14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
How to Crochet the Popcorn Stitch
Popcorn stitch crochet provides one of the most unique appearances. Use the popcorn stitch for all sorts of projects.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
For a fun and unexpected crochet stitch pattern, try popcorn, which looks just like you'd expect!
This page, How to Crochet the Popcorn Stitch, will show you exactly how to create the popular popcorn crochet stitch with a step-by-step written and photo tutorial.
The abbreviation for this stitch is pc and is often found as "crochet pc" when you see it. It's a unique stitch in that it allows for lots of texture. It's also a big yarn-eater, so keep that in mind when starting a popcorn stitch crochet project.
This step-by-step photo and written tutorial below will detail exactly how to crochet the popcorn stitch, so it's great for any skill level.
For an unbelievable appearance that will remind you of popped popcorn kernels, try this crochet technique for all sorts of projects, from wearables to home decor.
After you learn how to popcorn stitch, you will want to check out the fabulous popcorn patterns featured below for some unique ideas on what to make with your new stitch knowledge!
That's right. From popcorn stitch crochet scarves to gorgeous afghans, there's a long list of popcorn patterns you'll want to try right away. You will see how easily you can create the most stunning works of art from yarn by using this creative stitch.
Flowers pop off from granny squares and blankets have 3D aspects that no one will expect when you use this unique technique.
This tutorial was written by Rhondda Mol from Oombawka Design Crochet. Visit her site for lots of tips for beginners, crochet tutorials, free patterns, round-ups, and more!
Looking for more like this? Sign up for our awesome free newsletters!
Find more stitch tutorials in our collection of 20+ Basic Crochet Stitches + Beginner Crochet Classes Online
Learn the Popcorn Crochet Stitch
This popcorn stitch tutorial is easy to follow, making it doable for crocheters of any skill level. You can use the hook size and yarn type and colors of your choice or what is provided with your pattern.
This tutorial uses an H hook and two colors of DK weight yarn but you can choose to use more or fewer colors.
Notes and Pattern Information
- Images follow the written instructions.
- Initial ch 3 counts as 1 dc. You may replace the sl st to join and ch 3 with a standing dc.
- For rows beginning with a (sl st to join, ch 1, 1 sc), you may replace this with a standing sc.
- After Row 2 the project is worked with the RS facing. This means you will need to finish off at the end of each row and rejoin with your next color at the beg of the row again.
- The ch2sp is not worked into for this project. Sk all ch2sp in the project until the finishing section.
- Color 1: blue, Color 2: orange.
Chain a Multiple of 8 + 2
beg - begin
ch - chain
ch2sp - chain 2 space
dc – double crochet
pc – popcorn
R – row
RS – right side
rep - rep
sc - single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st / sts - stitch / stitches
WS – wrong side
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
Work 5 dc in the specified stitch, remove last loop from the hook, insert hook under the front and back loop of the first dc of the 5-dc set and pull the last loop through to complete the popcorn stitch.
Yarn of choice
Crochet hook of choice
Crochet Popcorn Stitch Instructions:
Color 1 (blue): Chain a multiple of 8 + 2 stitches. For this example, I chained 26 stitches. Using DK Weight Yarn  and a 4 mm (H) hook this creates a project 6.5 inches wide.
Row 1: WS: Continue with Color 1 (blue): Sk the first ch, work 1 sc in each rem ch across. Turn.
Row 2: RS: Color 1 (blue): Ch 1, work 1 sc in each of the first 2 sc, ch 2, s 1 sc, work 1 pc in the next sc. *Ch 2, sk 1 sc, work 1 sc in the next sc, ch 2, sk 1 sc, work 1 pc in the next sc**. Rep from * to ** across to the last sc. Work 1 dc in the last sc. Finish off.
Row 3: RS: Color 2 (orange): With RS facing join new yarn in the first sc with a sl st and ch 3. (Note: you may join with a standing dc instead if you prefer.)
1 pc in the next sc, ch 2, *work 1 sc in the next pc, ch 2, work 1 pc in the next sc, ch 2**. Rep from * to ** across to the last pc. Work 1 sc in the last pc and 1 sc in the last dc. Finish off.
Row 4: RS: Color 1 (blue): With RS facing join new yarn in the top of the ch 3 with a s st. Ch 1 and work 1 sc in the top of the same ch. (Note: you may join with a standing sc instead if you prefer.)
1 sc in the next pc, ch 2, 1 pc in the next sc. *Ch 2, 1 sc in the next pc, ch 2, 1 pc in the next sc**. Rep from * to ** across to the last sc. Work 1 dc in the last sc. Finish off.
Rep Row 3 and Row 4 until your project reaches the desired length.
This is what the reverse of your project looks like:
After your final repeat of Row 4, do not fasten off, instead, ch 1 and turn your work to crochet the finishing row.
Work 1 sc in each st and 1 sc in each ch2sp across.
If you will be edging your project you can rotate your work and continue to work sc stitches evenly around the edges of your project; otherwise, finish off and weave in ends.
This is what your finished swatch looks like:
How to Crochet the Popcorn Stitch PDF
Want to save this pattern for later or print it out in an easy-to-follow format? Get our free printable PDF.
Click Here to Download
the How to Crochet the Popcorn Stitch PDF
How to Print the PDF:
Printing this is as easy as 1-2-3! If you're not familiar with printing PDFs, here's the step-by-step, along with a few tips.
- Click the red button right above this section that reads, "Click Here to Download the How to Crochet the Popcorn Stitch PDF". Or, just click this link here to download.
- Find and open the PDF.
Pro tip: You may see the download appear at the bottom of your browser window, and you can open it from there. Or check wherever your downloads are set to save to (the Downloads folder is often a default location).
- Click the "Print File" button, choose the printer, choose how many copies you want, make any additional adjustments needed for personal preference, and click the "Print" button.
- Grab your hook, yarn, any other supplies needed, and you'll be ready to crochet this beautiful stitch!
BONUS! Free Popcorn Stitch Crochet Patterns
Now that you know how to crochet a popcorn stitch, here are some popcorn stitch patterns! Since they each have an image shown, you can see the detail and texture that can be found on anything using the popcorn stitch. Try one or all of these patterns and you will see how fun it is to crochet as well!
- Vintage Lace Popcorn Shawl - Channel your favorite classic movie star with this Vintage Lace Popcorn Shawl. It's dripping with elegance and style.
- Detachable Beard - Make a fun Detachable Beard for all the kids to play with. You won't find a more unique idea to crochet, that's for sure!
- Forever Fabulous Flowers - Shown below! These easy crochet flowers will be a delight to work up, and you will have forever fabulous decorations that will not disappoint.
- Cozy Cottage Crochet Popcorn Pillow - Make your own cushy pillows by crocheting this Cozy Cottage Crochet Popcorn Pillow.
- Popcorn Baby Blanket - Make this adorable Popcorn Baby Blanket for any expectant mother you know. They'll adore it and so will baby!
- Irish Rose Crochet Flower - This Irish Rose Crochet Flower is a beautiful floral crochet pattern that can be used for so many different crochet projects.
- Pocket Prayer Shawl - Shown below! These cloths with a cross pattern made from the popcorn stitch are great to carry around as a reminder of someone's healing thoughts.
- Bumpy Crochet Scarf Pattern - Use a free crochet pattern like this one to make a beautifully bumpy popcorn stitch scarf.
- Popcorn Stitch Blue Marigold - The popcorn stitch gives this crochet flower pattern the layered look of marigolds.
- Popcorn Stitch Exfoliating Scrubby - The Popcorn Stitch Exfoliating Scrubby can be used to remove makeup or sweat, as a washcloth for anyone in the family, and makes a great baby shower gift!
- Chunky Popcorn Waffle Cowl - Not only is this Chunky Popcorn Waffle Cowl stylish and eye-catching, it combines the popcorn with the waffle to create a unique appearance.
- Smitten Crochet Blanket - Shown below! The Smitten Crochet Blanket features the popular crochet popcorn stitch throughout the pattern, giving the blanket an eye-catching look that you will love.
- Popcorn Flower Granny Square - Made with worsted weight yarn, this free crochet afghan square pattern is made using the cluster and popcorn stitches.
- Pop Pastels Throw - Complete with color and row diagram, this Popcorn Pastels Throw is easy to work up and has a delicate look to it. It's a perfect baby shower or birthday gift.
- Spring Green Lacy Crochet Mesh Scarf - Shown below! This lightweight scarf pattern can be used on those slightly chilly spring and summer days. Change up the colors and wear it year-round.
Crochet Stitch Directory >>>
What's your favorite unique stitch?
Let us know in the comments!
Read NextCrochet Tulip Stitch Tutorial
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
Embrace all the comforts of your home with the Comfy Heritage Quilt Crochet Blanket. You may be thinking that crochet and quilting are… Continue reading: "Comfy Heritage Quilt Crochet Blanketvideocam"
- Crochet Tulip Stitch Tutorial
- 20+ Basic Crochet Stitches
- How to Add Beads to Crochet (2 Ways)
- The Best Glue for Yarn Projects
- 30+ Crochet Border Patterns
- How to Read Crochet Diagrams
- How to Crochet for Beginners
- V-Stitch Crochet Video
- How to Crochet a Magic Ring
- Tunisian Crochet Brioche Stitch Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters