14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Marly Bird is an avid crocheter and knitter who loves to share her passion with students. Balancing her day as wife, mommy, designer, National Spokesperson for Red Heart Yarns, teacher and podcast host is a challenge, but Marly wouldn’t change any of it.
Marly learned to crochet in 1999 from her grandmother and in 2004 learned to knit from a dear friend. From the moment she picked up the hook and needles Marly knew that she had to be a part of this industry. In 2006 she quit her job to do just that. Her first adventure into this crafty business was to begin a podcast. With a BA in Speech Communication from Colorado State University, it seemed that a podcast all about her love for crochet and knitting was a logical step for Marly to make. Since Marly is bi-crafty, she focused her show on both crochet and knitting. Also, little-known fact, her podcast was the FIRST CROCHET podcast on iTunes! She named the show Yarn Thing Podcast because it really is all about the yarn and not the medium you use to work with it. No rivalry between the two crafts on her show! Doing the podcast must have been a good start because it was on her podcast that she made connections with some of the highly talented people in the industry and even began to review for such publishers as Vogue, Interweave, Martingale, F&W, XRX, Potter Craft, and Leisure Arts.
Wanting to move even farther into this industry, Marly decided she would venture into the world of design. After all, she never really followed patterns instead choosing to alter this, that, and the other to make a piece her own. Well, after some gentle proding from some of her friends and family (as well as a couple of her favorite designers) she attended her first TNNA in June of 2008. It was at this first show that she met the owners of Bijou Basin Ranch luxury Yak Fiber. Soon after she began to design for them and she is now their Creative Director.
It has been a wild ride since her first published patterns in Fall of 2008 (Fino Mittones, Interweave Crochet Fall 2008 and Eyelet Hat and Scarf, Knit Simple Magazine Holiday 2008). Marly is author of I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting Entrelac (Leisure Arts, 2013), co-author of Knitting for Dummies 3rd ed. (Wiley, 2013), Curvy Crochet: fashion for the plus size woman (Leisure Arts, 2010), published in some of the top magazines in the world, has patterns in collaborative books, works for a variety of yarn companies, is project manager for the patterns of a new yarn line and independently publishes her own patterns.
When asked about her design style, Marly says she likes to design items that she would want to use or wear. Most of her designs are sized from S to 3x as she understands the need for quality plus size garments for knitters and crocheters. She likes to make pieces that are stylish, sophisticated and yet down to earth.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Pattern of the Day
The sad truth is that flowers wilt, and you will have to throw out that special bouquet some time. With crochet flower patterns,… Continue reading: "Forever Fabulous Flowersvideocam"
- Designer of the Week: Marie Segares from Underground Crafter
- Sanibel Pool Dress & Beach Cover Up
- Michael Sellick
- Lisa Hamblin
- Designer of the Week: Jessie Rayot from Jessie At Home
- Kristi Simpson
- Designer of the Week: Elena Hunt from Beatrice Ryan Designs
- Heather Tucker
- Drew Emborsky
- Clotilde Menendez
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Wisteria Drop Kimono
- Square Bottom Tote
- Flower Garden Diamond Coaster
- Treasured Crochet Moss Stitch Baby Afghan
- How To Crochet A Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Cute Little Flower Tutorial
- Mustard & Co Tunisian Crochet Blanket
- Max The Cat
- Textured Mandala Doily
- Field Of Flowers Shawl
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet