Glam Black Cat Hat
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
One of the most popular Halloween costumes for girls is being a cat. Help her be one this year by working up the Glam Black Cat Hat. Not only is it the perfect accessory to a homemade Halloween costume, but it can also be worn later in the year as it stays rather chilly outside. In fact, the best part about this Halloween crochet pattern is that it uses reflective yarn. You can have no worries sending your kids door to door knowing that people will still see them in their costume while it's dark outside.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 sts = 4 (10 cm); 6 rows = 4 (10 cm) in double crochet.
Finished SizeHat measures 16 (18, 20) [42 (47, 52) cm] circumference at brim.
- RED HEART Reflective: 1 ball each 8012 Black A and 8704 Neon Pink B
Susan Bates Crochet Hook: 6mm [US J-10]
- Yarn Needle
- Stitch Markers
Directions are for size Small. Changes for sizes Medium and Large are in parentheses. Special Technique Adjustable-ring method = Wrap yarn in a ring, ensuring that the tail falls behind the working yarn. Grip ring and tail firmly between middle finger and thumb. Insert hook through center of ring, yarn over (with working yarn) and draw up a loop. Work stitches of first round in the ring, working over both strands (the tail and the ring). After the first round of stitches is worked, pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring. Notes 1. Hat is worked in joined rounds with right side facing. Cats ears and flower are made separately and sewn to hat. 2. Ch 1 at beginning of rounds does not count as a stitch. 3. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
With A, make an adjustable ring. Round 1: Ch 1, 12 dc in ring; join with slip st in first dc12 dc. Pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring. Round 2: Ch 1, 2 dc in each st around; join with slip st in first dc24 dc. Round 3: Ch 1, 2 dc in first st, dc in next st, *2 dc in next, dc in next st; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first dc36 dc. Round 4: Ch 1, 2 dc in first st, dc in next 2 st, *2 dc in next, dc in next 2 st; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first dc 48 dc. Round 5: Ch 1, 2 dc in first st, dc in next 23 (5, 3) sts, *2 dc in next st, dc in next 23 (5, 3) sts; repeat from * 0 (6, 10) times; join with slip st in first dc 50 (56, 60) dc. Size Large only Round 6: Ch 1, 2 dc in first st, dc in next 29 sts, 2 dc in next st, dc in next 29 sts; join with slip st in first dc62 dc. All sizes Rounds 6 (6, 7)7 (8, 9): Ch 1, dc in each st around; change to B at end of last round; join with slip st in first dc. Rounds 8 (9, 10) and 9 (10, 11): Ch 1, sc in each st around; change to A at end of last round; join with slip st in first sc. Round 10 (11, 12): Ch 2 (counts as first dc), dc in each st around; change to B; join with slip st in top of beginning ch. Rounds 11 (12, 13) and 12 (13, 14): Ch 1, sc in each st around; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Ear (Make 4)
With B and leaving a long tail, make an adjustable ring. Row 1 (right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 4 dc in ring, ch 1, 4 dc in ring, ch 3 (counts as last dc); join with slip st in ring10 dc and 1 ch-1 space. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Pull gently, but firmly, on beginning tail to tighten ring. Edging (work twice) Hold wrong side of one ear to right side of another ear. Row 1: With right side of top ear facing and working through both thicknesses, join A with slip st in top of beginning ch, ch 2, hdc in next 4 sts, slip st in ch-1 space, ch 3, slip st in 3rd chain from hook, hdc in next 4 sts, ch 2; join with slip st in top of ending ch. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Flower With B, make an adjustable ring. Round 1 (right side): Ch 1, 8 hdc in ring; join with slip st in first hdc8 hdc. Pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring. Round 2: Ch 1, sc in first st, [ch 3, sc in next st] 7 times, ch 3; join with slip st in first sc8 sc and 8 ch-3 spaces. Round 3: (Slip st, ch 1, hdc, ch 1, slip st petal made) in each ch-3 space; join with slip st in first slip st8 petals.
For each ear, weave A tails between pieces. Thread all B tails through center bottom of ear. Lay hat flat with seam at center back and place stitch markers on each side of Round 3. Thread B tails through stitches at markers and tie securely on wrong side of hat. Sew flower in place where desired. Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
- 31 Crochet Witch Patterns: Hats, Decor, and More
- Classic Candy Corn Trick-or-Treat Bag
- 14 Crochet Pumpkin Patterns
- 190 Free Halloween Crochet Patterns: The Ultimate Collection
- Halloween Eyeball
- 12 Free Halloween Crochet Doily Patterns
- Pineapple Pumpkin Crochet Lace Pattern
- 18+ Crochet Halloween Costumes for Kids
- 21 Free Halloween Crochet Patterns
- Autumn Vine Crochet Pumpkin
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Caroline Sweater
- Super Simple Slipper Socks
- 4 Basics Of Tapestry Crochet
- Crochet Pocket Shawl Autumn Berries
- Spider Lace Crochet Pattern – Stitch Tutorial
- Alpine Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Rose Garden Stitch – Free Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Textured Single Crochet: Back And Front Loop Single Crochet – Stitch Tutorial
- How To Crochet A Granny Square
- Why A Gauge Swatch Is Important When Crocheting A Garment
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters