This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Free Crochet Storage Basket
"When working on a project or multiple projects that requires different colors and other materials, a basket is appropriate. This was the inspiration for creating this customizable basket. The good thing is that this pattern can be made using any yarn weight! This pattern works up quick. The crochet basket can be used for storing different items ranging from yarn to diapers to house hold essentials. Want to learn some beautiful textures? Then this basket pattern is your go to. "
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(3) Light/DK (21-24 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge16 sts over 9 rows = 10 cm square/4” made in dc. Gauge isn’t important for this project.
Finished SizeBase – 10” Height 6”
- Sirdar Snuggly DK, #3 light weight (100% Cotton, 116 yards/106 m per 1.8 oz/50g Skein)
(1) Skein in Sky Blue – Main Color = MC
(2) Skeins in Blue – Contrasting Color = CC
- Please kindly read through the pattern before starting.
- Any #3, #4 or #5 weight of yarns can be substituted, keep in mind that your yardage and finished basket size may vary.
- Chains at the beginning of Rounds or Rows/Rounds do not count as a stitch.
- Chain(s) – ch(s)
- Single Crochet – sc
- Double Crochet – dc
- Double Crochet 2 stitches together– dc2tog
- Double Crochet cluster – dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog in same stitch
- Skip - sk
If using a different weight of yarn;
- Make the Base of your basket as wide as you’d love, you can continue the sequence of increase till you have your desired measurement
- Height – you can repeat till you have a desired height of basket.
- If you increased the width of your Basket, when dividing for the handle, make sure to divide the stitches equally to have the handles placed properly.
Section 1 - Base
Round 1: In a Magic ring, ch 3, 12 dc, join. 12 dc.
Or ch 4, 12 dc in 4th ch from
hook, join—12 dc.
Round 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each around,
Round 3: Ch 2, *dc in next, 2 dc in next;
repeat from * around, join—36 dc.
Round 4: Ch 2, *dc in next 2, 2 dc in
next; repeat from * around, join—48 dc.
Round 5: Ch 2, *dc in next 3, 2 dc in
next; repeat from * around, join—60 dc.
Round 6: Ch 2, *dc in next 4, 2 dc in
next; repeat from * around, join—72 dc.
Round 7: Ch 2, *dc in next 5, 2 dc in
next; repeat from * around, join— 84 dc.
Round 8: Ch 2, *dc in next 6, 2 dc in
next; repeat from * around, join—96 dc.
Round 9: Ch 2, *dc in next 7, 2 dc in
next; repeat from * around, join— 108 dc.
Continue to increase till your desired width.
Rounds 10 – 11: Ch 3, dc in each st around, join. 108 dc.
For a bigger basket, continue this sequence till you have your desired circumference.
Section 2 - Body
Round 1: Ch 3, [dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog] in first st, *skip next 3 sts, ch 1, [dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog] in next st, rep from * to end of the round, ch 1, join. 27 dc clusters.
Fasten off MC, join CC
Round 2: Ch 3, *[dc2tog, ch 1, dc2tog] in ch 1 sp, ch 1, sk next ch 1 sp, rep from * to end, join. 27 dc clusters.
Round 3 – 10: Rep Round 2
Or Repeat Round 2 till your desired height.
Do not fasten off.
Round 1: *Chain 30, skip next 5 dc clusters, sc in ch 1 sp of next dc cluster, **sc in next dc2tog, sc in next ch 1 sp, sc in next dc2tog, rep from ** 7 more times, rep from * to the end. 60 ch sp, 60 sc.
Round 2: Ch 1, *30 sc in ch 30 sp, sc in next 30 sts, rep from * to end, join. 120 sc.
Round 3: Ch 1, sc in each st around, join. 120 sc.
Round 4 – 6: Rep Round 2.
Read NextOne Hour Crochet Hook Case
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crocheters! Right now!
- Get free crochet patterns, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use