We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Update your cold weather look with this Chunky Crochet Cowl. This free crochet scarf pattern is thick and textured, and it's perfect for wrapping around your neck on a brisk, chilly day. This free crochet pattern calls for three skeins of super chunky yarn, so it's quick and easy to make. This cowl is the perfect layering piece. Throw this crochet scarf on top of a lighter peacoat or leather jacket, and you'll be chic and warm, no matter how chilly the weather gets.
To work this crochet cowl, you'll be working in rows and then joining (or seaming) the ends together, so no worries if you aren't comfortable working in the round! The free pattern features an easy repeating pattern and uses simple stitches to keep you going, so before you know it, you'll be all done and ready to stun!
History of Cowls
Did you know that the word "cowl" is derived from the Latin word "cuculla," meaning "hood?" Cowls were developed during the early-mid Middle Ages in Northern Europe as formal clothing for monks and others living a monastic life. Originally they were long, hooded clothing pieces with wide sleeves, but the word also could have referred to just the hooded part of a cloak. Over time, the cowl has adapted and changed, according to the times, to become the draping fabric around the neck that we know of today, as evidenced by the crochet cowl pattern shown here.
Crochet HookN/15 or 10 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
The Quick n' Cozy Crochet Afghan is the ultimate crochet pattern for beginners. This crochet afghan is so easy, quick and fun to work… Continue reading: "Quick n' Cozy Crochet Afghanvideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Double Waffle Crochet Baby Blanket
- Sunny Summer Crochet Doily Tutorial
- How to Do a Popcorn Stitch in Crochet
- V-Stitch and Shell Stitch Tutorial
- How to Crochet the Shell Stitch
- Honeycomb Cardigan - Bobble Stitch Cardigan
- Crochet V-Stitch Photo Tutorial
- Thermal Single Crochet Stitch
- Screen Window Square
- How to Weave in Yarn Ends
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters