85+ Crochet Video Tutorials for Beginners
Learn crochet with our helpful crochet videos that walk you through each step.
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Video Tutorials for the Visual Learner
So you want to learn to crochet but have no idea where to start? Fear not, you've come to the right place! We at AllFreeCrochet spend a lot of time in our craft studio filming tutorials and videos to help you learn how to crochet.
This page has a whopping 85+ Crochet Video Tutorials for Beginners! From beginner stitch videos to project tutorials, there's a crochet video tutorial here that's sure to help you out.
With over 85 video tutorials here and even some general tips and information here, like what yarn to use for dishcloth patterns or how to choose colors and weaving in ends, you're sure to find something helpful.
To get started, begin with our FAQ section. Then, scroll down to the next section below, which includes the basics like chain stitch and the single crochet stitch... and then keep clicking down the list to build your skill repertoire!
Table of Contents
FAQs: Crochet Help for Beginners
What's the easiest way to learn to crochet?
This varies depending on who you're talking to. Some people need to be shown by someone in person and then be able to ask questions as they go while others can sit in front of a Youtube video (like the AllFreeCrochet channel) and learn at their own speed, pausing and repeating certain bits when necessary.
If you're a video tutorial kind of person, this comprehensive collection page is perfect for you. You'll find these tutorials broken down into easy and basic crochet stitches, ones you can find being used for most patterns, and some slightly more complicated stitches that aren't as common but still look really gorgeous.
You'll find a section on specific techniques, like weaving in ends or how to change colors as you crochet, and there's a section for crochet borders and edgings that you can add to your finished projects to give them a little something special.
Finally, we have a Crochet Stitch Directory that will help you learn the stitches. There's also a section of full-project tutorials near the bottom of this page, where we walk you through each of the steps needed to make a certain baby bootie or hat project.
What is the best yarn to learn to crochet with?
Medium-weight (or worsted weight yarn) is probably the best yarn to learn to crochet with.
Any smaller and you'll be dealing with smaller crochet hooks and much more intricate stitches and any larger and you might be overwhelmed by the sheer size.
Worsted weight yarn is the most common and most popular weight yarn, and you can find any type of project for the yarn weight. Check out Types of Yarn + Yarn Weights Explained for everything you need to know.
What do I need to buy to crochet?
To learn to crochet, you need to buy a skein of yarn (as mentioned above, stick with worsted weight for starters, so you can practice), and a crochet hook. On every yarn label, you'll see a suggested hook size, so make sure you get something that matches.
If you need help with hook sizes, see our page on Choosing the Right Hook Size for more information.
Learn more about getting started with crochet by reading through our beginner guide here: How to Start Crocheting
Ultimate Beginner Crochet Stitch Videos
First, learn how to crochet a slip knot and chain stitch with the video right below, then move onto the rest of these tutorials in order to learn crochet.
You'll want to start with single crochet, then double crochet. Half double crochet or triple (also known as treble) is usually the next two you'll learn.
After that, you should have enough confidence to choose one of the stitch patterns that uses what you already know, like the v-stitch, which uses mostly double crochet.
- How to Single Crochet (Video Tutorial)
- How to Double Crochet (Video Tutorial)
- How to Half Double Crochet (Video Tutorial)
- How to Triple Crochet (Video Tutorial)
- How to Crochet the V-Stitch (Video Tutorial)
- How to Crochet the Popcorn Stitch (Video Tutorial)
- How to Crochet a Bobble Stitch (Left-Handed)
- How to Crochet a Puff Stitch (Left-Handed)
- Front Post and Back Post Double Crochet Stitch
- How to Crochet a Picot Stitch (Left-Handed)
Pro Tip: The foundation for any crochet project, from scarves and hats to blankets and sweaters, is a good grasp on your crochet stitches. There are so many different types of stitches out there, and they range from quick and simple to more involved and decorative, but the basics are all the same.
Ultimately, you're still just inserting your hook through the top of a stitch, yarning over and grabbing some yarn, and pulling your hook through other loops - the difference is in the number of times you do each thing.
Popular and Basic Crochet Stitches Videos
These crochet stitches are a little more involved than the ones above but are also still on the basic level and popular amongst crocheters. So, at the end of the day, they aren't necessarily any more difficult than the basic ones above. With some practice and care, you can master any of these!
For example, learn how to crochet the granny ripple stitch with our stepped-out tutorial. Click on the video right below and see for yourself.
Then scroll down for some more. Many of these are made using the basic stitches you've learned before, so none of these should be too tricky. Add some pizzazz to your projects with these more advanced crochet stitches!
- Cable Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Easy Star Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Crocodile Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- How to Crochet the Honeycomb Stitch
- How to Crochet the Vintage Shell Stitch
- How to Crochet the Spike Stitch
- 2 Double Crochet Cluster Stitch
- How to Crochet Ribbing
- Half Double Herringbone Crochet Stitch (Left-Handed)
- Double Herringbone Crochet Stitch (Left-Handed)
- How to Crochet the Primrose Stitch (Left-Handed)
- How to Tunisian Crochet + 28 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet Jacob's Ladder Stitch
- How to Crochet a Drop Stitch (Left-Handed)
- Crochet Increase Tutorial
- Crochet Decrease Tutorial
- How to Crochet the X Stitch
- Crochet Moss Stitch Tutorial
- Crochet Bean Stitch
- Crochet Waffle Stitch
Find even more beginner and easy stitches with our popular guide full of videos and tutorials you'll appreciate. Find it here: 20+ Basic Crochet Stitches
Crochet Technique Video Tutorials
Besides knowing your crochet stitches, you'll need to know some other fundamentals. Unless you're fine with making projects in all one color, you'll want to know how to change colors as you crochet and how to join yarn.
One of our favorite techniques is filet crochet. Learn how to filet crochet by watching the video right below.
For hats, you might want to make sure you know how to work in the round or how to start with a magic circle. We even have some basic video tutorials on choosing the best crochet hook for your work and using stitch markers to track your progress.
- How to Choose Crochet Hooks and Crochet Hook Sizes
- How to Use Stitch Markers (for Crochet)
- How to Crochet a Basic "Granny" Square
- How to Crochet a Solid Granny Square
- Granny Square Crochet Blanket
- How to Assemble Your Granny Squares
- Corner to Corner Crochet Stitch
- How to Change Colors in Crochet Video Tutorial
- Magic Circle Crochet Tutorial
- How to Crochet in the Round from the Center Out
- How to Join Yarn with No Weaving
- How to Add Embellishments to a Crochet Project Using a Button
- Changing Colors in Crochet: Middle of a Row
- How to Change Colors at the End of a Row
- How to Turn a Scarf Into an Infinity Scarf
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Tutorial
Crochet Videos for Edging and Borders
Once you're done with a project, it's nice to add an edging to your work to set it off. Sometimes you can get away with something basic, but what if you want to add some more advanced edging or border?
These crochet edging videos, like our Pointed Scallop Edging that shown in the video directly below, will show you how to work some fancy borders that would look great around a baby blanket or even along the bottom ends of a scarf or a sweater!
Take a look at these lovely borders and see how easy it is to finish off your crochet pieces with a pretty design.
Exclusive Full Project Crochet Videos
Now that you've learned about some crochet stitches, fun techniques and tips and how to crochet stylish borders and edgings, you're ready to go off and crochet your own projects!
The video right below shows you how to Crochet an Oversized Shawl that is perfect for charity. Click play to watch.
With all of your knowledge gleaned from these videos, you should be able to follow along with any crochet pattern out there. If you still prefer following along with videos, we have a few super popular projects available as video tutorials, just for you!
Make a crochet baby cocoon or a chunky baby blanket, work up a messy bun hat or a sweet beanie with a flower, or various crochet accessories, scarves, blankets and appliques!
- How to Crochet a Shell Stitch Scarf Left-Handed Tutorial
- Beginner's Crochet Scarf
- Stashbuster Crochet Laundry Sachet
- Cozy Winter Crochet Headband
- How to Crochet a Flower
- How to Crochet a Five Petal Flower for Beginners
- How to Crochet a Leaf
- How to Crochet a Rose (Video Tutorial)
- Trendy Crochet Tote Tutorial
- Crochet Arm Chair Organizer
- Cute and Easy Crochet Doily
- Tricolored Crochet Chevron Afghan Pattern
- DIY Crochet Phone Cozy
- One Hour Crochet Slippers
- How to Crochet a Lemon Stress Ball
- Gratitude Stones
- Crochet Poinsettia Flower Pattern
- Crochet Snowflake Pattern
- Easy Crochet Angel Ornament
- Angel Dishcloth Crochet Tutorial
- Quick and Easy Messy Bun Hat
- Quick Crochet Flower Hat
- Sugar & Shine Baby's First Afghan
- Adorable Crochet Baby Cocoon
- Simple Lace Summer Top
- Face the Day Crochet Bathmat
Keep going - look through ALL of our videos!
What would YOU like a tutorial on?
Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
- 20+ Basic Crochet Stitches
- 30+ Crochet Border Patterns
- Magic Circle Crochet Tutorial
- How to Read Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet for Beginners
- How to Crochet a Crossed Double Border
- 28 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
- The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Crochet Tutorials and Patterns
- How to Crochet the 3D Wave Edge
- How to Read Crochet Diagrams
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Love Knot Market Bag
- Sunflower Face Scrubby
- Simple Butterfly
- Stashbusting Lace Scarf
- Stashbusting Washcloths
- Ocean Mist Dish Towel
- Ocean Mist Round Coaster
- Bright Chevron Borderless Blanket
- Tide Knot Swimsuit Cover Up
- Be Kind Mini C2c Wall-hanging
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches Volume I eBook
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Patterns: 11 Free Stash Busters