Never Ending Granny Afghans: 8 Crochet Patterns with Diagrams & Video Tutorials
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
The Petal Pops Blanket is exactly what its name suggests: a brilliant pop of floral color, perfect for those slightly chilly spring evenings or cold winter days that need some cheer. The vibrant pink and green hues aren't the only things that pop, though—the crochet granny squares that make up this blanket are easy crochet patterns to work up. You'll work through these crochet motif patterns like popping potato chips into your mouth, and then all you have to do is assemble them in a square grid pattern and add a border. This granny square afghan is a must-crochet for those who love floral designs.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 dc and 6 rows = 4 inches (10 cm); Motif = Approx 8 inch (20 cm) square
Finished SizeApproximately 50 x 58 inches (142 x 147.5 cm)
- Caron® One Pound™ (16 oz/453.6 g; 812 yds/742 m): 3 balls of Dark Pink (10621) for Contrast A; 3 balls of Grass Green (10620) for Contrast B; 3 balls of Cape Cod Blue (10539) for Contrast C
- Size U.S. H/8 (5 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Looking for more granny square afghans? This collection of granny square patterns will be the perfect way to build your next blanket: 18 Granny Squares to Crochet
Crochet Motif Pattern
Make 30 of these. See diagram below for layout (click to enlarge).
With A, ch 6. Join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
1st rnd: Ch 5 (counts as 1 tr and ch-1). (1 tr. Ch 1) in ring 15 times. Sl st in 4th ch of beg ch-5. 16 ch sps.
2nd rnd: Sl st in first ch-1 sp. Ch 4. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. Drop loop from hook. Insert hook in top of ch 3. Pull dropped loop through hook – beg popcorn made. Ch 2. *[Popcorn. Ch 2] in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around. Join with sl st to top of beg ch-4. Break A. 16 - Popcorn. Ch 2.
3rd rnd: Join B with sl st to any ch-2 sp. Ch 3 (counts as dc). (3 dc. ch 2. 4 dc) in same sp as last sl st (corner). *(Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-2 sp) 3 times. Ch 3. (4 dc. Ch 2. 4 dc) in next ch-2 sp. (corner). Rep from * twice more. (Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-2 sp) 3 times. Ch 3. Join with sl st to top of ch-3.
4th rnd: Sl st in each st to first corner ch-2 sp. Ch 3 (counts as dc). (3 dc. Ch 2. 4 dc) in same sp as last sl st. *Ch 1. Skip next ch-3 sp. (4 dc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 1) twice. Skip next ch-3 sp. (4 dc. Ch 2. 4 dc) in corner ch-2 sp. Rep from * twice more. Ch 1. Skip next ch-3 sp. (4 dc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 1) twice. Sl st in top of beg ch-3. Fasten off.
5th rnd: Join C to any corner ch-2 sp. Ch 3 (counts as dc). (3 dc. Ch 2. 4 dc) in same sp as last sl st. *(4 dc in next ch-1 sp) 3 times. (4 dc. ch 2. 4 dc) in corner ch-2 sp. Rep from * twice more. (4 dc. in next ch-1 sp) 3 times. Join with sl st to top of ch-3. Fasten off.
Join Motifs together as seen in Assembly Diagram below (click to enlarge).
Crochet Border Pattern
With RS facing, join A with sl st to any corner ch-2 sp of Blanket.
1st rnd: Ch 3 (counts as dc). Work dc evenly around entire Blanket working 5 dc in each corner. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
2nd and 3rd rnds: As 1st rnd. Join B at end of last rnd. Break A.
4th to 6th rnds: With B, as 1st rnd. Fasten off.
- 4 dc in indicated stitch. Drop loop from hook. Insert hook in first dc. Pull dropped loop through hook – Popcorn made.
- Right Side
- Single crochet/Double crochet
- Sl st
- Slip stitch
- Treble Crochet
For tips on getting that perfect crochet border pattern, check out this how-to article: How to Keep Edges Straight in Crochet
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Floral Granny Hexagon
Seashell Granny Square Pattern
Tranquil Garden Afghan Square
Quick and Easy Jeweled Afghan
Nana's Favorite Baby Blanket
Crochet the Rainbow Granny Square Throw
Makin' Squares Blanket
11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Projects
Midnight Magic Afghan
Citrus Smoothie Throw
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- 26 Bernat Blanket Yarn Patterns That Are Too Cute to Miss
- 35 Variegated Yarn Crochet Patterns
- Snow Boarder Chunky Beanie
- Teddy Bear
- Great Lakes Slouch Hat
- Great Lakes Messy Bun Hat
- Chloe Olympic Snowboarding Hat
- Hair Flower No-Slip Clips
- Baby Boy Beanie
- Soft and Sweet Easter Hat
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet