14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
50+ Free Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
You are going to love these free easy crochet hat patterns. Find a simple crochet hat or several to make, whether you're new to crochet or not.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Beginners: Learn how to crochet a hat in no time!
For crochet beginners, the thought of crocheting a hat might seem like a complicated feat, but we promise you that it's really easy to learn! Many hats are made by crocheting in the round with increases and decreases, but it's possible to work a hat flat and then seam the edges together.
Learn to crochet hats with over 50 totally free patterns in this list!
This collection of 50+ Free Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners features beginner-friendly stitches and constructions, so don't be intimidated! Took a look at the variety of options pictured below and take your pick. You're just a skein of yarn away from easy, effortless style.
Crochet hats come in so many different styles - beyond your normal crochet beanie patterns, you have the ever-trendy crochet slouch hat, the sunhat, crochet beanie patterns for babies and hats for cancer patients.
There are a few different sections to check out, depending on what you are looking for. The first section has tips on how to figure out the size needed for your own hat. The next section features a written tutorial and video for a cute and easy slouchy hat. If you want something super simple with the help of a video tutorial, be sure to stop there.
After our helpful hints for crocheting hats, we get down to the boatload of free hats to make.
You can find a crochet hat pattern you'll love in any of the following sections: Beginner Unisex Crochet Hat Patterns, Free Crochet Hat Patterns for Women, Summer Hats to Crochet, and Easy Crochet Baby Hat Patterns for Beginners. What are you waiting for? Get scrolling!
For more free crochet patterns, sign up for our newsletter!
Plus! If you're a visual learner, then it might be best to start off with a simple video tutorial. Press play to watch the video below and learn how to make the Easiest Crochet Baby Beanie from our in-house expert, Chris.
Table of Contents
How to Crochet a Hat - Tips!
There are 3 different ways to crochet a hat: top-down, bottom-up, and flat. The first two worked in the round, and the other is worked side to side, in rows. If you’re comfortable with increases, you can learn how to crochet a hat in the round very easily, but otherwise you can crochet a hat without a magic circle.
Are you still new to crochet? Don’t worry! This guide will show you how to crochet a hat for beginners in no time - start with the bottom-up crochet hat and then, once you’re comfortable with increases, go with the top-down design.
How to Crochet a Hat, Step-by-Step:
Before you get started, there are two measurements you should get - your head circumference and your hat length. Your best bet is to get actual measurements of the person who'll be wearing the hat, but there are approximate standard measurements in a chart, below, that can help!
- Head Circumference: To get the head circumference, use a tape measure (or you can use a piece of yarn and then compare it to a ruler) and wrap it around the head, right at the middle of the forehead.
- Hat Length: Using a tape measure or a length of yarn, hold measure the distance from the top and center of your head down to the side, right to the base of the ear.
Now you're ready to make that hat! Check out our extensive guide on how to crochet a hat by clicking on the image shown below!
Beginner Beanie Tutorial
Before we get into all the amazing free patterns, check out this video tutorial for crocheting a beginner-friendly slouchy crochet hat. Follow along, step by step, to see just how it's done with the video or the written instructions below the video... then keep scrolling for more fantastic beginner hat patterns!
- Yarn: Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches) Featured in this Video: Premier Deborah Norville Everyday Collection
- Crochet Hook: H/8 or 5 mm hook
- Yarn needle
Crochet Beanie Pattern:
- Chain 61.
- Round 1: Single crochet in the second chain from hook and in each across, slip stitch to the first stitch to join (60 stitches).
- Round 2: Chain 2, double crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to the first stitch to join.
- Round 3: Chain 1, half double crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to the first stitch to join.
- Round 4: Chain 1, single crochet in the back horizontal bar of each double crochet, slip stitch to the first stitch to join.
- Round 5: Chain 3 (counts as first double crochet here and throughout), 2 double crochets in the same stitch, skip 2 stitches, * 3 double crochets in next stitch, skip 2 stitches, repeat from * around, slip stitch to the first double crochet to join.
- Rounds 6-20: Chain 3, turn; 2 double crochets in same space, 3 double crochets in each space between 3 double crochet sets, slip stitch to the first double crochet to join.
- Close top with a yarn needle to finish.
Beginner Crochet Hat Patterns (Unisex)
Crochet beanies are the trusty and standard classic crochet hats, and their unisex style means that they're perfect for everyone! These simple crochet hats never go out of style, so learn how to crochet a beanie for the whole family.
For a simple design, try the Easy Knit Look Crochet Hat Pattern (shown here). This textured beanie features ridges all around, as well as a gorgeous overall design.
Some of these basic hats can even be used as stylish and easy hats for cancer patients. Now there's a thoughtful and useful gift idea!
- Half Double Crochet Hat Pattern
Use a basic stitch to make this basic crochet hat pattern. It's so easy yet so pretty!
- Summer Breeze Beanie
Use beginner stitches to make this light and airy beanie.
- Faux Cable Knit Crochet Hat
Cables on a crochet hat? Add these faux cables for effortless style.
- Basic Chunky Hat Crochet Pattern
This simple striped hat is good for the most beginner of beginners.
- Have Hope Hat
With two simple stitch patterns, this design works up super fast.
- Quick & Easy Men's Hat
Add a fold-up brim by making your hat just a little longer than you normally would.
- Single Crochet Beanie for Beginners
This super simple project just uses the single crochet stitch for beginner-friendly crocheting.
- Classically Cute Crochet Beanie
This design features a ribbed bottom for perfect fit every time.
- Crochet Slouch Hat
Add a pom to your design, like in this crochet hat, for cute winter style.
- Berries Jubilee Hat
With variegated yarn, you can easily add a whole range of colors without any pesky color changes!
- Snowboarders Slouchy Hat
This ribbed bottom and slouch design adds effortless style to this wintery hat.
- The DC Beanie
For a quick and simple hat, try this design, worked entirely in double crochet stitches.
- Boys Simple Striped Hat
You don't need to work crazy complicated stitches for a stylish design - sometimes just a row or two of a different color does the trick.
- Emily Crochet Hat That Looks Like Knitting
We love the knit-like texture created in the ridges. It also has a stylish slouched look that is all the rage.
- Sweet Hugs Hat
Add a sweet, scalloped edge to your finished design for an instant style upgrade.
- Basic Bulky Beanie
One simple stitch and bulky yarn is all you need for this basic bulky beanie design.
- Oh Boy Slouchy Beanie Hat for Beginner
Perfect for holiday gift-giving, this unisex design packs on the style.
- Simple Double Crochet Bulky Hat
All you need for this super easy design is bulky yarn - and knowledge of the double crochet stitch.
If you can't get enough of these hat patterns, be sure to check out our free eBook 14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
Free Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners (Women)
Work these beginner crochet hat patterns up when you need a stylish breath of fresh air. These trendy hat patterns will instantly light up any fall or winter outfit you wear, such as adorable pom-pom-topped crochet beanies, like the Lolly Poms Crochet Beanie (shown here).
There are also crochet slouchy hats for windy days or any bad hair day, like the Beginner Easy Village Slouch. Learn how to crochet a hat and stay on-trend this fall and winter.
- Snow Drift Crochet Hat
A snug design in a simple stitch pattern makes this perfect winter hat.
- Scalloped Hat and Wrap Around Cowl
This design features a feminine scalloped edge - plus, enjoy a matching cowl pattern!
- Simple Pompom Hat
This beginner hat has everything you want in a winter hat: beginner-friendly design, a ribbed edge, AND a pom pom!
- Gumdrop Slouchy Hat
Make your slouchy hat a two-tone design for instant style points.
- Favorite Style'n Slouch Beanie
Though better for style than warmth, this simple slouch looks great with any outfit.
- Calypso Slouchie Hat
Chunky variegated yarn gives this slouchy hat a funky look.
- Ladies Berries & Bow
Add a bow to the front of your hat, like in this design, for a cute touch.
- Kitty Cat Beanie Hat
Want to try something different with your hats? Try this cat ear beanie - a crochet hat pattern with a twist!
- Beginner East Village Slouch Hat Pattern
This super slouchy design is perfect for the casual, down-to-earth gal.
- 30 Minute Beginner Slouchy Hat
Perfect for when you only have a lunch break or less to spare, this design works up FAST!
- Tender Reina Crochet Hat
Simple and basic, but not boring, this ribbed design is a solid winter choice.
- Quick and Easy Messy Bun Hat
Love wearing your hair up but hate having to stuff it into your hat? Enter the beginner-friendly bun hat pattern!
For more wintery crochet patterns, check out our amazing collection of 32 Messy Bun Hat Patterns
Beginner Summer Hats to Crochet
Learn how to crochet a hat for summer! Even on the hottest days, you'll need some form of a hat to protect your head or shade your eyes - these crochet hat patterns are perfect for sunny days and spring and summertime adventures.
From crochet sun hats, like the pictured Summer Joy, to crochet lace hats, these delicate and airy crochet hat patterns can stand up to the harsh rays of the sun. Use lighter weight yarn and breezy, airy patterns to work up these versatile hat patterns.
Do you love crochet baby hats? Are you looking for more fun, easy crochet hats to make? Try out these 16 Crochet Baby Hat Patterns
Easy Crochet Baby Hat Patterns for Beginners
Crochet hat patterns for kids are so fun to make, especially since babies and kids can get away with wearing adorable animals. Plus, these hat patterns are much smaller so they take less time to work up!
These crochet baby hats and kid hat patterns will make your child's day. Crochet one of these beginner crochet baby hats for a fall or winter day, like the Newborn Crochet Hat (shown here), or make a quick Halloween costume using one of these crochet hat patterns, like the too-cute Little Bear Hat.
- Circus Scrap Hat
Embrace your funky side with this beginner-friendly scrap design.
- Friendly Frog Crochet Hat
This animal hat features an adorable frog and is perfect for your little one.
- Baby Cocoon and Hat
Perfect for baby showers and first birthdays, this bulky yarn pattern works up fast AND is super warm and cozy.
- Toddler Pumpkin Hat
A ribbed design easily transforms into a pumpkin hat by adding a tiny little embellishment up top.
- Easy Newborn Hat
In a rush? Try this super easy newborn hat!
- Animal Hat
Because kids look adorable in silly animal hats!
- Baby Boy's Block Hat
This basic design features one stitch throughout - it's fast and it's easy!
- Fall Harvest Beanie
Fall into fall by using autumnal variegated yarn and a little curlicue embellishment up top!
- Infant/Toddler Santa Hat
The classic Santa hat is now for infants and toddlers in this beginner-friendly design.
- Super Chunky Hat
For a hat design that works up amazingly quick and is supremely warm and cozy, you can't go wrong with this super chunky pattern!
- Ribbed Crochet Baby Beanie
This lovely ribbed hat is adorable, easy, and perfect for your little one.
- The Parker Newborn Hat
This simple, classic pattern features a ribbed edge and simple crochet stitches.
- Basic Baby Hat
Variegated yarn is the easiest way to add color and funky style to any design, just like this baby hat pattern!
- Fuzzy Crochet Bonnet
Help your little one brave the cold with this "fur-lined" (and super adorable) bonnet design.
- Beginner Blue Baby Beanie
Another option for embellishments is a simple button or two - it's so easy to add style to a design!
- Little Bear Hat
For a simple baby hat that has just a bit of a twist, try this little bear hat!
29 Easy Crochet Hat Patterns >>>
What is your favorite crochet hat style?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crochet readers
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
"Dress up your kitchen with this pretty flower dishcloth. The dishcloth features petals worked in gentle cotton for nonabrasive… Continue reading: "Flower Scrubby Dishclothvideocam"
- Crochet Hearts Couple Hat
- Celtic Winters Slouchy Hat
- Crochet Striped Delight Beanie
- Girls Winter Pompom Hat
- Linda's Easy Chemo Cap
- Sephine Slouch Hat
- 50+ Free Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
- Carly Slouch Hat
- Ingenious Any Size Crochet Hats
- Simple Seed Stitch Beanie Crochet Hat Pattern For Men, Women, and Kids in 4 Sizes
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Sapphire Star Granny Square
- Sapphire Star Granny Square
- Diamonds & Twists Cabled Beanie
- Diamonds Cowl & Infinity Scarf
- Argyle Cowl & Infinity Scarf
- Little Princess Sara's Dress
- Double Crochet Beanie
- Simple Spa Slippers
- Picnic Clutch
- Danielle Pillow
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet