Crochet Vehicles Take a Load Off Digger
This Take a Load Off Digger is insanely realistic, right down to the tiny little scoop bucket in the back and the orange light on top. The Crochet Vehicles series is a great collection of free crochet toy patterns that are more gentle than plastic toys but just as detailed.
This toy DIY is also a good way to teach your child about building equipment, especially if you or your partner works in construction. Whether your little one wants to dig up some dirt on a little farm or build a toy house, this digger will be able to stand up to the challenge. The buckets will even carry real dirt (parents, don't panic—if you use acrylic yarn, this can be thrown in the washer!).
For other great patterns in the Crochet Vehicles Series, check out Little Green Tractor and Little Car Toys.
NotesTip: If you use 100% wool, your digger will naturally felt. If you use acrylic yarn, you won’t get any felting and the digger would require less maintenance as you could just chuck it in the normal wash.
Crochet HookG/6 or 4 mm hook, H/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(3) Light/DK (21-24 stitches to 4 inches)
- 4mm Crochet hook
- 5mm Crochet hook
- 50g Double knit wool in yellow for the body of your digger and the insides of the wheel
- Double knit white wool (just enough for the 6 windows)
- Double knit black wool (for wheels, so not very much)
- Double knit orange wool (for light, so about 40 cm)
- Embroidery needle for embroidering the number plate and finishing touches (optional)
- Embroidery yarn (optional)
Read NextCrochet Vehicles Little Car Toys