Pure Elegance: 25 Dainty Doily Crochet Patterns
Learn how to crochet a doily for every occasion! These free crochet doily patterns are stunning!
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Crochet doilies are easier to make than you might think. They look intricate and complex, but they're made of manageable stitches and are simply worked in the round with a thinner and lacier yarn weight. Using classic crochet shell stitches, worked up by using basic double crochet stitches and chain stitches, you can make your own cute and easy crochet doily.
Follow along with our video from the talented Mary Beth Temple to see how it's done, then grab your own lightweight yarn (stick with three colors as the video shows, or go with one solid color) and try it out yourself! Then take a look at the free crochet doily designs found in this collection of Pure Elegance: 25 Dainty Doily Crochet Patterns.
Crochet doily patterns are versatile little designs that you can use all throughout your home to add a little something extra. You can use these crochet doilies as tabletop decorations, either under simple vases and on top of nightstands, as coasters under mugs and even as placemats for holiday meals. You can even fashion a crochet doily pattern long enough to function as a table runner to add a focal point for your fancy dinner spread.
You can make these doilies for holidays, by incorporating flowers in the lace design, and even with the addition of beads for some added emphasis. With so many lace and color options, you can make a crochet doily for any occasion.
Below, click play to watch the video tutorial. The first section after the video includes the written pattern to help you master the Cute and Easy Crochet Doily.
Table of Contents
How to Crochet a Doily Step-by-Step
This is the written pattern for the Cute and Easy Crochet Doily video above.
Notes: Ch-3 counts as 1 dc throughout; a shell stitch is made by (2dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in same st
1. With white, ch 10. Join into ring with sl st in first ch.
2. Rnd 1: Ch 3, 19 dc in ring. Join rnd with sl st in top of beg-ch-3. 20 dc
3. Rnd 2: Ch 7, sk next dc, dc in next dc, *ch 4, sk 1 dc, dc in next dc, rep from * around, ch 4. Join in 3rd ch of beg-ch-7. 10 dc + 10 ch-4 sps
4. Rnd 3: Ch 3, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in same st as rnd join, *ch 1, shell in next dc, rep from *around, ch 1. Join rnd with sl st in top of beg-ch-3. 10 shells
5. Rnd 4: Sl st in next dc and in first ch-3 sp, ch 3, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 3, shell in ch-3 sp of next shell, rep from * around, ch 3. Join rnd with sl st in top of beg-ch-3.
6. Rnd 5: Sl st in next dc and in first ch-3 sp, ch 3, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 6, shell in ch-3 sp of next shell, rep from * around, ch 6. Join rnd with sl st in top of beg-ch-3.
7. Rnd 6: Sl st in next dc and in first ch-3 sp, ch 6, (dc, ch 3, dc, ch 3, dc) in same sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-6 sp, *ch 1, dc in next ch-3 sp, ch 3,(dc, ch 3, dc, ch 3, dc) in same ch-3 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-6 sp, rep from * around, ch 1. Join rnd with sl st in 3rd ch of beg-ch-6.
8. Rnd 7: Sl st across ch-3 sp, in next dc, and to center of next ch-3 sp, ch 3, dc in same sp, ch 7, 2 tr in next sc, *ch 7, sk 1 ch-3 sp, 2 dc in next ch-3 sp, ch 7, 2 tr in next sc, rep from * around, ch 7. Join rnd with sl st in top of beg-ch-3. End off White. 20 ch-7 sps
9. Rnd 8: With Purple, work 9 dc in each ch-7 sp around. Join rnd with sl st in top of first dc. End off Purple.
10. Rnd 9: With Lavender, sc between any 2 9-dc groups, *ch 11, sc between next two 9-dc groups, rep from * around. Join rnd with sl st in first sc.
11. Rnd 10: Sl st in each of first 4 ch, ch 1, 3 sc in same loop, *ch 2, (tr, ch 2) 6 times in next ch-11 sp, ch 2, 3 sc in next ch-11 sp, rep from * around, ch 2, (tr, ch 2) 6 times in next ch-11 sp, ch 2. Join rnd with sl st in first sc.
12. Rnd 11: Sc in next sc, *(ch 3, dc in next tr) 6 times, ch 3, sk 1 sc, sc in next sc, rep from * around, ch 3, join rnd with sl st in first sc.
13. Rnd 12: Sl st across to 1st dc, ch 4, dc in 4th ch from hook, sl st in next dc. Rep from * around, skipping scs as you come to them. Join rnd with st st in first dc. End off. Weave in all ends. Block.
Free Crochet Flower Doily Patterns
These floral crochet doilies are perfect for spring and summer. Light and lacy and all featuring a flower motif, these doilies will look so cute decorating a table for a springtime tea party or a backyard picnic.
Keep with a white, classic design or add some bright colors to brighten up your decorating and entertaining style, such as the Pretty Pinwheel Doily Pattern shown here.
For more decor options you can make with crochet, check out 11 Crochet Basket Patterns (for Your Home)
Free Crochet Doily Patterns with Beads
As you crochet, slip some beads onto your yarn to add some effortless style to your doilies. It's really easy to crochet with beads, and we have a how to crochet with beads and buttons tutorial here to help you out if you need it! Add as many as you want to your design to really set off the finished crochet doily pattern.
The Lacy Beaded Wine Glass Cover is both pretty and functional! With the weight of the beads on the points of the crochet doily, it perfectly covers a glass. This will help keep bugs out while you're enjoying a drink on a summer evening.
Free Crochet Lace Doily Patterns
Classic lace doilies are reminiscent of earlier times, of the Victorian era or maybe of grandma's living room. These lace doilies will be a blast to the past - make a set and break them out for holiday meals or dinner parties.
Or you can crochet a few to keep on your dresser to set under a candle jar or a jewelry dish. These delicate lace designs will add a touch of style and class to your decor however you use them. They don't have to white or cream, either! Just look at the beautiful pink Lacy Doily shown here.
Free Crochet Christmas Doily Patterns (+ Other Holidays)
Add a festive spin to your doily decor with these holiday-themed crochet doilies. Work up doilies with a candy design, a snowflake motif or even some with spooky overtones - you'll find the best festive pattern for your work.
This Peppermint Candy Doily shown is a twist on a classic doily and it's oh so sweet! These free crochet doily patterns make fantastic centerpieces for holiday festivities any time of year!
Do you use doilies around your house?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Reindeer Ornament
- Wreath Christmas Tree Ornament
- Stacked Yarn Ball Ornament
- Paragon Square Ornament
- Dangling Snowman Ornament
- Poinsettia Lace Ornament
- Chunky Lace Vest
- Snowglobe Ornament
- Stonewash Pocket Coatigan
- One Hour Crochet Beanie
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet