One Ball Baby Blanket and Hat
We are adding the pattern to your Crochet Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Crochet Patterns.
Using only one ball of yarn, you can make a baby blanket and hat set. This is a free crochet pattern from Red Heart yarn. Have a baby shower coming up? This is the perfect pattern to have in your collection. Use any color yarn to complete this free crochet baby pattern. It's perfect for both boys and girls. You could even use yellow yarn if this is a baby shower gift and the baby's sex is unknown. Expectant mothers will cherish this homemade gift for years to come.
Crochet Hook: G/6 or 4 mm hook, K/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® “Baby Blankie™”: 1 ball 8590 Lavender
- Crochet Hooks: 6.5mm [US K-10.5] and 4mm [US G-6]
- Yarn needle
SIZE: Blanket measures 39” x 32”. Hat fits 6-9 month-old.
GAUGE: 2 repeats = 4”; 7 rows = 4” in pattern with larger hook. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
With larger hook, ch 90.
Row 1 (Right Side): Dc in 6th ch from hook, dc in next 4 ch, ch 1, skip next ch, [dc in next 5 ch, ch 1, skip next ch] 13 times, dc in last ch; turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in first dc, * ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2 **, 3 dc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to last 2 sts, end at **; skip next ch, 2 dc in next ch; turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc in next dc, * dc in next ch-2 space, ch 1, dc in next ch-2 space **, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * to last 2 sts, end at **; dc in next dc and top of ch-3; turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, * ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc; repeat from * across working last sc in top of ch-3; turn.
Row 5: Ch 4, * dc in ch-2 space, dc in next 3 dc, dc in next ch-2 space, ch 1; repeat from * to last st; dc in last sc; turn.
Rows 6-65: Repeat Rows 2-5 fifteen times. Do not turn at end of last row but pivot to work down next side.
Round 1: With right side still facing, work sc evenly around all 4 sides and work 3 sc in each corner; join with a slip st in first sc.
Round 2: * Ch 3, dc in same st, skip next 2 sc, slip st in next sc; repeat from * around adjusting as necessary at corners and end of round; join in first st of round. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
With smaller hook, ch 4; join with a slip st in first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 11 dc in ring; join with a slip st in top of ch-3 – 12 dc.
Round 2: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, [2 dc in next dc] 11 times; join – 24 dc.
Round 3: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next dc, [2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc] 11 times; join – 36 dc.
Round 4: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 2 dc, [2 dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc] 11 times; join – 48 dc.
Round 5: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, [dc in next 5 dc, ch 1] 4 times, 2 dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, [dc in next 5 dc, ch 1] 4 times; join – 50 dc and 10 ch-1 spaces.
Round 6: Slip st in next dc, (slip st, ch 1, sc) all in next dc, * ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 2 **, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc; repeat from * around, end at **; join in first sc.
Round 7: Slip st in next ch-2 space, ch 3, * dc in next 3 dc, dc in next ch-2 space, ch 1 **, dc in next ch-2 space; repeat from * around, end at **; join.
Rounds 8-12: Repeat Rounds 6 and 7 twice, and then repeat Round 6 once more.
Round 13: Ch 3, * dc in next ch-2 space, dc in next 3 dc, dc in next ch-2 space **, dc in next sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join – 60 dc.
Round 14: Ch 3, dc in each dc around; join.
Round 15: Ch 3, dc in front loop of each dc around; join.
Round 16: Ch 3, dc in both loops of each dc around; join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends. Fold up last 2 rounds.
How to Buy the Yarn:
Want to make this adorable baby set? Buy the yarn now from the Hooked on Crochet Store.
Patterns for more inspiration!
Find this great pattern and many more in AllFreeCrochet's Most Popular Free Crochet Patterns: February 2012.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crochet readers
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- How To Crochet Granny Squares: 9 Free Crochet Afghan Patterns
- 16 Crochet Shawl Patterns: DIY Clothing You'll Love
- Guide To Free Crochet Patterns
- Hop Into 7 Free Easter Crochet Patterns
- 22 Popular Free Crochet Patterns
- One Skein Patterns: Crochet Made Simple
- 11 Crochet Baby Cocoon Patterns
- Fall Crochet: 16 Free Crochet Patterns
- 8 Adorable Crochet Amigurumi Patterns
- 7 Crochet Lapghan Patterns
- Spring is Here! 10 Free Crochet Flower Patterns and Butterfly Fun
- 11 Free Christmas Crochet Patterns for Your Home
- 9 Free 4th of July Crochet Patterns
- 8 Last Minute Valentine Gifts
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 14 Easy Crochet Bag Patterns
- 5 Free Christmas Crochet Patterns: Crochet Christmas Wreaths
- 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet and Knitting Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Wrap up with 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Free Crochet Designs: 10 Home Decor Christmas Crochet Patterns
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Winter Wonderland: 17 Winter Patterns to Crochet
- Free Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization Ideas, How to Crochet On the Go, and more
- Crochet Scarf Designs: Cute Crochet Scarf Patterns for all Seasons
- Never Ending Granny Afghans: 8 Crochet Patterns with Diagrams & Video Tutorials
- 16 Easy Summer Crochet Patterns
- Man Crafts: 10 Free Patterns to Crochet for Men
- The Most Popular Patterns for Afghans: 16 Knit and Crochet Afghan Patterns from Lion Brand
- Crochet in Color: 11 Colorful Crochet Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Project
- 14 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Beanie Hats, Crochet Cap Patterns, and More
- Pretty Flowers to Crochet: Brightly Colored Crochet Flower Patterns
- How to Crochet a Blanket for Infants & Toddlers: 11 Crochet Afghan Patterns
- 12 Halloween Crafts to Crochet
- Lion Brand's New Fall Collection: 15 Free Crochet Scarf Patterns, Afghan Patterns, and More
- How to Make Crochet Bags: 11 Fantastic DIY Bags
- Secret Santa Gifts: 13 Gifts To Crochet
- 12 Halloween Crafts to Crochet
- Use Up Leftover Yarn: 12 Free Crochet Patterns for Scrap Yarn, Plus One Skein Wonders
- 8 Different Crochet Stitches: Learn To Crochet Something New With Free Crochet Patterns
- Free Crochet Patterns for Every Season: 17 DIY Accessories + Crochet Clothing Patterns
- DIY Home Decor: 19 Free Crochet Kitchen and Dining Patterns
- How to Crochet Edges & Make Crochet Borders on Patterns
- Summer Crochet Patterns: 16 Easy Summer Crochet Patterns
- Winter Fashion for Toddlers + Baby Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet, Volume 1: Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
- How to Crochet the Best Free Crochet Patterns of 2013
- DIY Accessories to Crochet: DIY Jewelry And Crochet Belts
- Make a Crochet Cowl: 10 Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Red Heart's Best - 12 Free Baby Crochet Patterns
- 7 Free Crochet Prayer Shawls
- 13 Free Baby Crochet Patterns: Crochet Baby Hats, Crochet Booties & More
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Seton Crochet Group
- Yarn Butler
- Colorado Beanie Hat Top Down
- Peace Sign Shoulder Bag
- Faux Crochet Outdoor Boots
- Fuzzy Top Crochet Beanie
- Gradient Love Crochet Heart
- Scrapbuster Crochet Juggling Balls
- Two-Toned Crochet Bracelet Pattern
- Pacific Sunset Crochet Fingerless Mitts