This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
April Flowers Headband or Hair Accessory
"This versatile flower accessory can be made into a headband, or hair barrette, or the flowers can be split up and used to decorate hats, bags, purses, belts, scarves and blankets! The possibilities are endless for these crochet flowers! I've included a backing to sew the flowers onto. Just slip any 1 1/2" wide ribbon through the backing's loops for an endless variety of looks and styles! I've used a satin ribbon and a faux crochet lace ribbon in this design, but you can use any kind of ribbon you want. Also included are 3 different finishing options for a headband."
Notes3 different options for finishing the headband portion of this accessory are included at the bottom of the pattern!
This accessory can also be made with crochet thread.
Crochet HookD/3 or 3.25 mm hook, G/6 or 4 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeGauge is not particularly important.
Finished SizeJohnny Jump-up: 2 1/2” tall by 2” wide. Rose: 3 1/2" across. Flower holder: 4 1/4" long by 2" wide. Entire accessory is approximately 4" wide x 6 1/2" long.
- 3.25mm hook for Johnny Jump-ups, and leaves
- 4mm hook for Rose, and flower holder
- For Johnny Jump-ups: 5 yards or less each of Caron Simply Soft yarn in Sunshine (yellow), Orchid (light purple), and Red Heart Soft Grape (dark purple)
- For Rose: 10-15 yards Caron Simply Soft in Plum Wine
- For Leaves: 5 yards Caron Simply Soft in "Pistachio", and Red Heart Soft in "Guacamole"
- For flower centers: 3 yards # 10 crochet thread in a dark purple color
- yarn needle
- Sewing thread in a color that matches the rose
- 3 pearls, approximately 10 mm across.
- 1 yard each: 1 1/2" satin ribbon, 1" faux crochet ribbon
Read NextHow to Crochet a Poinsettia