American Flag Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Nothing says "I Love America" more than the red, white, and blue American flag. Now you can wrap yourself up in pride with this American Flag Afghan by Lion Brand Yarns. This ripple crocheted afghan is an intermediate crochet pattern to complete using Heartland yarn. Bring this crochet afghan with you to the 4th of July fireworks, or curl up on the couch with this red, white, and blue afghan as you watch the Olympics.
Crochet Hook: J/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- 136-113 Heartland Yarn: Redwood (A): 3 skeins
- 136-098 Heartland Yarn: Acadia (B): 2 skeins
- 136-109 Heartland Yarn: Olympic (C): 1 skein
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size J-10 (6 mm)
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
One Size, About 35 x 52 in. (89 x 132 cm)
1 ripple = about 4 in. (10 cm) wide.
12 sts + 6 1/2 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm) in ripple pattern.
1 Star = about 3 in. (7.5 cm) wide.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
dc3tog (dc 3 sts together) (Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yarn over, draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook – 2 sts decreased.
- The ripple in this design is created by working dc3tog to form 'valleys' and 3 dc all in one st to form 'peaks'. In each row, take care to work dc3tog over the 3 sts in each 'valley' and 3 dc in the center dc of each 'peak.' You may wish to use stitch markers to mark each peak.
- The ripple pattern may not be evident until you have work multiple rows.
- To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete the st.
- The blue field for Stars is worked in intarsia. The Stars are made separately and then sewed to Afghan.
- Unfortunately there's an issue with the way the afghan was shot – there are more stripes than shown in the image. The pattern ratings show some people’s versions of the afghan, and you can see a better picture here.
With A, ch 160.
Row 1 (RS): Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as first dc), *dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch; rep from * 11 more times, dc in next 4 ch, dc3tog, dc in next 4 ch, 2 dc in last ch - 13 ripples at the end of this row.
Rows 2-8: Ch 3 (counts as first dc in this row and in all following rows), turn, dc in first dc, *dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc; rep from * 11 more times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Change to B. Fasten off A.
Rows 9-16: With B, rep Row 2 eight times. Change to A. Fasten off B.
Rows 17-24: With A, rep Row 2 eight times. Change to B. Fasten off A.
Rows 25-32: With B, rep Row 2 eight times. Change to A. Fasten off B.
Field for Stars
Note: One half of each row is worked with A and one half is worked with C. When changing color, drop, but do not fasten off the old color.
Row 33 (RS): With A, ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 6 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, dc in next dc and change to C; with C, 2 dc in same dc as last st (this completes a 3-dc peak), (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 5 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Row 34: With C, ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 5 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc and change to A; with A, dc in same dc as last st (this completes a 3-dc peak), (dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc) 6 times, dc in next 4 dc, dc3tog, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in top of turning ch.
Rows 35-40: Rep Rows 33 and 34 three times. Change to B. Fasten off A. Do not fasten off C.
Rows 41-48: Using B in place of A, rep Rows 33-40. Change to A. Fasten off B. Do not fasten off C.
Rows 49-56:With A and C, rep Rows 33-40. Fasten off A and C.
STARS (make 11)
With B, ch 5; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, (2 sc in ring, ch 1) 5 times; join with sl st in first sc - 10 sc and 5 ch-1 sps at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 2:*Ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch, sl st in next ch-1 sp of Rnd 1; rep from * 4 more times. Fasten off.
Arrange Stars on field as follows:
Top Row: 4 Stars evenly spaced with top of Stars about 2 in. (5 cm) below top edge of Afghan.
Lower Row: 4 Stars evenly spaced with bottom of Stars about 2 in. (5 cm) from lower edge of Blue Field, and lined up with Stars of Top Row.
Middle Row: 3 Stars evenly spaced and staggered between Stars of Top and Lower Rows.
Sew Stars in place.
Weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Hop Into 7 Free Easter Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet a Blanket for Infants & Toddlers: 11 Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Man Crafts: 10 Free Patterns to Crochet for Men
- Never Ending Granny Afghans: 8 Crochet Patterns with Diagrams & Video Tutorials
- Pretty Flowers to Crochet: Brightly Colored Crochet Flower Patterns
- Spring is Here! 10 Free Crochet Flower Patterns and Butterfly Fun
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Retro Summer Rug
- Minnie Mouse Inspired Baby Booties
- Field Mouse Crochet Baby Booties
- Mickey Mouse Inspired Baby Booties
- Magic Toadstool Crochet Finger Puppets
- Sweetest Strawberry Baby Booties
- Mile a Minute Rainbow Crochet Afghan
- Crochet Flower Applique
- Crochet Buttoned Throw Pillow
- Men's Crochet Beanie