Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
If you're always looking for a new and unique way to use crochet motifs, the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat is an unexpected and adorable option. The hat band is worked up by connecting motifs that look like cute mini granny squares. This stylish slouchy hat uses chunky yarn in serene blue shades, so it stitches up quickly in easy-to-care-for acryclic. If you've struggled with shaping crochet hats in the past, you'll appreciate how this pattern is crocheted flat in rows, and then seamed together to finish.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook, J/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeMotif = 2.5” (6.5 cm) in pattern with smaller hook. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 149 yd/136 m)
- 2 skeins in 335 Duck Egg Blue (CA)
- 1 skein each in 334 Kingfisher Blue (CB) and 333 Marine Blue (CC)
- Or approximately 210 yd (192 m) in CA, 95 yd (87 m) in CB, and 125 yd (114.5 m) in CC in any bulky weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn Needle
- Clover Pom Pom Maker - Large 3-3/8” size (optional)
This pattern is part of AllFreeCrochet's 10th Birthday Celebration! Find more great new patterns and exclusive giveaways here: AllFreeCrochet’s 10th Birthday Celebration
U.S. Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together (decrease) – [Insert hook in next sp, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses into same stitch or space.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat begins with crocheted motifs. Once joined, the rest of the hat is crocheted flat in rows and then seamed.
- A helpful tutorial for joining with a slip stitch seam is available here.
- A helpful tutorial for joining with a mattress stitch seam is available here.
- A helpful tutorial for making pom poms without a pom pom maker is available here.
- The free crochet pattern for the coordinating Bluebird Beanie (made with the same 4 skeins of yarn) is available here.
Motif Hat Band (Make 4 each in CB and CC)
First Motif ONLY
With smaller hook, ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form ring.
Rnd 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, [3 dc in ring, ch 1] 3 times, 3 dc in ring, join with sc (counts as ch-1 sp) to to first dc. (12 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 dc in same ch-1 sp, *dc in next 3 dc,** (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in ch-1 sp, rep from * around, ending last rep at ** before first ch-1 sp, 2 dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, join with sl st to first first dc. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 18”/46 cm) for seaming. (28 sts + 4 ch-1 sp)
Rep Instructions as for First Motif. Do not fasten off.
With Wrong Sides facing, join with slip stitch seam (see Pattern Notes) to previous Motif, alternating colors, until you have 8 Motifs assembled in a row. Fasten off.
Body of Hat
With larger hook, join CA with sl st on Right Side to ch-1 sp at edge of Motif Hat Band.
Row 1: Ch 1, 2 sc in same ch-1 sp, *scBL in next 7 sts, sc in ch-1 sp,** sc2tog in same ch-1 sp and next ch-1 sp, sc in ch-1 sp; rep from * across, ending last rep after ** in last ch-1 sp, sc again in same ch-1 sp. (80 sts)
Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, skip 1 st, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st, *skip 2 sts, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sts, skip 1 st, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st.
Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, *skip 2 sts, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st; rep from * across.
Rep Row 3 until hat measures 9” (23 cm) or desired final length. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 18”/46 cm) for seaming.
Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail in CA from top of hat. Fold hat across rows. Seam edges of rows together with mattress stitch (see Pattern Notes) until you reach Motifs. Fasten off CA.
With smaller crochet hook and long yarn tail from first Motif, join first and last Motif with Wrong Sides facing using slip stitch seam (see Pattern Notes).
Cut a piece of CA to approximately 18”/46 cm. Thread yarn needle with CA. Weave yarn needle through each stitch on finished edge of hat (top of final repeat of Row 3). Slowly tighten yarn tail to pull top of hat closed.
With CA, make pom pom following instructions on Pom Pom Maker. Alternatively, see Pattern Notes for link to tutorial for making a pom pom by hand.
Trim pom pom.
Attach pom pom to hat using yarn needle and yarn tail that tied pom pom together.
With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.
Love the colors of the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat? Marie from Underground Crafter has created another hat design using the same shades of yarn! See the pattern here: Bluebird Beanie
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Pattern of the Day
The Big Blue Crochet Scarf is extra-wide and extra-long, so it will definitely keep you nice and cozy during the cooler months of the… Continue reading: "Big Blue Crochet Scarfvideocam"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Cute And Easy Pumpkin Pattern
- Crinkle Pumpkin Ami
- Toe-tally Easy Crochet Socks
- Luxe Boho Christmas Stocking
- Tunisian Pyramid Lace Stitch Tutorial
- Tunisian Poppy Flower Applique
- Through The Window Beanie
- Dishcloth Diary
- Printable Mad Libs for Crocheters
- Baby Ganesha
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters