32 Free Crochet Shawl Patterns, Crochet Ponchos & More
By: The Editors at allfreecrochet.com
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
I'm sure we can all admit that we've tried a fabulous shawl on in a store and just stared at ourselves in the mirror for 10 minutes, only to put it back on the rack because it was just too pricey. Why do we continuously put ourselves through that pain? Beats me. Luckily, you have an amazing skill in the world of crochet, so you can easily make your own free crochet shawl patterns. That's right, I said free!
Free crochet shawl patterns can be made and worn all year-round. They can be worn under heavy coats or they can be worn over tank tops to complete an outfit. Shawls come in all crochet colors and designs, perfect for showing off your fashion sense. Here you can find all the free crochet shawl patterns you want. You can also find stoles, wraps and even crochet ponchos.
PLUS - check out our video tutorial for how to weave in ends so you can finish off your crochet shawls with no loose ends.
Access the best crochet shawl patterns at any time by downloading our free eBook, 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
Free Crochet Shawl Patterns
The classic crochet shawl never goes out of style because it will be eternally useful and just as versatile. Shawls are a great way to dress a casual outfit up, but they can also add that incredible drama to an already elegant dress. With different crochet stitches and endless color variations, the patterns here have something for everyone—including brides-to-be!
- Channel your favorite classic movie star with this Vintage Lace Popcorn Shawl. Inspired by the timeless looks of old Hollywood glamour, this particular piece is an easy crochet pattern to work up with lovely lace yarn. This particular item is made using the popcorn stitch and can be worn either as a crocheted shawl or a wide, textured scarf. Heads will definitely turn when you wear this breathtaking crocheted scarf. It's the ideal accessory for the spring and summer months.
- Convertible Shell ShawlThis is definitely not your average crochet shawl pattern. The Convertible Shell Shawl is unique because you can wear it a number of different ways. This pretty crochet pattern can be worn as a normal crochet shawl, a poncho, a shrug, or any other way you want. Having a versatile shawl like this in your wardrobe is a blessing during the cold, winter months when dressing in layers is key to staying warm and comfortable.
- Angel Wings Shawl PatternHere's a decorative and wearable shawl that can be created by following this easy crochet pattern. This Angel Wings Shawl Pattern is a wonderful DIY clothing design that is perfect for the holiday season or just when it starts to get cold outside. Add this beautiful piece of clothing to your wardrobe today. You will want to wear it every single day.
- Oversized Crochet ShawlYou'll feel cozy and safe every time you wear this Oversized Crochet Shawl. This large crochet shawl measures approximately 80 inches wide by 40 inches deep including the border. A basic fringe works well for a border, but feel free to crochet any border of your choice (or none at all). Shawls are perfect to wear in the fall, but this larger-than-life shawl would also be great at keeping you warm during the winter, too. The box stitch is used to work up this crochet pattern.
- Purple Serenity ShawlThis Purple Serenity Shawl is super easy to work up and creates a perfect triangular pattern. Use only one and a half skeins of yarn in a v-stitch pattern, and your crochet shawl is ready to wear. The design is perfect for spring and fall because it's a warm accessory but it won't let you overheat in the nice in-between months. Work up this crochet shawl pattern in the pretty purple color shown or use your own- it works well no matter what you decide to do!
- Daisy Fields Shawl"This Daisy Fields Shawl is the first of many to come in my latest collection, the Daisy Fields Collection! Super cute way to keep your shoulders covered for any event!"
- Silky Panda Crochet Shawl"The Silky Panda Crochet Shawl is named for the super soft and silky Panda Pearl Yarn that it’s made from. It’s a semi-circle wrap made in 3 colors, so there is no need to clip the yarn from row to row. This wrap is great for cool summer evenings, as it is very lightweight."
- Golden Shimmer ShawlEveryone needs to feel like royalty at some point, so add some gilded glamour to your style with this Golden Shimmer Shawl. This easy crochet shawl has a soft glitter that will catch the light perfectly—not too overpowering to be gaudy, but just enough to still make a statement. This shawl has a great bunched shape thanks to the half-hexagon pattern, and the neutral shade will look great with so many other colors. This free crochet pattern is a great way to test out your one-of-a-kind crochet fashion.
- Alyssa's ShawlAlyssa's Shawl is just what you need to wear at night in the summer to keep you warm. This crochet shawl uses a simple pattern to create a decorative design.
- Madeleine's Vintage ShawlThis crochet vintage shawl is great for any age. It is light-weight and delicate, so it works perfectly with fancy dresses, but it can also be thrown over a basic tank and jeans. The crochet lace design is only made that much more gorgeous with the fluttery crochet edging, giving this shawl pattern some texture. Work one up today for your new go-to crochet shawl!
- Paris ShawlTry a more sophisticated look with this delightfully elegant Paris Shawl and treat your life as a Fashion Week runway. This crochet shawl pattern features a fringe detail to give it a more dressed up look, but this crochet design can complete any outfit with ease. Make yours today!
- Sugar Plum ShawlThe Sugar Plum Shawl is the perfect accessory for the winter months. It's both delicate and cozy to wear, and it's quick to work up. Use Lion Brand Amazing Yarn to complete this free crochet pattern. Instructions are included for both a regular sized shawl and a smaller "shawlette," so you can be sure it will fit you just right.
- Sweet and Simple ShawlThis free easy crochet pattern is great for those who are just beginning to crochet. Make a Sweet and Simple Shawl for yourself and you're sure to stay warm and stylish year-round. This shawl is great for any time of year, even a nice summer night. Brown is a great color for fall, but you could use light pink or pale blue for the summer months. This crochet shawl pattern measures 24 inches wide by 60 inches long, although it's designed to accommodate whatever length you want.
- Beautiful Bridal ShawlAdd a homemade touch to your special day with this Beautiful Bridal Shawl. Use Aunt Lydia's Crochet Thread from Red Heart to complete this free crochet shawl pattern. It can be made in ivory or white for the bride, or in any color for a bridesmaid or maid-of-honor. Bamboo thread gives this crochet design beautiful drape and a nice silky sheen.
- Bright Flower Lattice ShawlIf you're looking to spice up your spring wardrobe then now is the time to work up this Bright Flower Lattice Shawl. Using a brilliant variegated yarn and different crochet stitches you can have this crochet shawl in time for spring. This shawl can be made for all sizes from children to adults, but more yarn is required for adults. Each of the flower crochet designs adds a bit of character to this shawl as each row is worked. Wrap yourself in pretty floral designs this season and show it off to all your friends; they'll want one, too.
- Downton Abbey Dowager ShawlIf you're addicted to the show on PBS, you'll be just as obsessed with the Downton Abbey Dowager Shawl. Premier Yarns has come out with a whole line of yarn inspired by Downton Abbey. This crochet shawl is made from Downton Abbey Lady Sybil yarn, which is a lovely gray hue and is a fine weight yarn, and you just need an F crochet hook to work it up. We could see the prideful Dowager Countess wearing this crochet pattern or even Lady Sybil sporting it along with her revolutionary ideas. The shawl has a gorgeous design that only the v stitch can achieve so beautifully.
Stoles and Crochet Ponchos
Crochet poncho patterns are ideal because you can just toss them on over your head and go, but that doesn't mean they don't pay attention to style. The designs on these patterns range from seriously chic to fun summer crochet patterns.
- Rainbow Lace Crochet PonchoThe Rainbow Lace Crochet Poncho has such an open and airy feel to it, thanks to the crochet lace pattern. It is an easy crochet pattern that can be made in many different sizes, so this piece would work for anyone. If you're looking for something to throw on over a plain outfit, then this will definitely bring some wonderful color and texture to the table. This free poncho pattern would look great over any shirt, especially a green or indigo one that played off the dominant colors of the crochet piece. Make it for a friend, or scoop this up for yourself!
- Boho PonchoFall is right around the corner, and with it comes poncho season. Crochet ponchos, like this stunning Boho Poncho, are a great way to add some quick style and warmth to your outfit. Quick to work up and easy to follow, this crochet pattern can be made in any color - or use self-striping yarn, as in the photo, for a seamless and colorful design. With no armholes to work up and complicate things, this easy pattern is a breeze. Add some flirty fringe at the ends to complete your boho masterpiece.
- A Soft Comfy Poncho for FallIt's the perfect time to make a Soft Comfy Poncho for Fall. Use this free crochet pattern from Berta Gilholm. She uses a Gala yarn in an Olive/Yellow color and the basic crochet stitches; this is an easy to intermediate crochet pattern.
- Fashionable PonchoThis is an easy crochet pattern that will make you so stylish and fashionable. You can wear this little ponchini one of two ways.
- Fashion StoleThis is warmer than your average stole. You can wear this free easy crochet pattern like a stole or a wrap.
- Feather StoleLight and airy, this delicate lace stole is truly a wonder to behold. This free crochet pattern, worked up in a beautiful cherry color, is an easy shawl that you're sure to treasure again and again. A dainty lace pattern repeat makes up the majority of the shawl and makes it a perfect piece to layer over a fancy dress or a delicate tank top.
- This crochet poncho pattern was made for a queen. Worked up in a royal red yarn, this poncho is sure to make anyone look like they belong atop a throne. Crocheted with an asymmetrical hem, the Queen Elizabeth Poncho is designed to flatter any body type. Consider wearing the finished project with boots and jeans for a comfy, casual look. This would be a great piece to wear for extra warmth on the way to a formal event, as well.
- Cozy Cowl PonchoStay warm and toasty this winter with this Cozy Cowl Poncho. Use Lion Brand variegated yarn to work up this easy crochet poncho pattern - choose your shade and work up your own work of art that weaves in and out of various color hues. The cowl neckline makes this one of the most trendy crochet poncho patterns ever and will definitely keep you cozy without sacrificing a bit of style this season. Bulky yarn makes this a quick crochet pattern to work up. This crochet poncho pattern is available in one size only and measures about 22 inches by 25 inches.
- Pretty Purple PonchoGirls of all ages will love wearing this Pretty Purple Poncho around town. The granny stitch is used to crochet this free poncho pattern. If you're familiar with the granny stitch, you'll be able to work up this design in no time. It's a trendy fashion item that's ideal for the fall months. This particular pattern is written for 3-5 year old children, but can be easily adjusted if you'd like to make an adult version for yourself. Bulky weight yarn means this is a quick pattern to work up.
Wraps just make you feel good; there is something about pulling one around your shoulders and snuggling down into them. There are some particularly elegant ones in this collection, so be sure to check them all out.
- Mega WrapFasten this Mega Wrap with a stylish pin, throw it over a long sleeve shirt and you have a simple, homemade sweater! This is an easy crochet project that you can wear a variety of ways with any outfit.
- Motif WrapThis Motif Wrap is for experienced crocheters, but the work will definitely pay off with this stylish wrap. This wrap can complete any outfit, and it can even work as a light jacket in the fall.
- Chevron Lace WrapThis Chevron Lace Wrap is no doubt going to get you compliments every time you wear it. It's that perfect crochet pattern that will keep you warm on those chilly nights and complete that outfit on your night out. It can be worn as a wrap, shawl or scarf, just follow the crochet instructions. You won't be able to make just one.
- The Best Ruffle WrapThis free crochet pattern from Premier Yarns really is The Best Ruffle Wrap you can find. Even though it is shown in a luxurious red that we love, you can work it up in another color if that suits you better. The red crochet shawl pattern is also perfectly festive for the holiday season and is sure to bring you cheer all through the winter months. Cocoon yourself in warmth and comfort no matter if you're holed inside to avoid the blizzard or taking a refreshing walk with just the right amount of chill.
- Monday Blues ShawlEven though this Monday Blues Shawl has all the deep, rich color tones of blue, you won't be feeling down when you're wearing this! The shawl crochet pattern has an understated triangle shape, and it can actually double as a crochet scarf because it is so versatile. The wave styling looks great with these blue colors, and the mix of dark and light creates a perception of depth that really sets this easy crochet shawl apart. The lightness of the fine weight yarn does not prevent this shawl from having fabulous warmth either.
- Flora Wrap/ Shawl"Wrap yourself in this light and lacy shawl, perfect for spring or fall! The beautiful texture in this pattern reminds of flower petals and it pairs beautifully with the self striping yarn. The Flora Wrap is worked in rows back and forth in two parts. You will begin by working one half of the wrap, then start the other half by working on the opposite site of foundation chain. The foundation chain will be placed right in the middle of the wrap and the 2 halves will be symmetrical."
- Sequins Crochet Wrap"Casual glam wrap for cool nights."
For some fun and fabulous crochet shrugs, check out 31 Free Crochet Shrug Patterns
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Heirloom Wedding Ring Quilt
- Rainbow Tunisian Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Comfy Heritage Quilt Crochet Blanket
- The Cutest Chevron Stroller Blankie
- Wrap and Go Shawl
- Beginner Squares Afghan
- Maid Marion Lace Crochet Shawl
- Autumn Butterfly Cardigan
- Unforgettable Top Down Shawl
- Majestic Hooded Scarf Pattern