8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
Prayer Shawls for Rush Charity Drive
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Prayer Shawls for Rush Charity Drive
The prayer shawl drive has ended - thanks to everyone who sent in crocheted and knitted shawls! With your help, we were able to collect 340 shawls to donate to Rush Medical Center!
We are no longer collecting prayer shawls, but feel free to contact Rush Medical Center for information on how you can donate to them directly. And congratulations to our random grand prize winner, Millie Gibson from Anchorage, AK!
AllFreeCrochet and AllFreeKnitting love making a difference through knit and crochet. We’ve hosted a number of different charity drives in the past, and we are excited to announce our next charity initiative - Prayer Shawls for Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL!
From November 1 - December 1, 2017, we will be collecting your prayer shawls to donate to Rush.
By crocheting or knitting a prayer shawl for someone in need, you will be helping provide a bit of comfort to those who need it most. The shawls often provide the patient warmth and a comforting embrace during difficult times. It lets them know that someone cares and it gives them hope of recovery and peace. Something so simple can be the brightest thing that has happened to the patient in some time, as many have often driven from great distances for treatment and have nothing comforting from home with them.
That's where you come in, knitters and crocheters: we need your help in providing patients at Rush with knit and crochet prayer shawls. Whether you work up a quick and simple one-color shawl or channel all the brightness of a rainbow into your design, think warm thoughts of peace and hope while you do it. Once you finish your design, send it over to us! We'll be collecting all of your knit and crochet shawls to donate.
Have you ever wondered what a prayer shawl is or considered giving one to someone? This Guide for Giving a Prayer Shawl has some great tips, tricks, and advice for anyone who has been thinking about giving a prayer shawl to someone in need, as well as some thoughts on the prayer shawl history.
- Although we aren't requiring a certain size, color, or shape, be sure that the shawl is big enough to wrap around someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or lying in a hospital bed. Both men and women will receive these shawls, so keep that in mind if you can't decide on a color.
- Please avoid wool and other exotic yarns because these may cause allergic reactions. We recommend using cotton and acrylic yarns.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer. Many of the patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so please be sure to add your first name and where you're from.
If you're at a loss for a crochet or knit shawl pattern, two of our favorite designers were nice enough to send us their patterns exclusively for this wonderful charity! You may work up any pattern you like, but these provide some great free options if you can't find anything else.
For our crocheters, this Duchess of Cambridge Prayer Shawl (left) designed by Marie Segares is easy to memorize, which should allow you to focus on healing thoughts as you crochet it. You can customize the colors of this shawl, and the rectangular shape makes it incredibly versatile to wear snuggly.
For the knitters, the On the Wings of a Prayer Shawl (right) designed by Jessica Anderson is a quick and simple triangular shawl. The unique sections of textural stitches not only add interest, they also give you a chance to change up your thoughts, thus weaving more than one good vibe into the fibers of the shawl.
Crocheting a prayer shawl is surprisingly simple to do, so crocheters of practically any skill level can work up any one of the free crochet patterns inside our collection of 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls.
The prayer shawl drive has ended - thank you for all your donations!
Of course, you’ll get that wonderful feeling by donating something to charity and helping someone in need. But, we’re also offering an exclusive yarn bundle featuring various skeins of yarn and knit and crochet books! Send us a homemade prayer shawl, either knit or crochet, and you’ll be automatically entered to win this fabulous prize.
When the contest is over, we will contact the lucky winner and send you your prize!
We really couldn’t have made it easier! Knit or crochet a shawl, big enough to comfort someone, and weave a few warm and healing thoughts into it as you work. Then, box it up and send it to us. The only thing you MUST DO is put a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
- Please include your name, address, phone number, and email address with your donation for contest entry.
- Your donation must be postmarked by December 1st, 2017 for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- No shawl to make but still want to enter to win the exclusive yarn bundle? Answer the question below by leaving a comment on this blog post. Please note that the giveaway begins November 1st – comments will only be considered beginning then.
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. Commenting on this page will enter you for a chance to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and will not be tallied.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account. Please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.
- You have until December 1st, 2017 at 11:59 pm CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments submitted after the deadline will not be counted.
What is your favorite comforting quote or thought?
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Join Our Charity Drive and Win Big!
Charitable Contributions: 48 Patterns to Crochet for Charity
Donate for Your Chance to Win - Prayer Shawl Drive
Sweet Little Baby Hugs Preemie Hat
Wrapped in Lace PICC Line Cover
Little Hats, Big Hearts
Sweet Lil Peas
God's Tiny Angels
Free Crochet Knocker Pattern
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet