American Flag Crochet Afghan Pattern
This beautifully rustic crochet American flag is a free pattern with a bonus PDF download.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
With a classic Americana look and beautiful textures, this American Flag Crochet Afghan Pattern is sure to be your new favorite.
Nothing says "I Love America" more than the red, white, and blue American flag. Now you can wrap yourself up in pride with the American Flag crochet afghan from Lion Brand Yarns. This ripple crocheted afghan is an intermediate crochet pattern to complete using Heartland yarn.
Bring this crochet afghan with you to the 4th of July fireworks, or curl up on the couch with this red, white, and blue afghan as you watch the Olympics.
This American Flag afghan also makes a fantastic gift for loved ones who have served in the military or love showing off their patriotic love.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>>
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge1 ripple = about 4 in. (10 cm) wide.
12 sts + 6 1/2 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm) in ripple pattern.
1 Star = about 3 in. (7.5 cm) wide.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Finished SizeOne Size, About 35 x 52 in. (89 x 132 cm)
- 136-113 Heartland Yarn: Redwood (A): 3 skeins
- 136-098 Heartland Yarn: Acadia (B): 2 skeins
- 136-109 Heartland Yarn: Olympic (C): 1 skein
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size J-10 (6 mm)
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
Looking for more? Download our free 4th of July eBook for the best free patterns in a printable format >>> 9 Free 4th of July Crochet Patterns
American Flag Crochet Afghan Pattern from Lion Brand
dc3tog (dc 3 sts together) (Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yarn over, draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook – 2 sts decreased.
- The ripple in this design is created by working dc3tog to form 'valleys' and 3 dc all in one st to form 'peaks'. In each row, take care to work dc3tog over the 3 sts in each 'valley' and 3 dc in the center dc of each 'peak.' You may wish to use stitch markers to mark each peak.
- The ripple pattern may not be evident until you have work multiple rows.
- To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete the st.
- The blue field for Stars is worked in intarsia. The Stars are made separately and then sewed to Afghan.
- Unfortunately, there's an issue with the way the afghan was shot – there are more stripes than shown in the main image (of the afghan laying on a couch). We've added a second image that shows the full striping.
American Flag Crochet Afghan Pattern:
With A, ch 160.
Row 1 (RS): Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as first dc), *dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch; rep from * 11 more times, dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 2 dc in last ch - 13 ripples at the end of this row.
Rows 2-8: Ch 3 (counts as first dc in this row and in all following rows), turn, dc in first dc, *dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc; rep from * 11 more times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Change to B. Fasten off A.
Rows 9-16: With B, rep Row 2 eight times. Change to A. Fasten off B.
Rows 17-24: With A, rep Row 2 eight times. Change to B. Fasten off A.
Rows 25-32: With B, rep Row 2 eight times. Change to A. Fasten off B.
FIELD FOR STARS
Note: One half of each row is worked with A and one half is worked with C. When changing color, drop, but do not fasten off the old color.
Row 33 (RS): With A, ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 6 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, dc in next dc and change to C; with C, 2 dc in same dc as last st (this completes a 3-dc peak), (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 5 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Row 34: With C, ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 5 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc and change to A; with A, dc in same dc as last st (this completes a 3-dc peak), (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 6 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Rows 35-40: Rep Rows 33 and 34 three times. Change to B. Fasten off A. Do not fasten off C.
Rows 41-48: Using B in place of A, rep Rows 33-40. Change to A. Fasten off B. Do not fasten off C.
Rows 49-56: With A and C, rep Rows 33-40. Fasten off A and C.
STARS (make 11)
With B, ch 5; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, (2 sc in ring, ch 1) 5 times; join with sl st in first sc - 10 sc and 5 ch-1 sps at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 2: *Ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch, sl st in next ch-1 sp of Rnd 1; rep from * 4 more times. Fasten off.
Arrange Stars on field as follows:
Top Row: 4 Stars evenly spaced with top of Stars about 2 in. (5 cm) below top edge of Afghan.
Lower Row: 4 Stars evenly spaced with bottom of Stars about 2 in. (5 cm) from lower edge of Blue Field, and lined up with Stars of Top Row.
Middle Row: 3 Stars evenly spaced and staggered between Stars of Top and Lower Rows.
Sew Stars in place.
Weave in ends.
Click on any image to enlarge:
American Flag Afghan Pattern PDF
Want to save this pattern for later or print it out in an easy-to-follow format? Get the free printable PDF from Lion Brand:
Click Here to Download
the American Flag Afghan Pattern PDF
How to Print the PDF:
Printing this is as easy as 1-2-3! If you're not familiar with printing PDFs, here's the step-by-step, along with a few tips.
- Click the red button right above this section that reads, "Click Here to Download the American Flag Afghan Pattern PDF". Or, just click this link here to download.
- Find and open the PDF.
Pro tip: You may see the download appear at the bottom of your browser window, and you can open it from there. Or check wherever your downloads are set to save to (the Downloads folder is often a default location).
- Click the "Print File" button, choose the printer, choose how many copies you want, make any additional adjustments needed for personal preference, and click the "Print" button.
- Grab your hook, yarn, and any other supplies needed and you'll be ready to crochet this beauty!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Crochet Halloween Candy Basket
- C2c Cluster Stitch Square
- Camila Crochet Cardigan
- Catalina Corner To Corner Crochet Headscarf
- Halloween Mug Rug
- 1 Hour Crochet Beanie
- Tessa Skirt
- Peeking Puff Stitch Cowl
- Crochet Waffle Stitch Tutorial
- Suzette Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters