We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Give the entire family new mittens with the Beginner Mitts for All pattern! Work up this free crochet mitten pattern for all sizes using a worsted weight yarn. Create different styles with colors and stripes for each pattern so you can easily tell them apart. This free crochet pattern is definitely fun to make because you won't be leaving anyone out. It's a fun pattern to make for the holidays. Leave a homemade pair of mittens in everyone's stocking this year. You'll also love that this crochet pattern is easy to make. You can easily crochet warm mittens for a family member within a weekend when you use this pattern!
1. These simple mittens are designed without a definite left or right hand and are worked in joined rounds.
2. Cuffs are done in ribbed stitch rows by working sc in the back loops only. They are extra long for added warmth or can be folded at the wrist.
3. Men’s mittens are worked in a solid color, Child’s and
Women’s in stripe patterns as follows:
Work in 2 row stripes for Child’s mittens, ending with 5
rounds of C at fingertips.
Work in 1 row stripes for Women’s mittens, ending with 7 rounds of A at fingertips.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge16 sc = 4”; 17 rows = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeChild size measures 6” around x 7½” long. Women’s size measures 7½” around x 11½” long. Men’s size measures 9½” around x 12” long.
- Child’s Version - RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 skein each 387 Soft Navy B and 984 Shaded Dusk C.
- Women’s Version - RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 skein each 624 Tea Leaf A and 387 Soft Navy B.
- Men’s Version - RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 skein 624 Tea Leaf A.
- Crochet hook: 5.5mm [US I-9].
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
Get ready for winter in a big way when you take a look at the crochet patterns in this free eBook! You'll be able to keep everyone in your family warm this winter when you take a look at
Directions are for Child’s size 4/5 yrs. Changes for sizes Women’s and Men’s are in parentheses.
Sc2tog = [insert hook in next st, yo, draw yarn through st] twice, yo, draw yarn through all 3 loops on hook.
Using C (B, A), ch 15 (21, 24).
Row 1: Working in back loops only, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, ch 1, turn.
Repeat Row 1 for a total of 18 (22, 24) rows.
Fold cuff in half and join ends with slip st to form cuff. Do not fasten off.
Round 1: Working along row ends on cuff, slip st evenly around for 18 (22, 26) sts, join round with slip st.
Round 2: Ch 1, place marker, [sc in next 8 (10, 12) sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st [20 (24, 28) sts].
Round 3: Ch 1, [sc in next 9 (11, 13) sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st [22 (26, 30) sts].
Round 4: Ch 1, [sc in next 10 (12, 14) sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st [24 (28, 32) sts].
Child’s size: Proceed to next step.
Women’s size: Ch 1, [sc in next 13 sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st (30 sts).
Men’s size: Ch 1, [sc in next 15 sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st (34 sts).
Repeat as established, working 1 more sc before increasing each round, for 2 more rounds (38 sts).
Next Step: Continuing with stripe/solid pattern as set, ch 1, sc in each sc around, join with slip st. Repeat for a total of 1 (3, 3) rounds.
Next round: Ch 1, [sc in next 20 (26, 32) sts, ch 4 (5, 6), skip remaining sts and join with slip st to first st.
Sc in each st around for 8 (10, 12) rounds [24 (31, 38) sts], decreasing 1 st on last round for Women’s size only [24 (30, 38) sts].
Round 1: [Sc 10 (13, 17), sc2tog] twice [22 (28, 36) sts].
Round 2: [Sc 9 (12, 16), sc2tog] twice [20 (26, 34) sts].
Round 3: [Sc 8 (11, 15), sc2tog] twice [18 (24, 32) sts].
Round 4: [Sc 7 (10, 14), sc2tog] twice [16 (22, 30) sts].
Child’s size only: Sc2tog around (8 sts), fasten off. Continue with thumb.
Round 5: Sc in each st around.
Round 6: [Sc 9 (13), sc2tog] twice [20 (28) sts].
Next 2 rounds: Sc2tog around [5 (7) sts]. Fasten off at end of last round.
Round 1: Join yarn to thumb opening at st closest to upper hand, ch 1, sc in each st around, joining with slip st [8 (9, 12) sts]. Sc in each st around for 4 (7, 8) rounds.
Next round: Sc2tog, sc to 3 sts from last st, sc last 2 sts tog [6 (7, 10) sts]. Sc2tog around, working last st as sc on Women’s size [3 (4, 5) sts].
Weave in ends.
A, B, C = Color A, Color B, Color C etc.
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
dec = decrease
hdc = half double crochet
inc = increase
mm = millimeters
sc = single crochet
st(s) = stitch(es)
tr = treble (triple) crochet
yo = yarn over
* or ** = repeat
Ready to crochet even more gloves and mittens? With this collection of free crochet patterns, you can make gloves, wrist warmers, cuffs, and so much more for every member of your family. Get ready for winter when you take a look at 21 Easy to Crochet Mittens, Gloves and More + Video
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Quick and Simple Striped Baby Blanket Pattern
- Free Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Jellybean Place Mat
- Sampler Snowman Boot Cuffs
- Victorian Blush "Snowflake" Ornaments and Gift Tags
- John Deere Storage Basket
- Christmas Town
- Side2Side Cowl
- Christmas Poinsettia Wreath
- Bell Ornament or Gift Card Holder
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet