We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Red and blue stars covering this white crocheted afghan make this Americana Afghan the perfect patriotic pattern ever. This free crochet pattern is made by joining together 20 crochet granny squares, and then sewing on the crocheted squares at the end. Wrap yourself up in this crochet afghan as you watch the Olympic Games, or bring this homemade blanket with you to watch the Fourth of July fireworks.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Lion Brand Heartland Yarn: #098 Acadia (A, 10 skeins), #109 Olympic (B, 5 skeins), #113 Redwood (C, 2 skeins)
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size J-10 (6 mm)
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
SIZE: One Size, About 50 x 62 in. (127 x 157.5 cm)
GAUGE: 12 sc + 15 rows = 4 in. (10 cm).
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
sc2tog (sc 2 sts together): Insert hook into st and draw up a loop. Insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through all 3 loops on hook – 1 st decreased.
1. 20 Squares are worked, then joined together to make Afghan following Diagram.
2. Stars are worked separately, then sewed to Squares.
SQUARES (make 20)
With A, ch 37.
Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across - 36 sts.
Row 1: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
Rep Row 1 until piece measures about 12 in. (cm) from beginning. Fasten off.
(make 15 with B and 5 with C)
Ch 3, join with sl st in beg ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 8 sc in ring; join with sl st in first sc - 8 sts.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in each sc around; join with sl st in first sc - 16 sts.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, *sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc - 24 sts.
Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in each of first 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, *sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc - 32 sts.
Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in each of first 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, *sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc - 40 sts.
Shape First Arm
Note: Rows 1-9 are worked back and forth across a portion of the sts, leaving remaining sts unworked.
Row 1: Sc in each of next 8 sc, leave rem sts unworked - 8 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc across to last 2 sts, sc2tog - 6 sts.
Rows 4, 6 and 8: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Row 5: Rep Row 3 - 4 sts.
Row 7: Rep Row 3 - 2 sts.
Row 9: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog.
Shape Second-Fifth Arms
Join yarn with sl st in next sc at end of Row 1 of last arm worked.
Rep Rows 1-9 of first arm.
At the end of fifth arm, do not fasten off, instead work sc evenly spaced around entire outside edge of Star, working 3 sc in tip of each arm.
Using B for C Stars and C for B Stars, whipstitch a Star to the center of each Square.
With B, and following Diagram, whipstitch Squares into 4 strips of 5 Squares each.
With B, and following Diagram, whipstitch strips together to make Afghan.
From RS, join B with a slip st in one corner of Afghan.
Rnd 1: *Work 3 sc in corner, then work sc evenly spaced across edge of Afghan to next corner; rep from * around; join with sl st in beg sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc into each sc around, working 3 sc into each corner sc.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, turn. Rep Rnd 2. Fasten off.
From RS, join C with sl st in corner st at any corner of Afghan.
Rnd 4: Sc into next st 2 rnds below (this means that you are working into Rnd 2), ch 1, sc in same st 2 rnds below - corner made, *ch 1, skip next st, sc into next st 2 rnds below; rep from * to next corner, continue in this way around entire outside edge of Afghan. At end of rnd, join with sl st in beg sc.
Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
With a blanket that measures 36 x 36 any little baby is sure to stay cozy in this fabulous crochet design. The Pastel Rainbow Baby… Continue reading: "Pastel Rainbow Baby Blanketvideocam"
- Rainbow Diamonds Crochet Granny Square Afghan
- Hug a Friend Square
- Crochet the Rainbow Granny Square Throw
- Floral Kaleidoscope Crochet Square
- Jeweled Continuous Granny Square Afghan
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Projects
- African Flower Granny Square
- Simple Crochet Granny Squares
- Rainbow Burst Reversible Granny Square
- Spiro Star Crochet Granny Square
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Bax The Christmas Bear
- Crochet Thermal Stripes Potholder
- Reef Crochet Basket Pattern 6.0
- Reef Crochet Basket Pattern 5.0
- Fanfare Cowl
- 50 Free Corner to Corner Crochet Patterns
- Squishy Hat (baby Hat)
- Purple Ombre Security Blanket
- Crochet Heart Angel
- Gnome Luminary
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters