14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
Top 10 Yarn Brands
Discover yarn companies our readers love in this roundup.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Discover yarn brands our community loves!
Picking a yarn for your next crochet pattern can sometimes be stressful! The yarn aisle (or aisles, plural!) can be an exhilarating yet overwhelming place. There are many yarn brands to choose from, endless color options, and different weights, all at different price points.
Don't feel like a deer in headlights next time you visit the yarn store. In order to make the decision process easier, we've narrowed down our top 10 yarn brands. These are some of the best-selling crochet yarn brands out ther! From variety to quality, and from price to selection, yarns from these brands are worth perusing! In no order of importance, you can find our list of popular yarn brands below.
Want to view our complete list of yarn brands? Browse the Crochet Companies category on our website.
Most Popular Yarn Brands
Yarnspirations: You can find free knit and crochet patterns on their website. Their parent company has MANY popular brands such as:
- Red Heart: Known as "America's Favorite Yarn" and one of the most trusted companies, Red Heart has a huge selection to choose from (in terms of both available yarn types and color options), and they can be found in most craft and yarn stores, as well as online. Plus, check out their website for free knit and crochet patterns. Some of their most popular yarns with our readers include Super Saver, Soft, With Love, and Scrubby.
- Bernat: Bernat has always been a popular yarn brand, but they seem to have exploded in popularity with the introduction of their Blanket yarns! Their baby yarns are popular as well, such as Baby Sport. Like many of our popular brands in this list, Bernat yarns are affordable. However they also offer a Premium line.
- Caron: Popular yarns include One Pound, Cotton, Simply Soft, and Cakes.
- Patons: most known for their sock yarn, this is the go-to yarn for working up those fabulous sock patterns.
- Lily Sugar'n Cream: Lily Sugar'n Cream yarns are great for sturdy kitchen knitting projects and functional bath crocheting projects.
- Aunt Lydia's: 100% mercerized cotton yarn in a variety of colors for your projects.
Lion Brand: A family owned and operated company since 1878, Lion Brand known for their quality yarns, helpful pattern support, and wide variety of yarns. Also, together with spokesperson Vanna White, Lion Brand is a supporter of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, donating more than $1 million dollars based on the sales of their widely popular yarn lines, Vanna's Choice, Vanna's Choice Baby, and Vanna's Glamour. Readers also love Cobo, Basic Stitch, Mandala, Thick n Quick, and Homespun.
"I really like working with Lion Brand Basic Stitch. Small skeins, and can be pricey, but it feels great and works up wonderfully for clothing (ponchos/ cardigans)." - Cari H, AllFreeCrochet Community Member
Premier: An international manufacturer that produces a wide variety of luxury yarns, as well as the popular Deborah Norville Collection™ and Isaac Mizrahi® CRAFT™ yarns. Sweet Rolls and Everyday Antipilling Worsted are two popular lines with our readers.
"Premier Everyday Antipilling Worsted. Best acrylic yarn to date that I like." - Joanne E., Member of the AllFreeCrochet Community on Facebook
Expression Fiber Arts: We take inspiration from the world around us and turn that into yarn colorways and blends for you, in the hopes that it brings more joy, more excitement, more color, more self-expression (the reason for our company name!) and more creativity into your life.
Darn Good Yarn: Made from recycled and Earth friendly materials, much of their yarn is created from the colorful remnants of the production of silk saris in Nepal and Northern India. Darn Good Yarn prides itself on providing you with fairly traded and child labor free yarns-- a great cause to support!
LoveCrafts: LoveCrafts has beautiful yarns that have been rising in popularity rapidly since the brand launched in 2012. Paintbox is one of their most popular lines, and it comes in acrylic, cotton, and wool blend.
Hobbii: This one stop shop for yarn lovers around the world is located in beautiful Copenhagen, Denmark, where all products are designed and all orders are packed and shipped from. They are devoted to becoming a favorite yarn shop through great customer service, free Scandinavian patterns, and weekly inspiration on Facebook and Instagram. Readers particularly love their Twirls, Twister, and Rainbow Cotton lines.
Michaels Loops and Threads: Our readers love the Michaels store-brand yarn! Loops and Threads comes in several weights and styles, with lines such as Impeccable, Charisma, and Barcelona Big!
Hobby Lobby: Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn is one of the most popular yarn brands with our readers! Like Red Heart, the yarn is affordable and sturdy. Other favorites from Hobby Lobby include I Love This Cotton, and Yarn Bee.
Willow Yarns: Willow Yarns was founded on the idea that stitchers love natural fiber-rich yarns without the high price tags; that stitchers are inspired by colors, patterns, and trends; and that stitchers are as passionate about yarn as they are.
Purl Soho: With its fresh approach to traditional fiber arts, Purl Soho is a much-loved resource for natural fibers, impeccable (mostly free!) patterns, and modern design.
We've listed the most popular yarn brands with our audience above, but there are so many wonderful yarns that our readers love, we couldn't just list 10! Here are several more yarn brands our readers recommend:
- Cascade Yarns
- Walmart Mainstays Basic Yarn
- Ancient Arts
- Joann Fabrics, especially Big Twist
- Wool and the Gang
- James C. Brett
- Jimmy Beans Wool
- King Cole
- Quince and Co., especially Lark
- Marriner Yarns
- Lorna's Laces
- Baah Yarn, especially La Jolla
- Zen Yarn Garden
Have you ever tried crocheting without yarn? That's right-- you don't always need a skein of yarn to work up that pretty crocheted necklace, or that trendy crochet rug. Browse: How to Crochet Without Yarn: 43 Unconventional Crochet Ideas
Don't see your favorite yarn company listed? Then tell us about it!
Leave a comment below with YOUR favorite yarn company!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
The Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanie is your new go-to winter hat, and it's available in any size you could want, from newborn all the… Continue reading: "Dusty Blue Bulky Crochet Beanievideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Pretty In Pink Elephant Lovey
- Clustered V-st Crochet Preemie Blanket Pattern
- Ice Cream - Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Boxed Bead Koozie
- Zayd The Boy Crochet Doll
- Zoya Amigurumi Mermaid
- Power Of Positivity Prayer Flags
- Harry The Spider
- Ice Cream Ripple Scarf
- Knit Look Bow
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters