FREE! Crochet Patterns delivered to your inbox every Friday from LeisureArts.com. Join thousands of other crocheters who have already signed up. Subscribe today!
Thanks for signing up!
Learning the Crochet Stitches
By: Christine Weiher
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
There are four basic crochet stitches every crocheter needs to know how to do. We start with single crochet, to half double crochet, to double crochet and triple crochet. Single crochet is the easiest stitch to do in crochet. You can make an entire pattern using single crochet stitches, but there won't be much depth or design to it. Watch the videos that go with each of these stitches to better help you out.
Single Crochet Stitch (sc)- The most basic crochet stitch used. Insert your hook into the second stitch in your chain stitch. Yarn over and pull back through the chain stick. You should end up with two loops on your hook. Yarn over again and pull the yarn through both loops. This is a single crochet stitch. The hook is placed through the second stitch only for the first row and in the first in the following.
Half Double Crochet (hc)- Yarn over and stick your hook through the third chain stitch (Again, this for the first row only. Stick your hook through the first stitch for subsequent rows). Yarn over (YO) again and pull through. Now with three loops on your hook, YO again and pull through.
Double Crochet (dc)- Yarn over and stick your hook through the fourth chain stitch. YO and pull through. YO again and pull through the first two loops on your needle. YO again and pull through the last two loops. If you double crochet every stitch, it will be a very tight weave; double crochet every other stitch for a looser weave.
Triple Crochet (tc)- For this stitch, yarn over twice and then stick your hook into the fifth stitch. YO and pull through. YO again and draw it through the first two loops on the hook. Repeat this process two more times until all the loops are off the chain! Again, use tc every other stitch for a loser stitch.
This video shows you all the stitches from single crochet, to half double, double and triple.
Triple Crochet (tc)- Watch this video to see a triple crochet stitch in action.
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn to Crochet Something New with Free Crochet Patterns
- Learn to Crochet: 25 Simple Crochet Patterns for Beginners
- How to Crochet the Bobble Stitch + Free Crochet Patterns
- Learning the Crochet Stitches
- How to Cast Off and Hide Loose Ends
- How Do You Read a Crochet Pattern?
- How to Crochet Ribbing
- Crochet Abbreviations
- Types of Yarn and Yarn Weight
- Basket Weave Stitch
- 16 Easy Summer Crochet Patterns
- 22 Popular Free Crochet Patterns
- 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- 9 Free 4th of July Crochet Patterns
- DIY Accessories to Crochet: DIY Jewelry And Crochet Belts
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- How to Crochet, Volume 1: Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
- How to Make Crochet Bags: 11 Fantastic DIY Bags