We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Inspired by the hot movie trilogy The Hunger Games, this Katniss Cowl was designed after a scene in the second movie installment, Catching Fire. Channel your inner Katniss when you wear this cozy wrap. The bobble stitch is used to complete this free crochet pattern and creates an armor-like appearance that will keep you protected from the harsh winter weather. Make this easy crochet cowl pattern for yourself, or give it to the die-hard Catching Fire fan in your life.
Crochet HookN/15 or 10 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
- 640-154 Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn: Grey Marble, 4 Balls
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook, Size N-13 (9 mm)
- Lion Brand Split Ring Stitch Markers
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
7 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm) in pattern.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
SIZE: One Size
Finished Cowl Circumference About 35 in. (89 cm)
Popcorn 5 dc all in indicated st, remove hook, insert hook into 1st dc (from front to back),
place free loop back on hook and pull through 1st dc.
1. Cowl and Wrap are worked separately the sewn together.
2. Cowl is worked in rnds. Wrap is worked back and forth in rows.
3. Only 2 balls of yarn are required if only making Cowl.
Ch 60. Taking care not to twist ch, join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in same ch as joining and in each ch around; join with sl st in first sc - 60 sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as joining and in each st around; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, (sc, ch 3, Popcorn) in same st as joining, *sk next 3sts, (sc, ch 3, Popcorn) in next st; rep from * across to last 3 sts, sk 3sts; join with sl st in first sc - 15 Popcorn sts.
Rnd 4: Ch 3 (counts as first dc in this rnd and in all following rnds), (2 sc, hdc) in next ch-3 sp, *dc in next sc, (2 sc, hdc) in next ch-3 sp; rep from * around; join with sl st in top of beg ch - 60 sts
Rnds 5 and 6: Rep Rnds 3 and 4.
Rnd 7: Ch 1, sc in same st as joining and in each st around; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnds 8-12: Rep Rnds 2-6.
Rnds 13 and 14: Rep Rnd 7.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (beg ch counts as first dc) and in each ch across - 68 dc.
Row 2: Ch 3, (counts at first dc in this row and in all following rows) turn. Working through back loops
only, dc in each st across working last dc in top of turning ch.
Rep Row 2 until piece measures about 14 in. (35.5 cm) long.
Place a marker anywhere on one edge of Cowl. Place a 2nd marker on the same edge about 12 in. (30.5 cm) from the first marker. Sew one short edge of Wrap to WS of Cowl, gathering the edge of the wrap to fit the 12 in. (30.5 cm) edge of the cowl between the markers. Remove markers.
Note: A helper will make the next part of finishing easier. Try on Cowl, with Wrap in front. Wrap the other end of the Wrap around to your back, adjusting to fit, and pin to edge of cowl. Take off Cowl and sew end.
Weave in ends.
ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES
beg = begin(s)(ning) ch(s) = chain(s)
dc = double crochet hdc = half double crochet
rep = repeat(s)(ing) rnd(s) = round(s)
sc = single crochet sk = skip
sl st = slip stitch st(s) = stitch(es)
WS = wrong side
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
Are you ready for a lazy day of crocheting? Then you're going to want to see this Laid Back Blue Crochet Blanket. This is an easy mile… Continue reading: "Laid Back Blue Crochet Blanketvideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Pebble Hat
- Criss Cross Crochet Blanket
- Crochet Sweetheart Crop Top Free Pattern
- Winter Links Beanie
- Triple Braided Headband
- Paired Double Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Valentina Bed Runner
- Whirly Coaster Pattern
- The Bodega Bag
- Easy Crochet Flower
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters