.
Plus, for more like this, sign up for our free
Hooked on Crochet newsletter!
About the Designer:
Lorene Eppolite is the designer behind Cre8tion Crochet- Where Beautiful is Easy. She has been designing since October 2012. She loves to create fun and easy crochet accessories and garments. Lorene strives to make her designs to be achievable for any skill level. Just because it is easy, doesn’t mean it can’t be beautiful. Lorene is also the Creative Director for Furls Crochet.
Follow Lorene on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram.
Visit her designer profile on AllFreeCrochet here: Lorene Eppolite
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
Get all of the mystical beauty of the Northern Lights when you work up the Aurora Borealis Crochet Scarf. This gorgeous colorful… Continue reading: "Aurora Borealis Crochet Scarfvideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- C2c Cluster Stitch Square
- Camila Crochet Cardigan
- Catalina Corner To Corner Crochet Headscarf
- Halloween Mug Rug
- 1 Hour Crochet Beanie
- Tessa Skirt
- Peeking Puff Stitch Cowl
- Crochet Waffle Stitch Tutorial
- Suzette Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Crochet Crab Stitch Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters