8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
Hats & Scarves for Hope Charity Drive
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
AllFreeCrochet and AllFreeKnitting love making a difference through knit and crochet. We’ve hosted a number of different charity drives in the past, and we are excited to announce our next charity initiative - knit and crocheted hats and scarves for Warriors for Hope in Chicago, Illinois!
UPDATE: This charity drive has ended! Thank you so much to everyone that sent in donations. We collected 109 scarves and 70 hats!
If you'd like to send hats and scarves directly to Warriors for Hope, you can do so at the following address:
Warriors for Hope
738 East Dundee Rd
Palatine, IL 60067
From March 15 - April 15, 2018, we will be collecting your handmade hats and scarves in our Northbrook, Ill office. We'll then donate these items to Warriors for Hope, who will then pass them along to cancer patients in the Chicagoland area. Warriors for Hope has distributed items to a variety of hospitals and cancer centers and have worked with North Shore University Health System quite a bit, as well as Children’s Lurie in Chicago. Learn more about Warriors for Hope here and how you can help.
That's where you come in, knitters and crocheters: we need your help in providing cancer patients with homemade knit and crochet hats and scarves. Whether you work up a quick and simple one-color hat or channel all the brightness of a rainbow into your design, think warm thoughts of peace and hope while you do it. Once you finish your design, send it over to us! We'll be collecting all of your knit and crochet hats and scarves to donate.
Table of Contents
Although we aren't requiring a certain size, color, or shape, Warriors for Hope prefers softer yarns because most treatments cause skin sensitivity. Their preferred yarn is Bernat Blanket yarn, but will accept a variety because everyone is different and not every patient has sensitivity caused by treatment.
Please avoid wool and other exotic yarns because these may cause allergic reactions.
A variety of sizes and colors would be great, which allows patients get to pick which item they want!
Please feel free to attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer. Many of the patients like to know who made the hat or scarf for them, so please be sure to add your first name and where you're from.
You may follow any knit or crochet hat and/or scarf pattern you prefer, but we've included some of our favorites below from a few of our most trusted bloggers:
- Cozy Bulky Knit Hat
Who doesn't love a good bulky hat pattern? This Cozy Bulky Knit Hat is not only perfect to keep you warm during the cooler months, but can easily be extended into a super cute beanie.
- Winter Cable Knit Beanie [video]
You cannot deny how adorable this Winter Cable Knit Beanie pattern is. This super helpful knitting video lays out exactly how you can make this hat in both adult and kid sizes, all you have to do is adjust the measurements.
- Beginner's Knit Infinity Scarf
The Beginner's Knit Infinity Scarf uses the very simple slip stitch to create a beautiful knit scarf. This is a great pattern for all skill levels and creates a lovely unisex scarf pattern, depending on what color yarn you use.
- Crochet Beanie for Beginners
You don't have to be a master crocheter in order to master this super cute hat pattern. The Crochet Beanie for Beginners is super easy to crochet, plus there is a helpful video tutorial that will walk you through the pattern each step of the way.
- Beginner's Crochet Scarf
If you're just learning to crochet, try your hand at this Beginner's Crochet Scarf. All you need is one skein of worsted weight yarn in any color of your choice. This free crochet scarf pattern works up quickly using three simple crochet stitches.
- How to Crochet a Super Bulky Scarf
Learn how to work with super bulky yarn and a large crochet hook to crochet a super bulky scarf just in time for this winter. This super bulky crochet scarf is only 9 stitches wide because of how thick the yarn is, so you can work up a long scarf in just one evening.
Where to Send Your Hats and/or Scarves:
Warriors for Hope
738 East Dundee Rd
Palatine Il 60067
Win a Yarn Lover's Prize Pack!
Of course, you’ll get that wonderful feeling by donating something to charity and helping someone in need. But, we’re also offering an exclusive yarn bundle featuring various skeins of yarn and knit and crochet books!
Send us a homemade hat or scarf (knit or crochet!), and you’ll be automatically entered to win this fabulous prize. The only thing you MUST DO is put a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
- Please include your name, address, phone number, and email address with your donation for contest entry.
- Your donation must be postmarked by April 15th 2018 for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
- No hat or scarf to make but still want to enter to win the yarn bundle? Leave a comment on this page below. Please note that the giveaway begins March 15, 2018 – comments will only be considered beginning then.
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. Commenting on this page will enter you for a chance to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and will not be tallied.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account. Please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.
- You have until April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 pm CST to leave your comment on this page. Comments submitted after the deadline will not be counted.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Pattern of the Day
This crochet pattern will transport you back over 50 years in time! You'll go slack-jawed over the 1941 Shell Stitch Crochet Cardigan… See more
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet