31 Basic Crochet Stitches
By: The Editors at AllFreeCrochet
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
There's always something new to learn in crochet! If you've been wondering how to do a certain stitch, then you've come to the right place. You'll be able to expand your skills and learn a new crochet stitch with our collection of 31 Basic Crochet Stitches. These tutorials by Emilda Harrington will teach you everything you need to know about crochet. Each crochet stitch tutorial has helpful photos and step-by-step instructions to ensure you don't miss a stitch. Each one of these crochet stitch tutorials can also be found in our amazing eBook, Your Guide to Free Crochet Patterns. Once you've mastered any one of these new crochet stitch tutorials, find a new crochet pattern to make and put your skills to the test!
With this popular free book 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn to Crochet Something New with Free Crochet Patterns, you can learn to crochet in new and exciting ways, simply by switching up your stitch.
31 Basic Crochet Stitches Table of Contents
If you've been bitten by the craft bug and want to learn how to crochet, there are a few simple techniques and tricks you need to learn, such as a slip knot and single crochet stitches, for starters. Once you've gotten the hang of these most basic of basic crochet stitches, you can start moving on to some other fun stitches. These simple steps are what you need to follow to learn how to crochet, but once you've mastered them, everything else is just a variation on these. Listed below is a quick and easy step-by-step tutorial for all of the basic crochet techniques and crochet stitches. Follow the steps below and learn how to work a slip knot to get your work started, then move on to our foundation chain tutorial. Then, depending on your pattern, you can follow our guide to crocheting a single crochet, a double crochet stitch or even a treble (or triple) crochet stitch. Plus, we have a video tutorial for the single, double and treble crochet stitches that you can follow along if our written step-by-step guide isn't helpful.
How to Crochet a Slip Knot
- Hold the yarn in a U-shape, leaving 6-8" of yarn (your "tail") hanging from the end.
- Twist your fingers to create a loop, making the yarn strands cross each other.
- Insert your fingers into the loop and grab the yarn that leads back to your ball of yarn (not your tail), creating another little loop
- Pull the tail the tighten the knot - you should now have a cinched knot with a loop coming out of one end, and two strands of yarn (one of which is your tail) coming out from the other.
- Slip the loop onto your crochet hook and pull both ends of the yarn to make the loop tighter.
Working a Foundation Chain
- Make a slip knot and place it on your hook. Hold your hook in your right hand.
- Using your hook, pull yarn (from the skein of yarn, not your tail) through your slip knot loop. You've just made one chain stitch.
- Repeat step 2 to make as many chains as your pattern calls for.
Single Crochet Stitch + Video Tutorial
- Insert your hook into center of your next working chain. Grab yarn (known as a yarn over) and draw through the chain stitch and up onto the hook so that you have two loops on your hook.
- Using your hook, grab yarn and draw it through both loops on your hook, leaving just one loop on your hook. You've made one single crochet stitch.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 as many times as your pattern calls for.
Double Crochet Stitch + Video Tutorial
- Yarn over, then insert your crochet hook into the center of your next working chain. Yarn over and draw through the chain stitch and up onto the hook so that you have three loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through two of the loops on your hook, leaving two loops on your hook.
- Yarn over again and pull through both loops on your hook, leaving just one loop. You've just made one double crochet stitch.
- Repeat steps 1-3 as many times as your pattern calls for.
Triple/Treble Crochet Stitch + Video Tutorial
- Yarn over twice and then insert your hook into the center of your next working chain. Yarn over and draw up a loop so that you have four loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through two of the loops on your hook, leaving three loops on your crochet hook.
- Yarn over again and pull the yarn through two loops, leaving two loops on your hook.
- Yarn over for the last time and pull the yarn through both loops on your hook so that you only have one loop. You've just made one triple/treble crochet stitch.
- Repeat steps 1-4 as many times as your pattern calls for.
Our free eBook, 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn to Crochet Something New with Free Crochet Patterns, is a great resource for the beginner crocheter that's looking to expand their skills. Inside, you'll find a handful of crochet stitch tutorials to learn. Once you've mastered the basic single and double crochet stitches, the fun has only just begun! There are so many wonderful and interesting crochet stitches that will enable you to make the coolest patterns. Learning a new stitch in crochet is always such a fun experience. Crafting and crochet are both constant on-going processes; there's always something new to learn! Pick up your hook and get to work on any one of these crochet stitches today. If you're unsure of what hook size to use or if you're wondering what you can make with a certain hook size then you might be interested in browsing patterns by hooks size.
- Crocheting a Picot Stitch
- Crocheting the Seed Stitch
- How to Crochet in the Round
- How to Crochet a Basketweave Stitch
- How to Crochet a Cable Stitch
- How to Crochet a Checkerboard Stitch
- How to Crochet a Crazy Shell Stitch
- How to Crochet a Popcorn Stitch + a video tutorial!
- How to Crochet a Treble Stitch
- How to Crochet the Magic Circle - UPDATED + Video Tutorial
- Reverse Single Crochet Stitch - Crab Stitch
- Tunisian Crochet Stitch
- Chinese Puzzle Stitch
Once you can handle the more simple crochet stitches from above, check out this next batch of crochet stitch tutorials. These step by step tutorials show you how to work up some more complex stitches and patterns to produce some simply stunning designs.
- How to Cross Double Crochet Stitches
- Pretty Pebble Stitch
- Learn How to Wattle Stitch
- Trendy Trinity Stitch
- Corner to Corner Shell Stitch
- Bumpy Textured Granule Stitch
- Four Point Star Stitch
- Crochet Tread Stitch
- Third Dimension Crochet Stitch
- Lacy Shell Popcorn Stitch Pattern
- Learn to Crochet the Ripple Stitch
- Larksfoot Crochet Stitch
- How to Single Weave and Link Stitch
- Open Fan Stitch
- Catherine Wheel Stitch Tutorial
- Crochet Crocodile Stitch Tutorial
- How to Crochet the Cluster Stitch - NEW
- How to Crochet the Spike Stitch - NEW - Video Tutorial!
After using all of the above crochet stitches in your work, finish off your pattern with some fun and gorgeous crochet edgings! These crochet edgings range from simple and standard to lacier and more complex, and all are a great way to add that final finishing touch to your work.
Now that you've gotten a sneak peak of the crochet stitch tutorials inside Your Guide to Free Crochet Patterns, download this free eBook today to discover the free crochet patterns that are included. You'll find crochet afghan patterns, shawl and poncho patterns, and even adorable amigurumi patterns. See how many you can do now that you've learned some new crochet skills!
You might also like these videos on how to crochet a front post double crochet stitch and how to crochet the Tunisian stitch:
What's your favorite stitch and why? Please comment below!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 31 Basic Crochet Stitches
- How to Crochet the Magic Circle + 13 Magical Patterns
- How to Read Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet Borders and Edging
- How to Crochet, Volume 1: Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch + 26 Easy Patterns
- How to Crochet the Crocodile Stitch: Crocodile Stitch Patterns
- Pretty Pebble Stitch
- Guide to Free Crochet Patterns
- Choosing the Best Crochet Hook Sizes
- 13 Free Baby Crochet Patterns: Crochet Baby Hats, Crochet Booties & More
- 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
- 22 Popular Free Crochet Patterns
- 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns
- Guide To Free Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet a Blanket for Infants & Toddlers: 11 Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How to Crochet, Volume 1: Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
- How to Make Crochet Bags: 11 Fantastic DIY Bags
- Pretty Flowers to Crochet: Brightly Colored Crochet Flower Patterns
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns