How to Crochet a Shell Stitch
Make all the shell stitch crochet patterns you want after learning this beautiful stitch.
The shell stitch is popular in crochet because there is a lot of variety in the ways it can be used. Follow this seven-step tutorial to learn How to Crochet a Shell Stitch. It's quite a lovely stitch and not very difficult either.
You can then use this stitch to work up any sea shell crochet pattern you wish. There are so many designs that use the shell stitch, so now that you've learned it there will be so many more options for you to crochet. From scarves and hats to home decor, you will love what you can do with it.
Take a look at this shell stitch tutorial below, with the images showing the steps. It's so helpful when learning! At the bottom of the page, check out some of the coolest shell stitch patterns featured on AllFreeCrochet and get started on something new today!
- Hook of choice
- Yarn of choice
PLUS! Watch our Video Tutorial!
Are you more of a visual learner? Don't fret! Our sister site, AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns, have a video tutorial for the shell stitch, too. Watch this and learn or as a supplementary walk-through for this tutorial.
Crochet Shell Stitch Tutorial:
Start with a chain.
Double crochet in the 3rd stitch from the hook.
Make 4 more double crochet stitches in the same stitch.
Skip the next 3 stitches, make 5 double crochet in the next stitch.
Repeat step 4 across the row.
At the end of the row, turn, slip stitch in the first 3 stitches, chain 2, make 4 double crochet in the same stitch. Then repeat step 4 across the row.
Repeat step 6 for each subsequent row of the shell stitch.
Projects that use the Shell Stitch
The shell stitch is one of the most basic crochet stitches and can be used for many different projects. It can be used as a border or to create a unique pattern. Shell stitches are the base for a wide variety of patterns:
- To keep your head warm, try this pattern for Shelby's Slouchy Beanie or this Shell Stitch Beanie. They're the perfect lightweight hats for fall or a mild winter.
- Create a soft scarf with this pattern for Bev's Shell Stitch Scarf--which would also make a great homemade gift!
- For a cute summer shawl, break out your hooks for this Flirty Pink Shell Shrug.
- The Snow Queen Blanket is actually the perfect pattern to make for the cold winter months. You'll feel like a queen as you sit in your living room watching the snow fall.
- Make a top you can wear every day with this Ribbed Shell Tee pattern. There are so many ways to customize it, but crocheting it in bright and bold colors creates an absolutely stunning look.
- Business cards end up all over the bottom of your bag and car, so why not fix the problem with a Shell Stitch Business Card Holder? Working women will adore this quick and simple pattern.
Unique Shell Stitch Tutorials
After you've mastered the basic shell stitch above, try changing up your patterns with these tutorials that are variations on the classic:
- Shells with Borders: Try this textured shell stitch that would look great in so many colors.
- Vintage Crochet Shell Stitch: This has the stunning aspect of the shell stitch, but with a twist. Learn how to recreate this stunning shell pattern using the treble stitch.
- Post and Shells Stitch: Learn how to combine shells and front post double crochets to create a unique and textured design. It's great for most projects, including hats, scarves and especially blankets!
- How to Crochet Sweet Shell Edging: Want a softer edging stitch that will add a nice subtle design? This edging gives more of a gentle edging style that will not be too out there and noticeable.
- Gratifying Textured Shells Crochet: This tutorial will teach you how to make this stich that uses shells and decreases for a very cool stripe effect. It's a lacy stitch that pops, great for tops, shawls or even afghans.
Looking for more specific stitches? Then make sure you check out ourCrochet Stitch Directory: 26 Stitch Patterns