Curious Oyster Cowl
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Crochet a cowl that's perfect to warm you up in winter months but that's lacy enough to wear as a coverup in the summer. The Curious Oyster Cowl is an easy crochet cowl that draws inspiration from Alice in Wonderland and features a double crochet foundation chain instead of the normal single crochet. The cowl itself is wide enough to be worn wrapped around once as a type of infinity scarf, wrapped double to be as snug as a cowl, or it can even be pulled down over the shoulders as a type of little shoulder wrap. With so many options, this little crochet cowl will be your favorite go-to accessory.
NotesNotes: The cowl is worked from the bottom-up, beginning with a no-chain double crochet foundation instead of the traditional beginning chain. To make the perfect fit for you, work fdc (in multiples of 6) until you have the desired width to wrap around your shoulders. Keep in mind that a larger cowl may require more yarn than listed above.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook, K/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge10.5 Fdc = 4 inches (10 cm) with larger hook; 11 Dc = 4 inches (10 cm) using hook size I/9 (5.5 mm)
Finished SizeSmall/Medium (Large/X-Large) 21” tall, 22 (27)” opening at neck and 46 (56)” opening at hem
- Wonderland Yarns “March Hare” worsted weight yarn, 184 yards/4 oz skein; 100% superwash merino: 1 (2) skein(s); sample shown crocheted in “Caterpillar”
- Crochet hooks in sizes I/9 (5.5 mm) and K/10.5 (6.50 mm) or size to obtain gauge
With larger hook, loosely work 126 (150) Fdc. Join for working in the round with sl st. Place marker to indicate beg of rnd.
Rnd 1: * Ch-6, skip 5 sts, sc in 6th st; repeat from *, until last 6 dc sts, ch-3, trc into marked stitch. Move marker to top of trc stitch just made. (21 (25) ch-6 spaces total)
Rnds 2-16: *Ch 6, sc into ch-6 space of previous rnd*; continue around until last ch-6 space, ch-3, trc into marked stitch. Move marker to 3rd ch of trc just made. (Marker will move one ch-6 space to the right on each rnd; # of ch-6 spaces stays the same through all rnds.)
Rnd 17: Remove marker, ch-2 (first dc made), 2-dc into same ch-6 space, * 3-dc into next ch-6 space* around. Join with sl st into 2nd chain of beg ch-2. 63 (75) dc made.
Rnds 18-20: Ch 2 (first dc), dc in each dc stitch, join with sl st in 2nd ch of beg ch-2.
Cut end and weave in. With beginning tail, join edges of beg fdc rnd and weave in end. Block to measurements and shape to dry.
- Foundation double crochet (fdc)
- Ch-3, yo, insert hook under two strands of third chain from hook, yo, pull up a lp, yo, pull lp through 1 lp (3 lps on hook). Complete stitch as a normal double crochet (yo, pull through two lps) twice. First stitch made. *Yo, insert hook under two strands of first chain made. Yo, pull lp through ch, yo, pull lp through 1 lp (3 lps on hook). Complete stitch as a normal double crochet (yo, pull through two lps) twice. Second stitch made. Repeat from * for each stitch for desired length.
Try something different and work up this crochet shell stitch scarf today - plus, this video tutorial is for lefties!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
Simple, sweet, different, and unique, this crochet washcloth has fantastic texture and looks decorative sitting by your sink. This… Continue reading: "Circle Point Crochet Washclothvideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Zesty Coasters
- Easy Cross Front Top
- Twist Me Pretty Top
- Solid Shell Stitch Cowl
- Bumpy Face Scrubby
- My Brother’s Beanie Tutorial
- Loopy Love
- Dainty Rose Crochet Garland Pattern
- Parent and Child Crochet Belt Bags Pattern
- Keyring Pouch
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet