How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch + 26 Easy Patterns
By: Jeanette Benoit, Editor, allfreecrochet.com
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Once you've learned the basic crochet stitches, perhaps you find yourself wanting to expand your skills and learn something new. If so, then why not learn how to crochet the Tunisian stitch? Also known as "afghan crochet," Tunisian crochet is a needlework technique that combines elements of both knitting and crocheting. A special hook (called an afghan hook) is needed to complete this method of crochet.
To learn how to do Tunisian crochet, check out our free crochet tutorials below. Once you think you're ready to test out your skills, scroll down for free Tunisian crochet designs to try. You'll find crochet afghan patterns, as well as other miscellaneous crochet patterns including clutches, ties, cowls, and more.
How to Crochet the Tunisian Crochet Stitch + 26 Easy Patterns
Free Tutorials: How Do I Crochet the Tunisian Stitch?
Tunisian Crochet: Easy Crochet Patterns
Intermediate Tunisian Crochet Patterns
Tunisian Crochet Afghan Patterns
Expand your crochet skills to include the Tunisian crochet stitch. Learning a new technique is super easy when you have easy-to-follow free tutorials like these. You can learn not only how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, but also how to change colors in Tunisian crochet, how to do Tunisian double crochet, and more. If you are a visual learner, sometimes it helps to watch someone go through the process for you, which is why we've included so many video tutorials for you to choose from. You can even test these skills out on the bonus crochet pattern for beginners before venturing on to the other easy patterns!
How to Crochet the Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss): One row of Tunisian simple stitch is worked in two steps and using the front post of your work as follows, with yarn behind your work:
- Forward Pass (Step 1): Skip the first vertical bar; *insert hook under next vertical bar, yarn over and draw up a loop; repeat from * across.
- Return Pass (Step 2): Yarn over and draw through one loop on your hook; *yarn over and draw through 2 loops on your hook; repeat from * until only one loop remains on hook (one row of Tss complete).
How to Crochet the Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks): One row of Tunisian knit stitch is worked quite similarly to the Tss, except that you use the space under the vertical bar, or the space where you would normally insert your hook for a standard crochet stitch. The reverse pass is the same.
- Tunisian Crochet Stitch
- How to Create a Tunisian Simple Stitch
- How to Create Tunisian Crochet, The Base Row
- How to Change Colors in Tunisian Crochet
- How to Single Crochet Bind Off in Tunisian Crochet
- How to Tunisian Double Crochet
- Tunisian Crochet Flower Dishcloth - Bonus beginner pattern pictured!
Go back to the basics with our collection of 22 Basic Crochet Stitches!
Now that you've learned how to crochet the Tunisian crochet stitch, you're now ready to practice! Find our favorite Tunisian crochet patterns below, from crochet bag patterns to the best accessories. These easy patterns are just what you need to put your skills to the test.
- Afghan Stitch Bookmark
- Tunisian Stitch Cell Phone Bag
- Tunisian Cable Clutch
- Tunisian Ribbed Cowl
- Tunisian Crochet Belt
- Patriotic Tunisian Crochet Placemats
- Basketweave Mini Messenger Bag
- Five Point Pinwheel Motif - NEW
- Mitered Square Crochet Pillow - NEW
- Rainbow Child's Purse - NEW and pictured
- Reversible Tunisian Crochet Boot Cuff - NEW
- Quick Tunisian Crochet Cowl - NEW
- Tunisian Christmas Stocking - NEW and Beginner-friendly!
Once you've worked up a few easy crochet Tunisian patterns, try out some of these intermediate-level crochet patterns. These crochet patterns are a little more difficulty than the above group, but simply use what you've learned and practiced and you'll work these up super quickly.
- Tunisian Striped Tie
- Tunisian Crochet Crescent Bag
- Top of the Tunisian Crochet Infinity Scarf - NEW
- Practice Makes Perfect Tunisian Potholder - NEW
- Tunisian Style Pillow Cover - NEW
- Tunisian Drop Stitch Scarf - NEW
- Pretty Pebbles Dishcloth - NEW
- Tunisian Stitch Crochet Sweater - NEW
If you think the patterns above were easy, then you're probably ready to tackle one of these crochet afghan patterns. Each one of these free crochet designs are created using the Tunisian crochet stitch. They're just what you need to give any room of your home an updated look.
- Granny Square Tunisian Throw
- Tunisian Entrelac Throw
- Tunisian Seascape Throw - pictured!
- Rainbow Tunisian Crochet Baby Blanket - NEW
- Honestly Easy Tunisian Crochet Afghan Pattern - NEW
What do you look for in crochet pattern—stitch variety, dynamic color schemes, or difficulty level?
Images from other crochet readers
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 31 Basic Crochet Stitches
- Reverse Single Crochet Stitch Crab Stitch
- How to Read Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet the Magic Circle + 13 Magical Patterns
- How to Crochet Borders and Edging
- How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch + 26 Easy Patterns
- How to Crochet: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide of Tutorials and Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- How to Crochet the Crocodile Stitch: Crocodile Stitch Patterns
- Choosing the Best Crochet Hook Sizes
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Crochet Notions Bag Review
- Red Heart Crochet Along Week 1 Video
- 51 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns
- Colors of the Rainbow Fingerless Gloves
- Zigzag Earflap Crochet Hat
- Cosmic Flapper Crochet Hat
- 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
- 13 Free Baby Crochet Patterns: Crochet Baby Hats, Crochet Booties & More
- Men's Simple Crochet Hat
- Classically Cute Crochet Beanie