We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
You'll look marvelous lounging in this Openwork Crochet Shrug, a free crochet shrug pattern from Lion Brand. This ribbed shrug is wonderful for layering with tank tops, t-shirts, light sweaters and more. The weight and style of this crochet shawl pattern makes it ideal for any temperature. It can keep you warm, or act as a modest cover-up. You'll love the unique texture of this pretty crochet shrug pattern.
Crochet HookK/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
- Lion Brand Homespun Yarn: Pearls
- Lion Brand Imagine Yarn: Brown Sugar
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size K-10.5 (6.5 mm)
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles
Finished Length About 38 in. (96.5 cm), from cuff to cuff
Finished Width About 19 in. (48.5 cm)
12 sts + 6 1/2 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm) in pattern with A.
When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
BPDC (back post double crochet) Yarn over, insert hook from back to front then to back, going around post of indicated st, draw up a loop, (yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice. Skip st in front of the BPDC.
1. Shrug is worked sideways in one piece beg at one cuff.
2. Sts are increased to shape first sleeve, then piece is worked even (without increasing or decreasing) for back, then sts are decreased to shape the second sleeve.
3. Piece is folded lengthwise then seamed to make sleeves.
4. Trim is created with B yarn.
With A, ch 36.
Row 1 (WS): Dc in 4th ch from hook (beg ch counts as first dc), dc in each ch across - 34 dc.
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc in this row and in all following rows), turn, BPDC around each st across, dc in top of beg ch - 32 BPDC and 2 dc at the end of this row.
Row 3: Ch 2 (counts as hdc in this row and in all following rows), turn, hdc in first st, ch 1, hdc in next st, *ch 1, sk next st, hdc in next st; rep from * to last 2 sts, ch 1, sk next st, 2 hdc in top of turning ch - 20 hdc and 17 ch-1 sps.
Rows 4-6: Ch 2, turn, hdc in first st, *ch 1, sk next st, hdc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * to last 2 sts, ch 1, sk next st, 2 hdc in top of beg ch - 23 hdc and 20 ch-1 sps at the end of Row 6.
Row 7: Ch 3, turn, 2 dc in next ch-1 sp and in each ch-1 sp across, dc in top of turning ch - 42 dc.
Row 8: Ch 3, turn, BPDC around each st across, dc in top of turning ch.
Rows 9-20: Rep Rows 3-8 twice more - 58 sts at the end of Row 20.
Row 21: Ch 3 (counts as hdc, ch 1 in this row and in all following rows), turn, sk first st, hdc in next st, *ch 1, sk next st, hdc in next st; rep from * to last 2 sts, ch 1, sk next st, hdc in top of turning ch - 30 dc and 29 ch-1 sps.
Rows 22-24: Ch 3, turn, hdc in first ch-1 sp, *ch 1, sk next hdc, hdc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * to turning ch-sp, ch 1, sk next hdc, hdc in turning ch-sp.
Row 25: Ch 3, turn, 2 dc in each ch-1 sp across (do not work 2 dc in turning ch-sp), dc in turning ch-sp - 58 sts.
Row 26: Ch 3, turn, BPDC around each st across, dc in top of turning ch.
Rows 27-44: Rep Rows 21-26 three more times.
Row 45: Ch 3, turn, sk first 2 sts, hdc in next st, *ch 1, sk next st, hdc in next st; rep from * to last 3 sts, ch 1, sk next 2 sts, hdc in top of turning ch - 29 hdc and 28 ch-1 sps.
Rows 46-48: Ch 3, turn, sk first ch-1 sp, and hdc, *hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next hdc; rep from * across, hdc in turning ch-sp - 26 hdc and 25 ch-1 sps at the end of Row 48.
Row 49: Ch 3, turn, 2 dc in each ch-1 sp across, dc in turning ch-sp - 50 sts.
Row 50: Ch 3, turn, BPDC in each dc across, dc in top of turning ch.
Rows 51-62: Rep Rows 45-50 twice more - 34 sts at the end of Row 62.
Fold piece in half lengthwise. Sew open edges together for 7 1/2 in. (19 cm) from each end to make sleeves.
Note: B yarn is attached to edge of sleeves and front with crocheted sts worked with A. You will work behind B for specified number of sts, then work 1 st around B, repeating this around edge.
With RS facing, join A with sc at sleeve seam. Working in ends of rows around wrist edge of sleeve, sc in end of next 3 rows, holding B at sleeve edge, work next sc over B and into end of same row (the same row you worked the last sc with A) *with A and working behind B, sc into end of next 3 rows; with A and working over B, sc in end of same row; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off A. Cut B. With sewing needle and thread, sew ends of B together.
Repeat trim on opposite sleeve.
With RS facing, join A with sc at sleeve seam. Working in ends of rows around front opening, sc in end of next 3 rows, holding B at edge, work next sc over B and into end of same row. *With A and working behind B, sc in end of next 3 rows; with A and working over B, sc in end of same row; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off A. Cut B.
With sewing needle and thread, sew ends of B together. Weave in ends.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Baby Flip Flops Sandals
- How to Make Pom Poms With Cardboard
- Crochet Motifs and Invisible Method of Motif Joining Tutorial
- How to Crochet Leaf Tutorial video
- Crochet Classic Cord Video Tutorial
- Puff Braid Ribbon Lace
- Satin Blouse Crochet Pattern
- Momma Beach Bag Crochet Pattern
- Basic Double Crochet Cushion Cover
- Crochet Spiral Cord Video Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet