14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch
Tunisian Crochet Tutorials and Projects
By: Jeanette Benoit, Editor, allfreecrochet.com
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Once you've learned the basic crochet stitches, perhaps you find yourself wanting to expand your skills and learn something new, like how to crochet the Tunisian stitch. What is Tunisian crochet? Also known as "afghan crochet," Tunisian crochet is a needlework technique that combines elements of both knitting and crocheting. A special hook (called an afghan hook or cro hook) is needed to complete this method of crochet.
To learn how to Tunisian crochet, check out our free tutorials below. Once you think you're ready to test out your skills, scroll down for free Tunisian crochet designs to try. You'll find crochet afghan patterns, as well as other miscellaneous crochet patterns including clutches, ties, cowls, and more.
Before you begin, check out our how to Tunisian crochet video. It's a step-by-step video designed to help you through the basics of working up the Tunisian stitch.
Table of Contents
How to Tunisian Crochet Simple Stitch
Start Tunisian just like regular crochet, with a set of crochet chains. Then, it's time to work your Tunisian stitch.
How to Crochet the Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss): One row of Tunisian simple stitch is worked in two steps and using the front post of your work as follows, with yarn behind your work:
1. Forward Pass: Skip the first vertical bar; *insert hook under next vertical bar, yarn over and draw up a loop; repeat from * across, keeping all the loops you draw up on your afghan hook.
2. Return Pass: Yarn over and draw through one loop on your hook; *yarn over and draw through 2 loops on your hook; repeat from * until only one loop remains on hook (one row of Tss complete).
How to Crochet the Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks): One row of Tunisian knit stitch is worked quite similarly to the Tss above, except that you use the space under the vertical bar, or the space where you would normally insert your hook for a standard crochet stitch. The reverse pass is the same.
Tunisian Crochet How To Videos
Expand your crochet skills to include the Tunisian crochet stitch. Learning a new technique is super easy when you have easy-to-follow free tutorials like these. You can learn not only how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, but also how to change colors in Tunisian crochet, how to do Tunisian double crochet, and more.
If you are a visual learner, sometimes it helps to watch someone go through the process for you, which is why we've included so many video tutorials for you to choose from. You can even test these skills out on the bonus crochet pattern for beginners before venturing on to the other easy patterns!
Beginner and Easy Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Now that you've learned how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, you're now ready to practice! Find our favorite Tunisian crochet patterns below, from crochet bag patterns to the best accessories. These easy patterns are just what you need to put your skills to the test.
Intermediate Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Once you've worked up a few easy crochet Tunisian patterns, try out some of these intermediate-level crochet patterns. These crochet patterns are a little more difficult than the above group, but simply use what you've learned and practiced and you'll work these up super quickly.
Have you ever wanted to know how to use different crochet stitches to spice up your work? With this video, learn how to crochet a spike stitch and add some edge to your finished work. Crochet Stitches: How to Crochet the Spike Stitch
Tunisian Crochet Afghan Patterns
If you think the patterns above were easy, then you're probably ready to tackle one of these crochet afghan patterns. Each one of these free crochet designs are created using the Tunisian crochet stitch. They're just what you need to give any room of your home an updated look.
For crochet stitch video tutorials, check out 10 Different Crochet Stitches: Video Tutorials
Do you know how to work the Tunisian crochet stitch?
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Learn the Chinese Puzzle Stitch
- 30+ Basic Crochet Stitches
- How to Crochet Borders and Edging
- Crochet Magic Circle Tutorial: How to Crochet the Magic Ring
- How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- How to Read Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide of Tutorials and Patterns
- Crochet Hook Sizes: Choosing the Right Hook Size
- Reverse Single Crochet Stitch Crab Stitch
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Creative Options Crochet Tote
- Cassandra Bolton
- Bethany Sypolt
- How to Crochet the Princess Tiara Edging
- How to Crochet the Reverse Single Crochet Edging
- How to Crochet Sweet Shell Edging
- How to Crochet the Pointed Scallop Edging
- How to Crochet Ruffle Edging
- How to Crochet Curly Q Edging
- 17 Patterns: Crochet for Pets