8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns, Volume II
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
You have hats, boots, and a warm jacket for winter, but what about Fido? If your four-legged friend needs a sweater, whether for style or warmth or both, then the La-di-da Dog Sweater is for him! This crochet dog sweater pattern is available in three sizes and will be a colorful addition to your pooch's wardrobe. This crochet pattern is at the intermediate level and is best suited to experienced crocheters. You'll love how chic and stylish your dog looks, and your dog will appreciate staying warm while out for a walk this winter.
NOTES: Directions are for size Small. Changes for sizes Medium and Large are in parentheses.
1. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color or carry along wrong side until next needed to minimize weaving in ends.
2. Beginning at end of Row 3 of Body, change to next color in color sequence at the end of every other row.
Color Sequence: 2 rows with A, 2 rows with B, 2 rows
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 sts = 4" (10 cm); 16 rows = 4" (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge
Finished SizeFinished Length: 12½ (13½, 14½)" [32 (34.5, 37) cm]; Finished Chest: 14½ (19½, 24¼)" [37 (49.5, 61.5) cm]
- RED HEART With Love: 1 skein each 1401 Pewter A, 1704 Bubblegum B, and 1502 Iced Aqua
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
After you're finished making a sweater for Fido or Fluffy, grab your crochet hooks and get started on sweaters for everyone in your family! You'll find plenty of inspiration when you take a look at the collection page
Lsc (long single crochet) = Insert hook in bottom of indicated st 1 row below, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on hook. Skip stitch behind long single crochet
reverse sc (reverse single crochet) = Work single crochet in opposite direction from which you would usually work (left to right if you are righthanded and right to left if you are lefthanded). This stitch is also known as crab stitch. It creates a rope-like twisted single crochet edging.
sc2tog = [Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Row 1 (wrong side): Ch 1, sc in first sc, *Lsc in next sc 1 row below, sc in next sc; repeat from * across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each st across; change to next color in color sequence in last st, turn
With A, ch 6.
Row 1 (right side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn—5 sts
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in back lp of each sc across, turn.
Repeat last row 27 (37, 47) times; change to B in last sc of last row.
Row 1 (Right Side): Working in end of rows, ch 1, sc in each row across, turn— 29 (39, 49) sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, work 1 (2, 1) sc in first sc, *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * across—43 (59, 73) sc.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; change to B, turn.
Rows 4 and 5: Work Rows 1 and 2 of pattern st.
Divide for Leg Openings
Row 1 (wrong side): Work Row 1 of pattern st in first 5 (7, 9) sts; leave remaining sts unworked, turn—5 (7, 9) sts.
Rows 2–10 (14, 18): Work even in pattern st. Fasten off.
Row 1 (wrong side): With wrong side facing, skip next 3 (5, 7) sts of Row 5 of Body, join same color as Row 1 of Right Underbody with slip st in next st, beginning in same st as join, work Row 1 of pattern st in first 27 (35, 41) sts; leave remaining sts unworked, turn—27 (35, 41) sts.
Rows 2–10 (14, 18): Work even in pattern st.
Row 1 (wrong side): With wrong side facing, skip next 3 (5, 7) sts of Row 5 of Body, join same color as Row 1 of Right Underbody with slip st in next st, beginning in same st as join, work Row 1 of pattern st in last 5 (7, 9) sts, turn—5 (7, 9) sts.
Rows 2–10 (14, 18): Work even in pattern st.
Do not fasten off.
Row 11 (15, 19): Ch 1, *sc in first sc, [Lsc in next sc 1 row below, sc in next sc] 2 (3, 4) times*, ch 3 (5, 7), sc in next sc, [Lsc in next sc 1 row below, sc in next sc] 13 (17, 20) times, ch 3 (5, 7), repeat from * to * once, turn—37 (49, 59) sts and 6 (10, 14) ch.
Row 12 (16, 20): Ch 1, sc in each st and ch across, turn—43 (59, 73) sts.
Row 13 (17, 21): Work Row 1 of pattern st.
Row 14 (18, 22): Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in each st across to last 2 sts, sc2tog, turn—41 (57, 71) sts.
Rows 15–39 (19–43, 23–47): Repeat last 2 rows 12 times, then repeat last row once—15 (31, 45) sts.
Leg Opening (work twice)
Round 1 (right side): With right side facing, sc join A in any st at leg opening, sc evenly around; join with slip st in first sc.
Round 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *sc2tog, sc in next st; repeat from * around, adjusting at end of round as needed; join with slip st in first sc.
Round 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around; join with slip st in first sc.
Rounds 4 and 5: Repeat Rounds 2 and 3.
Round 6: Ch 1, reverse sc in each st around; join with slip st in first sc.
With ends of rows held together, sew seam from Neckband to Row 14 (18, 22) of Back.
Round 1 (right side): With right side of Back facing, sc join C (B, A) in seam, working in ends of rows and across last row, sc evenly around working 3 sc in each corner; join with slip st in first sc.
Round 2: Ch 1, reverse sc in each st around; join with slip st in first sc.
eave in ends.
Click the image to enlarge, or click here for a bigger version.
- A, B, C
- Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.
- single crochet
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
Now that you're set with making a new accessory for your pooch, you can get started on a new shawl that's just for you! This free eBook has numerous crochet patterns that you'll want to make. Find your next new favorite shawl through 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Superwash Merino Silk Yarn
- 5 Free Christmas Crochet Patterns: Christmas Wreaths
- 4 Tips for Planning a Season's Closet of Handmade Accessories
- 3 Ways to Tie a Rectangular Scarf
- Knit-Like Crochet Sweater
- Winter’s Cerise Crochet Slouch
- Colourful Flowers Baby Blanket
- Button Up Toddler Hat & Scarf Set
- Easy Crochet Leaves
- Andi Bun Hat
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet