How to Crochet the Crocodile Stitch: Crocodile Stitch Patterns
By: Christine Weiher, Editor, AllFreeCrochet.com
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Learning how to crochet the crocodile stitch has been a hot commodity lately. This crochet stitch is not only beautiful but it can turn your entire project into an art piece, and if you aren't sure how to work it up, check out this crochet crocodile stitch tutorial. The layered effect almost brings your project to life no matter what you're working up. You can either use the regular crocodile stitch or you can learn how to crochet the vertical crocodile stitch. Follow the step by step crochet instructions provided in this tutorial.
Crocodile stitch crochet patterns are great to add a bit of flare to your project. This look is modern, yet chic and can give the look of sophistication. Any crocodile stitch pattern will give your crochet design just the right amount of texture and will fancy up any crochet crocodile stitch bag or simple scarf.
How to Work the Crocodile Stitch
To start your project, begin with a slip knot, as with all crochet projects, and then chain multiples of 5, plus 1. The number of chains is determined by the type of project you're making. One thing to keep in mind before you begin is that the crocodile crochet stitch is not worked on the top layer but on the posts, the foundation of your project. Remember that jumping stitches can be difficult so if you're just learning how to crochet this stitch, it might be best to go slow.
- Ch multiples of 5 + 1.
- Turn and, working into the back loops, dc in 2nd ch from hook. Ch 1, *sk 2 ch, 2 dc into next st*. Rep from * to * across row.
- Turn, sc at base of ch. Working around back of first post (not both of the posts, just the first one), 5 dc around the same post. Your stitches will stack on top of each other.
- Rotate your work to go back up the other side and to finish your scale - working around the same singular post, fp stitch from the bottom of the stitch up to the top and work in 5 dc. One scale complete.
- Sc into the top of the second post (right next to the one you've been working on) to hold everything you just did in place, and then continue working across the row.
- Once you complete your row of scales, you need to set up another foundation row before you begin your next set of scales: ch 1 at the end of your scale row, turn, sc into the base of the ch. Sc into the middle of the scale, 2 dc into the top ch in between scales. Continue across row.
- When you reach the end of the row, ch 1, turn and work across, making scales.
With this popular free book 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn to Crochet Something New with Free Crochet Patterns, you can learn to crochet in new and exciting ways, simply by switching up your stitch.
If you're stuck on how to work this amazing stitch, watch and learn the video tutorial below on how to crochet the crocodile stitch, from our own AllFreeCrochet studio. Once you've watched, continue reading for some stunning crocodile patterns. Plus, scroll down for another video tutorial on how to crochet the crocodile stitch from our friend Michael Sellick.
Top Crocodile Stitch Patterns
- Twisted Crocodile Keyhole Scarf - Warm Alpaca yarn was used to work up this scarf pattern. This is a great scarf to sport during the winter season.
- Crocodile Bracelet
- Rainbow Dragon Bag NEW!
- Crocodile Crochet Baby Blanket
- Crocodile Purse - This is a fabulous fashion piece you can carry with you for just about any occasion.
- Crocodile Adult Hat
- Colorful Rio Scarf - Flaunt this scarf around town as its vibrant colors are sure to get you looks of envy.
- Crocodile Flip Flops
- Two-Hour Stitch Flower
- Crocodile on the Beach Bag - Everyone needs a beach bag when going to the beach. Three to four beach towels can fit.
- Favorite Textured Slouch Hat
- Crocodile Clutch Purse - A purse like this is super cute to use during the spring as the colors are nice and bright.
- Scale and Shell Bag NEW!
- Crocodile Crochet Cowl NEW!
- Crocodile Crochet Afghan - Get ready for the warmest crochet afghan ever! NEW!
- Crocodile Crochet Flower NEW!
- Adorable Baby Booties NEW!
- Mermaid's Favorite Crochet Tote NEW!
Free Crochet Video Tutorial: How to Crochet the Crocodile Stitch from Michael Sellick of the Crochet Crowd
The crocodile stitch can be worked and started a number of slightly different ways. Michael recommends keeping everything in groups of six (six chains at a time).
Tips for Learning New Stitches
New crochet stitches are so fun to learn, but what's the best way to do it? Watching crochet video tutorials is a great way to learn and practice a new stitch, but remember that everyone out there has their own way of working up a crochet stitch. If you're following along and still find yourself confused by what you're watching, feel free to seek out another crochet method or step-by-step photos. What works for one person might not work for you, or you might come across a much easier way of working a crochet stitch that's a combination of different methods. Just don't give up! Certain stitches, like the crocodile stitch here, might seem way more confusing, but just keep practicing and check out multiple tutorials if you need to.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 31 Basic Crochet Stitches
- How to Crochet the Magic Circle + 13 Magical Patterns
- How to Read Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch + 26 Easy Patterns
- How to Crochet Borders and Edging
- How to Crochet: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide of Tutorials and Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Choosing the Best Crochet Hook Sizes
- How to Crochet the Crocodile Stitch: Crocodile Stitch Patterns
- Pretty Pebble Stitch
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Men's Simple Crochet Hat
- Classically Cute Crochet Beanie
- Classic Men's Crochet Scarf
- Beginner's Favorite Poncho
- Ridiculously Easy Poncho Pattern
- Stupendous Stashbuster Poncho
- Little Berry Crochet Hat
- Ruby Red Fingerless Mittens
- My Sweetheart Crochet Scarf
- Easy Peasy One Skein Hat