We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Crochet for beginners can seem intimidating, but you can actually work up this cool Buttoned Crochet Cowl Pattern without crochet experience. This crochet cowl pattern uses a colorful textured yarn, which makes it incredibly unique. You can wear this crochet cowl to keep warm in the winter or as a transitional fashion accessory during fall or spring. Crochet patterns for beginners aren't usually this functional and chic as this one, get your crochet hooks ready to go for this all free crochet project.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 hdc = about 4 in. (10 cm).
When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Finished SizeAbout 8 x 34 in. (20.5 X 86.5 cm)
- 931-207 Lion Brand Textures Yarn: Desert Sands (2 balls)
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size I-9
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
- 5 buttons, about 3/4 in. (19 mm) diameter
- Sewing needle and thread
NOTE: Cowl is worked in 2 sections. Sts for the second section are worked along the edge of the first section.
Row 1: Hdc in 3rd ch from hook (first 2 skipped ch count as the first hdc) and in each ch across – you will have 42 hdc at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), turn, hdc in each st across – 42 hdc.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures about 8 in. (20.5 cm) from beginning.|
Do not fasten off.
Row 1: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), turn piece to work across ends of rows, work 23 hdc evenly spaced across ends of rows of first section – 24 hdc.
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), turn, hdc in each st across.
Repeat Row 2 until second section measures about 21 in. (53.5 cm).
With sewing needle and thread, sew 5 buttons evenly spaced across short end of first section. Use spaces between sts at opposite end as buttonholes.
Weave in ends.
NOTE: Buttons are sewn to one end of cowl, use spaces between sts as buttonholes.
ch(s) = chain(s)
hdc = half double crochet
st(s) = stitch(es)
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
On a rainy day, a new mom will love to snuggle under this Gray Grandma Baby Blanket with her baby for comfort and warmth. This crochet… Continue reading: "Gray Grandma Baby Blanketvideocam"
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet