Curly Crochet Necklace
Make a Curly Crochet Necklace to accessorize your outfit with. This is an easy crochet pattern you can work up in a short time. Use two of your favorite colors or simply keep it a solid.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Worsted weight yarn, (or cotton yarn)
- Crochet hook, size 5mm (US H8)
- 1 to 3 large beads
- Yarn needle
- 20 gauge Craft wire, or florist wire
1. Cut 2 lengths of wire approx. 18 inches long.
2. Curl the ends into loops on each end, leaving one end not curled. (curl 3 ends). Photo 1 and 2.
3. Single crochet enough stitches around the wire to cover it. 100 stitches were used in this sample. To begin, make a slip knot, hold the hook and slip knot in front of the wire, and the yarn behind the wire, place the hook over the wire and pull the yarn over the top of the wire, then complete a single crochet. Then single crochet as usual, working around the wire to enclose it inside the stitches. Photos 3, 4, and 5.
4. Cover the 2 lengths of wire, leaving the last end straight.
5. Place a bead on the straight end. Pass the straight end through one of the loops on the other section. Photo 9. (The beads featured in this necklace are papier mache beads, made with paper towels, and the video demonstration can be seen on youtube.
6. Push the bead away, and form a loop with the straight end, then flatten out both loops to accommodate the bead. Pass the bead over the joined section and push the stitches from both sides up to the bead. Photos 9, 10, 11. 7. Shape the sections into wiggles and curls. Photos 12, 13, 14, 15.
Make the chains for hanging around the neck:
8. First make a slip knot, then pass through the wire loop. Photo 16. Then chain a cord as long as you would like, (this sample used 26 stitches).
9. To form a buttonhole, slip stitch into the 7th stitch from the hook, and fasten off. Photos 16, 17, 18, and 19. 10. Make the opposite chain cord in the same manner, and attach a large bead or a shank button on the end. Weave all yarn ends into the finished work.
OPTIONAL: Add beads wherever you would like, by sewing them onto the necklace.
Read NextMexican Fiesta Earrings