FREE! Crochet Patterns delivered to your inbox every Friday from LeisureArts.com. Join thousands of other crocheters who have already signed up. Subscribe today!
Thanks for signing up!
Easy V-Stitch Cocoon Shrug
By: Lion Brand Yarn
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Don't look any further for an easy crochet pattern; this Easy V-Stitch Cocoon Shrug is a fabulous pattern you'll want to make right now! It's made using the v-stitch in a Lion Brand Homespun Grape color. The ruffle edging really adds a nice feminine touch to the crochet design. Because it's an open shrug, it fits almost all sizes; it's great for the expectant mom! This free crochet pattern is great to wear any time of the year.
Crochet Hook: P/16 or 16 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Finished Width About 26 in. (66 cm)
Finished Length About 26 in. (66 cm)
- Homespun Yarn: Grape 2 balls
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size P-15 (10 mm)
- Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
8 dc + 4 1/2 rows = 5 in. (12.5 cm) in V-st pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
V-st: Work 2 dc in indicated st or sp.
1. Shrug is crocheted in one piece, from neck edge to waist edge. Piece is then folded, and armhole seams are sewn.
2. Ruffle is crocheted directly onto Shrug.
Row 1: 2 dc in 5th ch from hook (V-st made), *sk next ch, V-st in next ch; rep from * across to last 2 ch, sk next ch, dc in last ch - 20 V-sts at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 3, turn, dc in sp before first V-st (beg V-st made), *V-st in sp between next 2 V-sts; rep from * across to last V-st, dc in sp between last V-st and turning ch, dc in top of turning ch (end V-st made) - at the end of this row you will have 19 V-sts, plus beg and end V-sts.
Row 3: Ch 3, turn, *V-st in sp between next 2 V-sts across; rep from * across, dc in top of turning ch - 20 V-sts at the end of this row.
Rows 4-23: Rep Rows 2 and 3. Fasten off.
Fold Shrug in half, bringing first row (neck edge) and last row (waist edge) together. Beg in corner where first and last row meet, sew 6 rows together across each short end for armhole seams.
From RS, join yarn with sl st at armhole seam, ready to work across opposite side of foundation ch.
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 2 dc in seam and in each ch of opposite side of foundation ch, 2 dc in next armhole seam and in next 6 dc of last row of Shrug, *2 tr in next st, 3 tr in next st; rep from * across to last 6 dc of last row, 2 dc in remaining 6 dc; join with sl st in top of beg ch.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in each dc to first tr, 2 dc in next 6 tr, 2 tr in each tr to last 6 tr, 2 dc in last 6 tr, 2 dc in each dc to end, dc in st at base of beg ch-3; join with sl st in top of beg ch. Fasten off.
From RS, join yarn with sl st in armhole edge near seam.
Rnd 1: Work 2 sc in end of each row around, sk over seam; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sk first sc, sc in each sc around; join with sl st in first sc.
Rnd 3: Rep Rnd 2.
Weave in ends.
Check out Lion Brand Yarn's company profile and other great patterns!
You can also find this crochet design in Christmas Gifts for Her: Crochet Gifts for Mom.
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 16 Easy Summer Crochet Patterns
- 22 Popular Free Crochet Patterns
- 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- 9 Free 4th of July Crochet Patterns
- DIY Accessories to Crochet: DIY Jewelry And Crochet Belts
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- How to Crochet, Volume 1: Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
- How to Make Crochet Bags: 11 Fantastic DIY Bags
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- No-Calorie Ice Cream Cone
- Hippie Holidays Vest
- Victorian Christmas Placemat
- Olaf the Snowman Crochet Pattern
- Victorian Christmas Coaster
- Frankenstein Child Headband
- Magical Tooth Fairy Pillow
- Poinsettia Christmas Coasters
- Christmas Crochet Angel
- Season of Giving Headband