14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
Tunisian Crochet How To + 38 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Learn how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch and find patterns to try.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Once you've learned the basic crochet stitches, perhaps you find yourself wanting to expand your skills and learn something new, like how to crochet the Tunisian stitch.
What is Tunisian crochet? Also known as "afghan crochet," Tunisian crochet is a needlework technique that combines elements of both knitting and crocheting. A special hook (called an afghan hook or cro hook) is needed to complete this method of crochet.
To learn how to Tunisian crochet, check out our free tutorials below. Once you think you're ready to test out your skills, scroll down for free Tunisian stitch designs to try.
You'll find crochet afghan patterns, as well as other miscellaneous crochet patterns including clutches, ties, cowls, and more.
Before you begin, check out our how to Tunisian stitch video below. It's a step-by-step video designed to help you through the basics of working up the Tunisian stitch.
Table of Contents
Tunisian Crochet Stitches Instructions
Start Tunisian just like regular crochet, with a set of crochet chains. Then, it's time to work your Tunisian stitch.
How to Crochet the Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss): One row of Tunisian simple stitch is worked in two steps and using the front post of your work as follows, with yarn behind your work:
1. Forward Pass: Skip the first vertical bar; *insert hook under next vertical bar, yarn over and draw up a loop; repeat from * across, keeping all the loops you draw up on your afghan hook.
2. Return Pass: Yarn over and draw through one loop on your hook; *yarn over and draw through 2 loops on your hook; repeat from * until only one loop remains on hook (one row of Tss complete).
How to Crochet the Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks): One row of Tunisian knit stitch is worked quite similarly to the Tss above, except that you use the space under the vertical bar or the space where you would normally insert your hook for a standard crochet stitch. The reverse pass is the same.
(YouTube) Tunisian Crochet Afghan Stitch Videos
Expand your crochet skills to include the Tunisian crochet stitch. Learning a new technique is super easy when you have easy-to-follow free tutorials like these.
You can learn not only how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, but also how to change colors in Tunisian crochet, how to do Tunisian double crochet, and more.
If you are a visual learner, sometimes it helps to watch someone go through the process for you, which is why we've included so many video tutorials for you to choose from.
You can even test these skills out on the bonus crochet pattern for beginners before venturing on to the other easy patterns!
Beginner and Easy Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Now that you've learned how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, you're now ready to practice!
Find our favorite Tunisian crochet patterns below, from crochet bag patterns to the best accessories. These easy patterns are just what you need to put your skills to the test.
- Afghan Stitch Bookmark
- Tunisian Crochet Flower Dishcloth
- Tunisian Crochet Belt
- Tunisian Extended Knit Scarf
- Be So Wild Tunisian Scarf
- Elegant Tunisian Crochet Scarf
- Tunisian Crochet Pointy Pompom Hat
- Tunisian Crochet Washcloths
- Tunisian Stitch Cell Phone Bag
- Tunisian Crochet Leaf Dishcloth
- Patriotic Tunisian Crochet Placemats
- Quick Tunisian Crochet Cowl
- Tunisian Christmas Stocking
- Two Color Tunisian Wire Cuff Bracelet
- Five Point Pinwheel Motif
- Mitered Square Crochet Pillow
- Rainbow Children's Purse
- Reversible Tunisian Crochet Boot Cuff
- Basketweave Mini Messenger Bag
Intermediate Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Once you've worked up a few easy crochet Tunisian patterns, try out some of these intermediate-level crochet patterns.
These crochet patterns are a little more difficult than the above group, but simply use what you've learned and practiced and you'll work these up super quickly.
- Tunisian Striped Tie
- Top of the Tunisian Crochet Infinity Scarf
- Tunisian Style Pillow Cover
- Tunisian Cable Clutch
- Pretty Pebbles Dishcloth
- Monroe Crochet Scarf
- Afghan Stitch Kitchen Mat
- Tunisian Crochet Crescent Bag
- Practice Makes Perfect Tunisian Potholder
- Tunisian Drop Stitch Scarf
- Tunisian Stitch Crochet Sweater
- Men's Crochet Beanie
- Tunisian Ribbed Cowl
- Foxy Faux-Knit Cowl
- Practice Makes Perfect Tunisian Potholder
Have you ever wanted to know how to use different crochet stitches to spice up your work? With this video, learn how to crochet a spike stitch and add some edge to your finished work. Crochet Stitches: How to Crochet the Spike Stitch
Tunisian Crochet Afghan Patterns
If you think the patterns above were easy, then you're probably ready to tackle one of these crochet afghan patterns.
Each one of these free crochet designs are created using the Tunisian crochet stitch. They're just what you need to give any room of your home an updated look.
Do you know how to work the Tunisian crochet stitch?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
20+ Basic Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet the Magic Ring
Crochet Borders and Edgings: 30 Crochet Tutorials
Corner to Corner Shell Stitch
Learn How to Wattle Stitch
Crochet The Strawberry Stitch
38 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns
How to Crochet for Beginners
Pretty Pebble Stitch
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet