How to Tunisian Crochet + 28 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Learn Tunisian crochet with this beginner's guide!
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Once you've learned the basic crochet stitches, perhaps you find yourself wanting to expand your skills and learn something new, like how to crochet the Tunisian stitch.
That's why any beginner should read through this guide, How to Tunisian Crochet + 28 Tunisian Crochet Patterns.
What is Tunisian crochet? Also known as "afghan crochet," Tunisian crochet is a needlework technique that combines elements of both knitting and crocheting.
A special hook (called an afghan hook or cro hook) is needed to complete this method of crochet.
To learn how to Tunisian crochet, check out our free tutorials below. Once you think you're ready to test out your skills, scroll down for free Tunisian stitch designs to try.
Scroll down to the end of this page and you'll find crochet afghan patterns, as well as other miscellaneous crochet patterns including clutches, ties, cowls, and more.
Want even MORE patterns?
Subscribe to our daily email newsletter!
You'll receive free crochet patterns sent straight to your inbox each and every day!
Tunisian Crochet Video Tutorial
PLUS! Before you begin, check out this Tunisian stitch tutorial video below. It's a step-by-step video guide designed to help you through the basics of working up the Tunisian stitch. Simply click the play button on the box below to see for yourself.
If you've been wondering how to do a certain stitch, then you'll be able to expand your skills and learn a new crochet stitch with our collection of 20+ Basic Crochet Stitches
Tunisian Crochet Guide for Beginners
Materials Needed for Tunisian Crochet:
1. Tunisian crochet hook: As mentioned earlier, this hook is also known as an afghan hook or a cro hook. These specialty hooks look similar to your average crochet hook but they are longer and have a different end.
A Tunisian crochet hook is around 10–14 inches but there are various sizes available. Because this crochet technique involves moving on and off the hook, the length is important. There is also some sort of cap on the end to keep the yarn from going off the end.
Besides the straight hook and cap version, there are also versions with hooks on both ends, circular Tunisian hooks, and more.
Your pattern should tell you what version and length of Tunisian hook you will need. If it doesn't, you may have to do some deductive reasoning based on what you're making.
A smaller project won't need a longer hook, so a 10-inch straight hook should suffice. If you'll be crocheting in the round, buy the circular afghan hooks.
There are many different types of Tunisian hooks and this post will help you decide which one is right for your next project. Find it here: Tunisian Crochet Hooks Guide: How To Choose an Afghan Crochet Hook
2. Yarn: There is no set yarn for Tunisian crochet but the hooks tend to be thinner, which means a lighter weight yarn is more common. However, again, your pattern should include the type of yarn or a specific brand of yarn suggested. Chunkier yarns can be used with longer or larger hooks.
If your pattern doesn't specify, simply practice with the hook and yarn you plan to use. If the yarn first the hook and the movements are natural, you should be good to go.
3. Standard crochet materials: The special hook is the only extra supply you would need if you already crochet. Some other tools you should have before starting include:
- Yarn needle
- Stitch markers
- row counters
- Ruler/tape measure
Tunisian Crochet Stitches Instructions:
Start Tunisian just like regular crochet, with a set of crochet chains. Then, it's time to work your Tunisian stitch.
- How to Crochet the Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss): One row of Tunisian simple stitch is worked in two steps and using the front post of your work as follows, with yarn behind your work:
- Forward Pass: Skip the first vertical bar; *insert hook under next vertical bar, yarn over and draw up a loop; repeat from * across, keeping all the loops you draw up on your afghan hook.
- Return Pass: Yarn over and draw through one loop on your hook; *yarn over and draw through 2 loops on your hook; repeat from * until only one loop remains on hook (one row of Tss complete).
- Bonus! How to Crochet the Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks): One row of Tunisian knit stitch is worked quite similarly to the Tss above, except that you use the space under the vertical bar or space where you would normally insert your hook for a standard crochet stitch. The reverse pass is the same.
Save for Later!
Want to save these instructions for later? Click the button below to download our Tunisian crochet stitch guide!
Tunisian Crochet Instructions (PDF)
Tunisian Crochet Guide: 5 Things You Need To Know
Wait, there's more! We advise all beginners to Tunisian crochet to read this guide from our friend Alexandra from With Alex. She wrote about the five things you need to be aware of before getting into or starting your first Tunisian crochet project. Scroll down to the end of this guide for her newest color change article, too!
Free Tunisian Crochet Patterns:
Expand your crochet skills to include the Tunisian crochet stitch. Learning a new technique is super easy when you have free easy-to-follow tutorials like these. You can learn not only how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, but also how to change colors in Tunisian crochet, how to do Tunisian double crochet, and more.
If you are a visual learner, sometimes it helps to watch someone go through the process for you, which is why we've included a couple more tutorials for you to choose from. You can even test these skills out on the bonus crochet pattern for beginners before venturing on to the other easy patterns!
For must-see Tunisian videos, check out our page, 10 Essential YouTube Tunisian Crochet Videos.
Once you've followed the tutorials and learned how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, you're now ready to practice! Find our favorite Tunisian crochet patterns below, from crochet bag patterns to the best accessories. These easy patterns are just what you need to put your skills to the test. The next set of projects are all beginner and easy patterns!
Once you've worked up a few of the easy crochet Tunisian patterns above, try out some of these intermediate-level crochet patterns. This next set of projects are perfect for intermediate Tunisian crocheters. These crochet patterns are a little more difficult than the above group, but simply use what you've learned and practiced and you'll work these up without trouble.
- Tunisian Striped Tie - Intermediate pattern!
- Stunning Snowflake Tunisian Crochet Hat - Intermediate pattern, shown below!
- Schuyler Tunisian Crochet Ear Warmer - Intermediate pattern!
- Top of the Tunisian Crochet Infinity Scarf - Intermediate pattern!
- Tunisian Style Pillow Cover - Intermediate pattern!
- Tunisian Ribbed Cowl - Intermediate pattern!
Tunisian Crochet Color Change: 5 Things You Need to Know >>
What else do you want to know about Tunisian crochet?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
The Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanie is your new go-to winter hat, and it's available in any size you could want, from newborn all the… Continue reading: "Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanievideocam"
- 20+ Basic Crochet Stitches
- 30+ Crochet Border Patterns
- How to Crochet for Beginners
- How to Crochet a Magic Ring
- 28 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
- 85+ Crochet Videos for Beginners
- Crochet for Beginners Guide
- How to Read Crochet Diagrams
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns Free eBook
- Sirtaki Relief Crochet Stitch
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Pretty In Pink Elephant Lovey
- Clustered V-st Crochet Preemie Blanket Pattern
- Ice Cream - Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Boxed Bead Koozie
- Zayd The Boy Crochet Doll
- Zoya Amigurumi Mermaid
- Power Of Positivity Prayer Flags
- Harry The Spider
- Ice Cream Ripple Scarf
- Knit Look Bow
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters