We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Step out in style with the Halsey Street Pompom Helmet. Inspired by the streets of Queens, New York, this trendy crochet hat will make you the envy of all your fashionista friends. Work up this free crochet pattern in no time using Lion Brand Hometown USA, a bulky yarn that's ideal for braving the elements of winter. A cute pom pom adds a fun and playful finishing touch. This easy crochet pattern stretches to fit a wide range of sizes.
Crochet HookN/15 or 10 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
LION BRAND® HOMETOWN USA® (Art. #135)
#113 Cincinnati Red 1 ball (A)
#600 Bulldogs 1 ball (B)
or colors of your choice
- LION BRAND® crochet hook size P-15 (10 mm)
- LION BRAND® Pom-Pom maker
- LION BRAND® large-eyed blunt needle
Finished circumference: 20 in. (51 cm). Hat will stretch to fit a range of sizes.
9 1/2 sts + 6 rnds = 4 in. (10 cm) over pattern.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to match the gauge, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
- Helmet is worked in joined rnds beg at lower edge. Do not turn at ends of rnds.
- Color is changed by fastening off the old color and joining the new color.
- Earflaps are worked back and forth in rows across lower edge of Helmet.
- Sts for Helmet are worked through back loops only. Sts for earflaps are worked through both loops.
With A, ch 48; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1 (RS): Join B with sc in same ch as joining, sc in each ch around; join with sl st in first sc – 48 sc. Fasten off.
Note: Beginning on Rnd 2, work through back loops only.
Rnd 2: Draw up a loop of A in any st, ch 4 (counts as first dc + ch 1 in this rnd and in all following rnds), sk next st, *dc in next st, ch 1, sk next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch – 24 dc and 24 ch-1 sps at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in each dc and ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first sc – 48 sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 4: With B, rep Rnd 2. Fasten off.
Rnd 5: From RS, join A with sc in any st, sc in each dc and ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnd 6: Ch 4, sk next st, *dc in next st, ch 1, sk next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch. Fasten off.
Rnd 7: Draw up a loop of B in any dc and ch 3 (counts as first dc in this rnd and in all following rnds), *sk next ch-1 sp, dc in next dc; rep from * to last ch-1 sp, sk last ch-1 sp; join with sl st in top of beg ch – 24 dc.
Rnd 8: Ch 3, dc in each st around, join with sl st in top of beg ch. Fasten off.
Rnd 9: From RS, join A with sc in any st, sc in each st around; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnd 10: Ch 1, sc in each st around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 11: From RS, join B with sc in any st, sc in next 2 sts, sk next st, *sc in next 3 sts, sk next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc – 18 sc.
Rnd 12: Ch 1, *sk next st, sc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc – 9 sc.
Rnd 13: Ch 1, *sk next st, sc in next st; rep from * to last st, sk last st; join with sl st in first sc – 4 sc.
Fasten off, leaving a long yarn tail. Thread yarn tail through sts of last rnd and pull to gather. Knot securely.
Note: Work through both loops when working earflaps.
Row 1 (RS): From RS and working through both loops across opposite side of foundation ch, join B with sc in any ch, sc in next 11 ch; leave rem sts unworked – 12 sc at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sk first st, sc in each st across – 11 sc.
Row 3: Ch 3, turn, sk next st, dc in each st across – 10 dc.
Rows 4 and 5: Rep Rows 2 and 3 – 8 dc at the end of Row 5.
Row 6: Rep Row 3 – 7 dc.
Row 7: Ch 1, turn, sk first st, sc in next st, sk next st, dc in next st, sk next st, sc in next st, sk last st, sl st in edge of last row worked. Fasten off.
Row 1 (RS): From RS, sk 14 unworked sts following first earflap across front of Helmet. Working through both loops across opposite side of foundation ch, join B with sc in next foundation ch, sc in next 11 ch; leave rem sts unworked – 12 sc.
Rows 2-7: Work same as Rows 2-7 of first earflap. Fasten off.
From RS, join B with sl st anywhere along lower edge of Hat, sl st evenly around lower edge of Helmet and earflaps. Fasten off.
With B, and following package directions, make a large pom-pom. Tie pom-pom to top of Helmet. With A, make 2 medium size pom-poms. Cut 6 in. (15 cm) lengths of B and use lengths to tie one medium pom-pom to each earflap.
Weave in ends.
beg = begin(ning)
ch = chain
ch-sp = chain space previously made
dc = double crochet
rem = remain(ing)(s)
rep = repeat
rnd(s) = round(s)
RS = right side
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
sl st = slip st
sp(s) = space(s)
st(s) = stitch(es)
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Mickey and Minnie Inspired Heart Appliques
- Crochet Mini Bows
- Crochet Geometric Crop Top
- Crochet Mesh Loop Triangle Scarf
- Crochet Hungry Monster Candy Bag
- Fall Harvest Coaster Set
- Crochet Cross Hatch Stitch Cowl
- Criss-Cross Chunky Crochet Beanie
- Just Peachy Baby Cocoon
- The Kristie Cardi
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet