Broken Bricks Tunisian Cowl
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
If you're looking for a quick gift to make for someone you care about then this is the perfect project for you. This Broken Bricks Tunisian Cowl pattern is easy to make but creates a gorgeous scarf, perfect for autumn or winter weather and the winds that come along with them. This project is also great if you've mastered the basic crochet stitches and are wanting to challenge yourself as it's an easy pattern but requires you to learn the Tunisian stitch. By the time you're done you'll be ready to make anything using the Tunisian stitch!
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Crochet GaugeBlocked Gauge:
6 (J-10) mm hook: 14 sts x 13 rows = 10 x 10 cm (4 x 4 in)
7 mm hook: 13 sts x 11 rows= 10 x 10 cm (4 x 4 in)
Wool of the Andes Superwash (100% Superwash Wool | worsted | 50 g (1.8 oz) = 101 m (110 yds)),
- Avocado (A)#26324 1 skein
- Grass (B) #26328 1 skein
- Oyster Heather (C) #26317 1 skein
- Tunisian crochet hook size 6 mm (J-10) and 7mm with cable (at least 40 cm (16 in)) or size to obtain the gauge
- Tapestry needle
For AllFreeCrochet's 10th Birthday we're sharing tons of new patterns, including this one. Check out the rest of the patterns and giveaways at AllFreeCrochet’s 10th Birthday Celebration
Tunisian crochet stitches are worked in forward and return pass from right to left, with the number of stitches (loops) increasing on the hook during the forward pass and decreasing during the return pass.
Return pass is worked in the same way for all stitches (rows of stitches) used in this project as follows: 1 ch, *yrh, draw through 2 loops on hook, rep from * until 1 loop on hook.
- Ch- chain
- st(s)- stitch(es)
- ES- end stitch
- tss- Tunisian simple stitch
- tps- Tunisian purl stitch
- tks- Tunisian knit stitch
- yrh- yarn round the hook
- lp(s)- loop(s)
- pul- pull up a loop
- RS- right side
- FP- forward pass
- RP- return pass
- approx.- approximately
- rep- repeat
- mtfpdc – modified Tunisian front post double crochet stitch
- Right edge stitch- This is the first stitch and is not usually worked into because there is one loop on the hook left after completing the return pass of the previous row. This one loop corresponds to the first stitch of the new row.
- Left edge stitch- This stitch is referred to in the pattern as the End Stitch and is crocheted as follows: Rotate the end of the fabric towards yourself, insert the hook under both bars (left and right) of the last st, yrh and pul.
First row of Tunisian crochet: Insert the hook in the back bump of second ch from hook, yrh and pul across. Standard return pass.
Tunisian simple stitch: Insert the hook from right to left under front vertical bar of the next st, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
Tunisian purl stitch: Bring yarn to the front on the work and hook, insert the hook from right to left under the front vertical bar of the next st, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
Tunisian knit stitch: Insert the hook from front to back between the front and back vertical bar, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
Modified Tunisian front post double crochet stitch: Yrh, insert the hook from right to left under the front and back vertical bars 2 rows below, yrh, pul, yrh, pull through 1 loop, yrh and pull through 2 loops on hook. Standard return pass.
Bind off: Insert hook from right to left under front vertical bar of the next st, yrh, pul and pull through the loop that is on the hook. One loop remains on the hook.
End row changing colours in Tunisian crochet: The new colour is added when finishing the return pass of the previous row and 2 loops are remaining on the hook. Yrh with the new colour and draw through 2 loops.
Row 1 FP: Insert the hook in the back bump of second ch from hook, yrh and pul across. 97 loops on hook.
Row 1 RP and all other RPs: Standard RP.
Row 2: *Tps, 2 tks; rep from * to last 3 sts, tps, tks, ES.
Rows 3-5: As Row 2.
Row 6 FP: As Row 2.
Row 6 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to B, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Change to larger hook.
Row 7 FP: Tss across to last st, ES.
Row 7 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to C, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Row 8 FP: As Row 7.
Row 8 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to B, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Row 9 FP: 3 Tss, *mtfpdc, 3 tss; rep from * to last st, ES.
Row 9 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to C, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Row 10: As Row 8.
Row 11 FP: Tss, mtfpdc, *3 tss, mtfpdc; rep from * to last 2 sts, tss, ES.
Row 11 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to A, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Row 12: As Row 7.
Row 13: As Row 8.
Row 14: As Row 7.
Row 15 FP: As Row 9.
Row 15 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to B, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Row 16: As Row 7.
Row 17: As Row 11.
Row 18 FP: As Row 7.
Row 18 RP: Standard RP to last 2 lps on hook, change to B, yrh and draw through 2 lps.
Rows 19-23: Rep rows 7-11 once.
Row 24 FP: As Row 7.
Row 24 RP: Standard RP.
Change to smaller hook.
Rows 25-28: Rep rows 2-5.
Row 29: As Row 2.
Row 30: Bind off.
Weave in ends and block to final easurements as in schematic.
Join two short sides by locking mattress stitch (See special techniques).
Locking Mattress Stitch
Place the cowl RS down with edges aligned side by side. Stitches will be worked through the top lps of each edge.
Start the seam by inserting the needle from left to right through the first stitches of both panels at the bottom.
Move one stitch up on the right side, insert the needle from right to left and continue to the first stitch on the left side (the one already worked into).
Move one stitch up on the left side, insert the needle from left to right and continue to the last stitch worked into on the right side.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 to end.
Weave in ends.
Enjoyed this pattern? Learn more about tunisian stitches and find more projects at How to Tunisian Crochet + 28 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Pattern of the Day
This Crochet Daisy Granny Square is one that you will want to keep out and about all over your house. The combination of the daisy and… Continue reading: "Crochet Daisy Granny Squarevideocam"
- Stagger Stitch Dimensions Cowl
- Celestial Crochet Button Cowl
- Rose Lace Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Back to Scotland Crochet Cowl
- 26 Crochet Infinity Scarf Patterns
- Crochet Beginner One Hour Cowl
- Seriously Amazing Crochet Cowl
- 20 Minute Cowl
- Dynamic Cathedral Cowl
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How to Crochet Faster
- Zipper Braid Beanie
- Baby Barefoot Sandals
- Baby Girl Puff Shoe Worked Flat
- Adult Summer Halter Top
- Wren Sideways Shawl
- Crochet 12-point Star Blanket
- Puff Stitch Boho Coaster
- Jeremy The Giraffe
- Elizabeth Collar
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters