One Ball Baby Blanket and Hat
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Using only one ball of yarn, you can make a baby blanket and hat set. This is a free crochet pattern from Red Heart yarn. Have a baby shower coming up? This is the perfect pattern to have in your collection. Use any color yarn to complete this free crochet baby pattern. It's perfect for both boys and girls. You could even use yellow yarn if this is a baby shower gift and the baby's sex is unknown. Expectant mothers will cherish this homemade gift for years to come.
Crochet Hook: G/6 or 4 mm hook, K/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® “Baby Blankie™”: 1 ball 8590 Lavender
- Crochet Hooks: 6.5mm [US K-10.5] and 4mm [US G-6]
- Yarn needle
SIZE: Blanket measures 39” x 32”. Hat fits 6-9 month-old.
GAUGE: 2 repeats = 4”; 7 rows = 4” in pattern with larger hook. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
With larger hook, ch 90.
Row 1 (Right Side): Dc in 6th ch from hook, dc in next 4 ch, ch 1, skip next ch, [dc in next 5 ch, ch 1, skip next ch] 13 times, dc in last ch; turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in first dc, * ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2 **, 3 dc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to last 2 sts, end at **; skip next ch, 2 dc in next ch; turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc in next dc, * dc in next ch-2 space, ch 1, dc in next ch-2 space **, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * to last 2 sts, end at **; dc in next dc and top of ch-3; turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, * ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc; repeat from * across working last sc in top of ch-3; turn.
Row 5: Ch 4, * dc in ch-2 space, dc in next 3 dc, dc in next ch-2 space, ch 1; repeat from * to last st; dc in last sc; turn.
Rows 6-65: Repeat Rows 2-5 fifteen times. Do not turn at end of last row but pivot to work down next side.
Round 1: With right side still facing, work sc evenly around all 4 sides and work 3 sc in each corner; join with a slip st in first sc.
Round 2: * Ch 3, dc in same st, skip next 2 sc, slip st in next sc; repeat from * around adjusting as necessary at corners and end of round; join in first st of round. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
With smaller hook, ch 4; join with a slip st in first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 11 dc in ring; join with a slip st in top of ch-3 – 12 dc.
Round 2: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, [2 dc in next dc] 11 times; join – 24 dc.
Round 3: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next dc, [2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc] 11 times; join – 36 dc.
Round 4: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 2 dc, [2 dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc] 11 times; join – 48 dc.
Round 5: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, [dc in next 5 dc, ch 1] 4 times, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, [dc in next 5 dc, ch 1] 4 times; join – 50 dc and 10 ch-1 spaces.
Round 6: Slip st in next dc, (slip st, ch 1, sc) all in next dc, * ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 2 **, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc; repeat from * around, end at **; join in first sc.
Round 7: Slip st in next ch-2 space, ch 3, * dc in next 3 dc, dc in next ch-2 space, ch 1 **, dc in next ch-2 space; repeat from * around, end at **; join.
Rounds 8-12: Repeat Rounds 6 and 7 twice, and then repeat Round 6 once more.
Round 13: Ch 3, * dc in next ch-2 space, dc in next 3 dc, dc in next ch-2 space **, dc in next sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join – 60 dc.
Round 14: Ch 3, dc in each dc around; join.
Round 15: Ch 3, dc in front loop of each dc around; join.
Round 16: Ch 3, dc in both loops of each dc around; join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Fold up last 2 rounds.
How to Buy the Yarn:
Want to make this adorable baby set? Buy the yarn now from the Hooked on Crochet Store.
Patterns for more inspiration!
Find this great pattern and many more in AllFreeCrochet's Most Popular Free Crochet Patterns: February 2012.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Easiest Baby Blanket Pattern Ever
- Light and Lacy Crochet Baby Blanket
- Easy Baby Afghan Tutorial
- Addicting Crochet Baby Blanket
- Lavender Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- 21 Free Baby Blanket Crochet Patterns
- Rockabye Baby Granny Square Blanket
- Star Blanket
- Amazing Grace Crochet Baby Blanket
- Effortless Baby Afghan
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- 9 Free 4th of July Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet a Blanket for Infants & Toddlers: 11 Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Man Crafts: 10 Free Patterns to Crochet for Men
- Never Ending Granny Afghans: 8 Crochet Patterns with Diagrams & Video Tutorials
- Pretty Flowers to Crochet: Brightly Colored Crochet Flower Patterns
- Summer Crochet Patterns: 16 Easy Summer Crochet Patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Premier Serenity Active Yarn
- Pastel Heaven Baby Blanket
- Shells and Stripes Crochet Blanket
- Santa's Angel Baby Booties
- Holiday Spirits Crochet Cover
- Crochet Christmas Tree Garland
- Makeshift Mistletoe Kissing Ball
- Christmas Tree Decorative Duo
- Berry Leaf Table Runner
- Santa's Helpers Aprons