Easy V-Stitch Cocoon Shrug
Don't look any further for an easy crochet pattern; this Easy V-Stitch Cocoon Shrug is a fabulous pattern you'll want to make right now! It's made using the v-stitch in a Lion Brand Homespun Grape color. The ruffle edging really adds a nice feminine touch to the crochet design. Because it's an open shrug, it fits almost all sizes; it's great for the expectant mom! This free crochet pattern is great to wear any time of the year.
Crochet HookP/16 or 11.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Finished Width About 26 in. (66 cm)
Finished Length About 26 in. (66 cm)
- Homespun Yarn: Grape 2 balls
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size P-15 (10 mm)
- Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
8 dc + 4 1/2 rows = 5 in. (12.5 cm) in V-st pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
V-st: Work 2 dc in indicated st or sp.
- Shrug is crocheted in one piece, from neck edge to waist edge. Piece is then folded, and armhole seams are sewn.
- Ruffle is crocheted directly onto Shrug.
- Ch 45.
- Row 1: 2 dc in 5th ch from hook (V-st made), *sk next ch, V-st in next ch; rep from * across to last 2 ch, sk next ch, dc in last ch - 20 V-sts at the end of this row.
- Row 2: Ch 3, turn, dc in sp before first V-st (beg V-st made), *V-st in sp between next 2 V-sts; rep from * across to last V-st, dc in sp between last V-st and turning ch, dc in top of turning ch (end V-st made) - at the end of this row you will have 19 V-sts, plus beg and end V-sts.
- Row 3: Ch 3, turn, *V-st in sp between next 2 V-sts across; rep from * across, dc in top of turning ch - 20 V-sts at the end of this row.
- Rows 4-23: Rep Rows 2 and 3. Fasten off.
- Fold Shrug in half, bringing first row (neck edge) and last row (waist edge) together. Beg in corner where first and last row meet, sew 6 rows together across each short end for armhole seams.
- From RS, join yarn with sl st at armhole seam, ready to work across opposite side of foundation ch.
- Rnd 1: Ch 3, 2 dc in seam and in each ch of opposite side of foundation ch, 2 dc in next armhole seam and in next 6 dc of last row of Shrug, *2 tr in next st, 3 tr in next st; rep from * across to last 6 dc of last row, 2 dc in remaining 6 dc; join with sl st in top of beg ch.
- Rnd 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in each dc to first tr, 2 dc in next 6 tr, 2 tr in each tr to last 6 tr, 2 dc in last 6 tr, 2 dc in each dc to end, dc in st at base of beg ch-3; join with sl st in top of beg ch. Fasten off.
- From RS, join yarn with sl st in armhole edge near seam.
- Rnd 1: Work 2 sc in end of each row around, sk over seam; join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sk first sc, sc in each sc around; join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 3: Rep Rnd 2.
- Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
Check out Lion Brand Yarn's company profile and other great patterns!
You can also find this crochet design in Christmas Gifts for Her: Crochet Gifts for Mom.
Read NextCoastal Shores Sweater