We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
If you love granny square patterns, then you have to work up this Makin' Squares Blanket, which is crocheted in rounds like a supersized 39 x 39 inch granny square! This is an easy crochet blanket with clear instructions, so crocheting this will be a breeze. Made with Red Heart Yarn that will be sure to inspire snuggling, this granny square afghan would be the perfect pattern to start on for a special little one—or to treat yourself. Although you can pick whatever colors you like, the yellow and green pattern winding out from the center promises to transport you to your very own yellow brick road and a crochet adventure.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeRounds 1–3 = 4 inches (10 cm); 3 pattern repeats and 1 dc = 4 inch. (10 cm). One pattern repeat consists of 3 double crochet and one chain-1 space; 6 rows = 4 inch. (10 cm). Check your gauge. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished Size39 x 39 inches (99 x 99 cm)
- RED HEART® Baby Hugs™ Medium: 2 balls each of 4201 Sunny A and 4001 Frosting C, and 1 ball 4562 Aloe B
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
reverse sc (reverse single crochet) = Work single crochet in opposite direction from which you would usually work (left to right if you are right-handed and right to left if you are left-handed). This stitch is also known as the crab stitch. It creates a rope-like twisted single crochet edging.
Join with sc = Place a slip knot on hook, insert hook in indicated stitch, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on hook.
Crochet Blanket Pattern
With A, ch 4; join with slip st to first ch to form a ring.
Round 1 (right side): Ch 2 (counts as first dc here and throughout), 2 dc in ring, *ch 3, 3 dc; repeat from * twice, 3 times in ring, ch 3; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—12 dc and 4 ch-3 spaces.
Round 2: Slip st in next 2 dc, slip st in first ch-3 space, (ch 2, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in same space, *ch 1, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space; repeat from * twice, ch 1; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—24 dc, 4 ch-1 spaces, and 4 ch-3 spaces.
Round 3: Slip st in next 2 dc, slip st in first ch-3 space, (ch 2, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in same space, *ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space; repeat from * twice, ch 1, 3 dc in last ch-1 space, ch 1; join with slip st in top of beginning ch— 36 dc, 8 ch-1 spaces, and 4 ch-3 spaces.
Round 4: Slip st in next 2 dc, slip st in first ch-3 space, (ch 2, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in same space, *(ch 1, 3 dc) in each ch-1 space across to next ch-3 space, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space; repeat from * twice, (ch 1, 3 dc) in each ch-1 space to beginning ch, ch 1; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—48 dc, 12 ch-1 spaces, and 4 ch-3 spaces. Fasten off.
Round 5: With right side facing, join B with slip st in any ch-3 space, (ch 2, 2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in same space, *(ch 1, 3 dc) in each ch-1 space across to next corner ch-3 space, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space; repeat from * twice, (ch 1, 3 dc) in each ch-1 space to beginning ch, ch 1; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—60 dc, 16 ch-1 spaces, and 4 ch-3 spaces. Fasten off B.
Round 6: With C, repeat Round 5. Do not fasten off.
Rounds 7–9: Repeat Round 4. Fasten off at end of Round 9.
Round 10: Repeat Round 5.
Rounds 11–14: With A, repeat Rounds 6–9.
Round 15: Repeat Round 5.
Rounds 16–25: Repeat Rounds 6–15.
Rounds 26–30: Repeat Rounds 6–10.
Round 31: With right side facing, join C with sc in first dc after any ch-3 space, sc in each st and ch around working 3 sc in center ch of each ch-3; join with slip st in first sc—3-sc group at each corner.
Rounds 32–34: Ch 1, sc in each sc around working 3 sc in center st of each 3-sc group; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off. Round 35:
Round 35: With right side facing, join B with sc in 3rd sc of any 3-sc group, *ch 1, skip next sc, reverse sc in next sc; repeat from * around; ch 1, skip last sc; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
- A, B, C
- Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.
- double crochet
- single crochet
- work directions in parentheses into same stitch
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
What was your first granny square pattern?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crochet readers
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
Fortune's Crochet Shawlette was inspired by the corner to corner stitch, aka the diagonal box stitch. This twist on the stitch creates… Continue reading: "Fortune's Crochet Shawlettevideocam"
- No-Brainer Granny Square Blanket
- Classic Granny Square Throw
- Lemony Lime Citrus Square
- The Animal-a-Long CAL Afghan
- English Garden Afghan Square
- Crochet the Rainbow Granny Square Throw
- Floral Kaleidoscope Crochet Square
- Makin' Squares Blanket
- Rainbow Diamonds Crochet Granny Square Afghan
- Seashell Granny Square Pattern
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Monochrome Bias Wrap
- Changeover Crochet Cardigan
- Diagonal Granite Dishcloth
- Large Christmas Baubles
- Christmas Pudding Hanging Ornament
- Appa The Sky Bison
- Crochet Toy Basket
- Festive Bunting
- 18" Doll Victorian Outfit
- Hampton Hanbag
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters