We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
These Basic Crocheted Socks are great to make. They're versatile and allow you to brush up on your crochet skills. These are an easy crochet pattern you can give to a friend or keep for yourself. Use Lion Brand wool yarn to complete this free crochet pattern, and make one in every color. Warm feet are happy feet during the cold winter months!
- These socks are easy to make in one flat piece. When finished, they will resemble Turkish knitted socks, with the heel appearing to stick out when folded. On the foot, however, they fit exactly as a commercial sock.
- The leg can be made longer by crocheting the leg section an inch or two (2.5 – 5 cm) longer. The length of the foot can also be increased, ensuring that the top and bottom of the foot are the same length.
Crochet HookG/6 or 4 mm hook, H/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeFor S: 5 single crochet = 1" (2.5 cm) with size H-8 (5 mm) hook.
For M: 4 single crochet = 1" (2.5 cm) with size I-9 (5.5 mm) hook.
Finished SizeWomen's S (M) Sample shown: 10" long x 8.5" around ball of foot (25 cm x 21.5 cm)
- Lion Brand Lion Wool 100% wool (3 oz/85 g, 158 yd/144 m ball): 2 balls #113 Scarlet, or color of your choice
- Crochet hooks sizes G/6 and H/8 (4 and 5 mm) [sizes H/8 and I/9 (5 and 5.5 mm)], or size to obtain gauge
- large-eyed, blunt needle
With smaller hook, chain 11.
Row 1: Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook, single crochet in each chain across, turn – 10 single crochet.
Row 2: Chain 1, working in back loops only, single crochet in each single crochet across, turn – 10 single crochet.
Repeat Row 2 for 40 more rows. Do not turn. Working along side of ribbing, work 1 single crochet in each row, turn – 40 single crochet.
With larger hook, work back and forth in single crochet, working through both loops, on 40 stitches until piece measures 7" (18 cm) from beginning of sock. Cut yarn.
Top of Foot
Row 1: With right side facing and larger hook, join yarn in 11th stitch from edge, chain 1, single crochet in same stitch, single crochet in each of next 19 single crochet, turn.
Row 2: Chain 1, single crochet in each single crochet across. Turn – 20 single crochet.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures 6" (15 cm) above joining or desired length, allowing 2" (5 cm) for toe, ending on wrong side.
Note: The heel will add another 2" (5 cm). Measure foot and subtract 4" (10 cm) total for heel and toe to determine desired length.
Top of Toe
*Row 1: Chain 1, decrease 1 single crochet in next 2 single crochet, single crochet across to within last 2 single crochet, decrease 1 stitch in next 2 single crochet, turn.
Row 2: Chain 1, work even in single crochet, turn.
Repeat last two rows until 10 single crochet remain, ending with Row 2.
Bottom of Toe
Row 1: Chain 1, 2 single crochet in first single crochet, single crochet across to last single crochet, 2 single crochet in last single crochet, turn.
Row 2: Chain 1, work even in single crochet, turn.
Repeat last 2 rows until there are 20 single crochet.*
Bottom of Foot
Work even on 20 single crochet until piece measures 6" (15 cm) or same length as straight portion of foot.
Repeat from * to * as for toe shaping. Fasten off.
Sew back leg seam. Fold sock in middle of the toe and sew both sides of foot. Fold the heel in half, as with toe, and sew sides. Position the heel piece so that centre of heel is in line with leg seam, and sew.
Tips On How To Crochet Socks
There’s more to crocheting socks than simply following a pattern. These tips for crocheting socks will help you create the perfect pair.
Select the right yarn for the pair. Each type of yarn has its own unique purpose, with wool ideal for creating socks to wear while walking in a winter wonderland and cotton yarn perfect for a lighter pair to wear in spring and summer. Consider looking for yarns with blends of acrylic or other synthetic materials, too, to get just the right durability and moisture resistance that you need.
Try on the crochet socks as you work the pattern. If you’re crocheting a pair of socks for your own use, you can guarantee that you get the socks just the way you like them by trying them on as you work. This method ensures you can adjust the pattern as needed to fit your feet.
Check your gauge! As with any crochet pattern, you should check your gauge before diving head-first into a crochet project. Crochet a swatch of fabric to see if you have the right amount of tension and that you can follow the crochet sock pattern accordingly.
Add appliques for a unique look. You’ve seen striped crochet socks and pairs that include variegated yarn, but adding a crochet applique of a flower, animal, or other pretty design results in a totally different look. If you want to show off your crochet socks, then you’ll love attaching a colorful design to the pair.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
These Quick and Easy Crochet Slipper Socks are perfect for anyone who wants to keep their feet nice and cozy around the house or in… Continue reading: "Quick and Easy Crochet Slipper Socks"
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet