Thanks for signing up!
Beginner Squares Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
There is nothing better than the feeling of finishing a crocheted afghan. Now everyone (including beginners!) can experience that same level of accomplishment with this Beginner Squares Afghan. This free crochet afghan pattern is super simple to crochet. Plus, it's quick to work up using any color Lion Brand Homespun yarn of your choice. This afghan will keep you warm and toasty on the couch as you snuggle up to watch TV or read a book.
Crochet Hook: K/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
About 45 x 54 in. (114 x 137 cm)
LION BRAND® HOMESPUN® (Art. #790)
#417 Great Plains 2 skeins (A)
#419 Tumbleweed 2 skeins (B)
#398 Plum 2 skeins (C)
#414 Amethyst 2 skeins (D)
or colors of your choice
- LION BRAND® crochet hook size K-10.5 (6.5 mm)
- LION BRAND® large-eyed blunt needle
11 half double crochet = 4 in. (10 cm).
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
STRIPS 1 and 5
With A, chain 25.
Row 1: Half double crochet in 3rd chain from hook and each chain across – 24 stitches.
Rows 2-16: Chain 2, turn, half double crochet in each stitch across.
Change to B, and work 16 rows in half double crochet.
Change to C and work 16 rows in half double crochet.
Change to D and work 16 rows in half double crochet.
Change to A and work 16 rows in half double crochet.
Change to B and work 16 rows in half double crochet.
Work as for Strip 1, first working 16 rows with B, then 16 rows with C, 16 rows with D, 16 rows with A, 16 rows with B, and 16 rows with C. Fasten off.
Work as for Strip 1, first working 16 rows with C, then 16 rows with D, 16 rows with A, 16 rows with B, 16 rows with C, and 16 rows with D. Fasten off.
Work as for Strip 1, first working 16 rows with D, then 16 rows with A, 16 rows with B, 16 rows with C, 16 rows with D, and 16 rows with A. Fasten off.
Arrange strips in numerical order from left to right and sew together along long edges, matching rows. Weave in ends.
Find this pattern and more in our free eBook The Most Popular Patterns for Afghans: 16 Knit and Crochet Afghan Patterns from Lion Brand.
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 16 Easy Summer Crochet Patterns
- 22 Popular Free Crochet Patterns
- 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- 9 Free 4th of July Crochet Patterns
- DIY Accessories to Crochet: DIY Jewelry And Crochet Belts
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- How to Crochet, Volume 1: Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
- How to Make Crochet Bags: 11 Fantastic DIY Bags